1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I cleaned the heads up so there aren't any hot spots. But, I'm running 14 BTDC initial lead - at least I think I am. Got to thinking about that on the drive today and decided I'd better check to make sure.

But it isn't running that lean. According to the AFR meter I'm running 14-15:1 most of the time, but there are long periods where all the LED's go out, which puts it above 15. Bill said they used to tune for 16:1 for economy, and I don't think I'm quite that far.

That brings me to a question for y'all: I'm thinking a thread about tuning an Edelbrock might be helpful. I could include what I've learned about and from the AFR, and there's a lot to be learned there. Maybe we could get some of the real pros to contribute, and it might help the guys that are afraid of them or are just throwing jets and/or rods at them. Thoughts?
I agree !

Originally Posted by bruno2
That sounds like a great idea. I am green on carbs and may it be helpful to even have some pics and explain what certain parts are and what they do.
What he said !

Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dad's Truck Build.

Gary, here is what I have in harnesses from 89 and 90 trucks (these fit the switches and panels). First picture is right side, second is left. I couldn't find the cross cowl harness, it may be somewhere else.

While I was taking these, I dropped the little Pentax and cracked the LCD display screen. Since it doesn't have a viewfinder, it is going to be a pain to use, all the functions display on the LCD.

Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Gary, here is what I have in harnesses from 89 and 90 trucks (these fit the switches and panels). First picture is right side, second is left. I couldn't find the cross cowl harness, it may be somewhere else.

While I was taking these, I dropped the little Pentax and cracked the LCD display screen. Since it doesn't have a viewfinder, it is going to be a pain to use, all the functions display on the LCD.
Bill - First, sorry about the camera. That will be a significant loss.

Second, I think I could use the wiring as well as the switches. And, I may have the cross-cowl harness for an 85 - would it work?

Last, two of the guys have asked for a how-to on tuning an Edelbrock, although they seem to want a basic carb tutorial as well. Anyway, you are way beyond me on carbs, so would you be willing to proofread, upgrade, correct things I put together?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

I am going to ask Pentax if it can be repaired. The cross cowl harness may work, plugs might be different, but they can be changed. On the Edelbrock/Carter, yes I will proofread and help with it.

I will put all the wiring pieces together for you and send it along with the grille emblem Bruno wanted.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I am going to ask Pentax if it can be repaired. The cross cowl harness may work, plugs might be different, but they can be changed. On the Edelbrock/Carter, yes I will proofread and help with it.

I will put all the wiring pieces together for you and send it along with the grille emblem Bruno wanted.
Hopefully they can repair it.

On the carb stuff, I certainly appreciate your help. And, I'd appreciate the help of the rest of you pros out there - PLEASE!

On the cables and switches, thanks but I would at least like to pay the shipping and I'd like to pay more if you'll let me know what via PM. Again, thanks!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Bill! I didnt know if you remembered or not. You wouldnt happen to have any headlight supports,headlights a grill or bezels for a 96 F250 would you?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Dad's Truck Build.

Originally Posted by bruno2
Thanks Bill! I didnt know if you remembered or not. You wouldnt happen to have any headlight supports,headlights a grill or bezels for a 96 F250 would you?
No, the one I got the parts off the grille, headlights etc. were gone, probably partially destroyed by the tree impact.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Gary, I do have the cross cowl harness from the 1990 F-250 parts truck. It has a two pin female connector that plugged into the dash harness for the window and lock power.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary, I do have the cross cowl harness from the 1990 F-250 parts truck. It has a two pin female connector that plugged into the dash harness for the window and lock power.
Is that what those harnesses plug into? In other words, what you have would plug into that harness?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Yes. on the 90 it was part of the dash harness that plugged into the fuse box. It fit into the 86 fuse box with no problem. If I find the pigtail I'll include it too.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes. on the 90 it was part of the dash harness that plugged into the fuse box. It fit into the 86 fuse box with no problem. If I find the pigtail I'll include it too.
Thanks! As said, I would like to pay.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Ok, I have the power pigtail, it was still plugged into the 86 fuse box. I have a bunch of switches for the 87-91 panels also. As soon as I find a box to stuff it into an I have your address I will ship it to you.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
PM sent with the address. But, as it says, I do want to pay. And, thanks a BUNCH!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Vacuum Gauge & Carb Jetting

I "read" the #5 plug today, as shown in the first picture. Basically it looks exactly like it did when I checked it after the 260 mile trip with stock jetting. Which is interesting since the last 260 miles was with jetting that is 7.1% leaner on cruise, which is where it was for 99% or more of the time. So, unless I should install new plugs before each test, things haven't changed enough to sway the plugs.

