Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Info on the Aerostar

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
BigTomMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Info on the Aerostar

I drive a 1992 Ford Aerostar XL extended window with a 4.0litre V6 with the 3:73 rear end posi. i would like to know any information concerning this van, transmission and durability, durability of anything in this van and what type of thing this is, i would also like to know about my rear differential because i think i MAY have blown the clutches in my posi rear end.. any info on this van would help greatly, i need any information, and is this van good for cross country journeys... actually.. say massachusetts to indiana?!

Old 04-16-2003, 11:18 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Info on the Aerostar

The 4.0L and transmission are both robust and long lived if given basic maintenance. They can easily go 200,00+ miles. The majority of the engine related problems are decaying plug wires and plugs, dirty idle air control valve (IAC), mass air flow sensors (MAF) and thermostats.

The front suspensions do require attention to the upper control arm ball joint and tie rod ends, both which wear quickly. So, if you are planning a long haul, this would be one area which can make for a miserable trip if neglected. Repairs are fairly simple and can DIY if you are handy with a wrench.

The rear differential could be a problem. Remove the rear cover and look carefully for metallic particles - signs your positraction discs may be worn or ruined. If you find lots, then a rebuild is likely necessary. If just a few fine particles, try thoroughly flushing the diff and refill, being sure to add the special posi lube.
This may be all that is necessary to restore full function.

We have made several cross country family trips in our van without incident. Running fully loaded with passengers and luggage, adding a set of air adjustable shocks on the rear greatly improved the handling and feel on those long hauls.