Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just bought my first diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
JMO! But I think I would keep the 3.73 and ditch the tires! Unless your some kind of serious off roader!

Smokie
I also would ditch those tires unless you plan on spending serious money re-gearing. That's what's giving you the feeling of "no power". In my opinion big lifts and big tires only are good if your off roading. Towing with all that just adds more stress to everything.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
bones0351
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are killing me! I just got that d-mn suspension sorted out! I bought the truck with the front end lifted (no idea what brand) about 6 inches. The rear had stacked blocks ( factory 3 inch and a really narrow 2 inch) so I replaced that with a 6 inch spring from ProComp. Then bought new tires and wheels.
I can't go back to stock now, way too much invested, just to turn around and re-invest in the same stuff.
Dang it yall got me thinking now, maybe I could find some used stuff on the Craigslist, or something, or offer up a trade....

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to rebuild the pumpikins with new ring and pinions? They cant be more that a few hundred each.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 PM
bones0351
Freshman User
Just got done with the 50 cent mod. Only It cost me $280 since I replaced the valve cover gaskets. It looks like someone was in there before, since I have the updated harness that does not allow the 50 cent mod to fit. But I broke one of the gasket clips, and the other looked like it was leaking so I went ahead and replaced both.

The other $120 was for the GPCM. I started throwing codes for the Glow Plug failure for my entire left bank, and did a little research and came up with the GPCM. I have had a few too many to test drive it, but it stopped throwing codes. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it does.

As far as the suspension, I think I am going to leave it alone and regear the pumpkins. It is not that I off-road a lot, but I like to know that I can if I need too! Just in case you know
Cheers!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM
bones0351
Freshman User
How is the new Signature?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Ill offer something too this:

Instead of dropping $$ re-gearing, or dropping the lift, maybe get a hold of one of the tuners out there (joe's gonna kick me) like DP, PHP, swamps, or beans.

I honestly think a good TS 6pos with the right tunes will help you out substantially, and save you some money. I think from swamps a chip with 6 tunes cant be more that expensive on a stock truck? (i may be way off on this one). Take note this isnt personal experience, ive never towed anything with having a big lift/big tires, but i see guys who do it ALL the time and everyone of them has some custom tuning and no complaints.

And p.s. when i get my motor in my truck, if you ever need any help give me a scream im right across the river in indian head stationed at cbirf (lol i know land of the pogs).

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bones0351
Just got done with the 50 cent mod. Only It cost me $280 since I replaced the valve cover gaskets. It looks like someone was in there before, since I have the updated harness that does not allow the 50 cent mod to fit. But I broke one of the gasket clips, and the other looked like it was leaking so I went ahead and replaced both.

The other $120 was for the GPCM. I started throwing codes for the Glow Plug failure for my entire left bank, and did a little research and came up with the GPCM. I have had a few too many to test drive it, but it stopped throwing codes. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it does.

What is a GPCM? glow plug ? ?
What code were you throwing?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glow Plug Control Module. GPCM is a California requirement to verify that each individual glow plug is firing. The GPCM's take the place of a standard Glow Plug Relay(GPR)

Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Turfzilla
Tuned
My Ex was orginally in Cali according to carfax. I do have have a GPR, so I guess I dont have a GPCM, Correct?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
All excursions have gpcm's.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 PM
bones0351
Freshman User
thanks for the offer John Deere. Same goes for you, if you need any help with your engine just let me know!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 AM
bones0351
Freshman User
I have been busy working on Big Lou these last few months. I added a console with CB, two Power ports and up-fitter switches. Here are a few pictures:

Wiring inside:

This is unfinished, it has since been cleaned up more. There is a constant hot fuse block, and a switched hot fuse block in that mess. This is to help me later if I want to add or remove anything, I don't have to keep hacking the factory harness.

Here is a picture of the completed console sitting in the truck:

Sorry about the low quality, it was taken with my phone.

Here is a shot of it sitting on my bench:

You can see I changed a few things around after this shot was taken.

The box is nothing but 1/2 inch particle board, painted with bed liner. The switch plate is a piece of aluminum sheet I got at the Hardware store and scuffed with a scratch pad. In hindsight I should have used 3/4 inch wood. The 1/2 split when I screwed it together. (Yes Pilot holes were drilled, didnt help any )

Got it all installed and hooked up, but there is a problem with the CB radio. It turns on by itself (the on/off switch is off) when you turn the key, and then it shuts down about 5 sec later. Not sure what the problem is, going to contact Cobra after the New Year and see what they say.

The smaller screen below the CB is the mini Tablet that came with my Vivid Programmer.

There are extra interior lights on either side of the console, to help illuminate the floorboards when you drop that important screw

The switches activate reverse floods, front floods, and side floods. There are also two that are empty and ready for something else.

Got a new waterpump, and unit bearings for the front end. Going to tear into that soon also.

I will get a shot of the reverse floods if you want, they are pretty bright and will help when hooking up at night. the front floods are not installed yet, trying to decide where to drill the holes in the bumper, or where else to mount them. Any ideas?

Hope you all had a good Christmas, and Happy New Year
Bones