Given that, I would say the AFR meter is probably the better tool for jetting than the plugs since I certainly can see the difference on it. But, one tool I haven't had installed is a vacuum gauge, so I did that today. As you can see in the 2nd picture it is an oldie. And, it takes me back to the 70's as it was a permanent fixture on my '72 F250 Explorer w/a 390 & a Q-Jet. Anyway, this will let me know more about how the engine likes the mix since how much throttle has to be used to maintain a given speed shows up as vacuum. And, it shows me how close I am to bringing the metering rods up and enrichening the mix - which I can see on the AFR meter.

And, speaking of mix, as I've pointed out before Edelbrock doesn't have a combination of jet and rod between the stock 1406 ones and what they call #8 combination, which is the one I ran on the last trip and which is 7.1% leaner than the stock 1406 jetting. But, I have a Carter Strip Kit and there are 5 metering rod pairs in it and none of those are the same as the 7 in the Edelbrock kit for the 1406. (There are also several additional jet sizes in the Carter kit that aren't in the Edelbrock kit, but they are all either larger or smaller than the 3 jets in the Edelbrock kit, so I don't think they are options.) So, I plugged the sizes for those rods into my spread sheet and found one rod that I'm going to try on the next run, which is Thursday. This rod (.076 x .055") with the original jet (.098") will be 3.8% leaner on cruise, which is just about half-way between the stock jetting and the setup I just tried, which is a bit too lean. However, the power portion of the rod will be 11% leaner than the stock jetting's power range, so that may be an issue. But, one thing at a time - I want to get the cruise AFR right and then move to the power stage.

Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I "read" the #5 plug today, as shown in the first picture. Basically it looks exactly like it did when I checked it after the 260 mile trip with stock jetting. Which is interesting since the last 260 miles was with jetting that is 7.1% leaner on cruise, which is where it was for 99% or more of the time. So, unless I should install new plugs before each test, things haven't changed enough to sway the plugs.

Given that, I would say the AFR meter is probably the better tool for jetting than the plugs since I certainly can see the difference on it. But, one tool I haven't had installed is a vacuum gauge, so I did that today. As you can see in the 2nd picture it is an oldie. And, it takes me back to the 70's as it was a permanent fixture on my '72 F250 Explorer w/a 390 & a Q-Jet. Anyway, this will let me know more about how the engine likes the mix since how much throttle has to be used to maintain a given speed shows up as vacuum. And, it shows me how close I am to bringing the metering rods up and enrichening the mix - which I can see on the AFR meter.

And, speaking of mix, as I've pointed out before Edelbrock doesn't have a combination of jet and rod between the stock 1406 ones and what they call #8 combination, which is the one I ran on the last trip and which is 7.1% leaner than the stock 1406 jetting. But, I have a Carter Strip Kit and there are 5 metering rod pairs in it and none of those are the same as the 7 in the Edelbrock kit for the 1406. (There are also several additional jet sizes in the Carter kit that aren't in the Edelbrock kit, but they are all either larger or smaller than the 3 jets in the Edelbrock kit, so I don't think they are options.) So, I plugged the sizes for those rods into my spread sheet and found one rod that I'm going to try on the next run, which is Thursday. This rod (.076 x .055") with the original jet (.098") will be 3.8% leaner on cruise, which is just about half-way between the stock jetting and the setup I just tried, which is a bit too lean. However, the power portion of the rod will be 11% leaner than the stock jetting's power range, so that may be an issue. But, one thing at a time - I want to get the cruise AFR right and then move to the power stage.
Wow, What a flashback!!!

I had a vacuum gauge like that on my 57 chevy back in the 70's..
It did help with the fuel mileage IF you kept your foot out of the Carter 625 competition series carb..

I wonder if all the 1406 carbs come with the same stock jetting..
Mine is an old one(bought in 95)..still has webber stamped..Trav..

Last edited by truckertrav; 11-06-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build