1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I learned long ago with SMS messages to proofread before sending, phones will sometimes use NOT the words you're thinking of yet they match the buttons you're pushing.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wasn't SMS, but plan old email. And, old eyes.

But, speaking of SMS, please check yours. Question for you re the bed.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ahh, yes, gotta love iPhone auto correct. Mine is turned off on purpose.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I looked at the window switch bezels, the lettering seems to just be printed on, not raised or recessed.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a message the other day that a friend of mines Grandmother was dieting and she had to rush to St. Louis to see her. I thought man thats some diet she must be losing so much weight she is going to disappear.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM
bruno2
Postmaster

Trollin!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
I looked at the window switch bezels, the lettering seems to just be printed on, not raised or recessed.
That's what I thought it looked like in the pics. I hope to get to the shop tomorrow and check out the openings in the door panels.

Originally Posted by bruno2
I got a message the other day that a friend of mines Grandmother was dieting and she had to rush to St. Louis to see her. I thought man thats some diet she must be losing so much weight she is going to disappear.
So, how's the Bronco project getting along? Or, maybe it was on the same diet as it seems to have disappeared.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
The rent house project took priority over the Bronco. Also the side board project for Whitey has been in and out of the way. The rent house is at about 90% now and it will be out of the way soon so I will egt back to the Bronco at hand.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Did some more work on the instruments today. The intent was to test each of the many instruments I have and pick a set that appears to be within calibration since seemingly no cluster that I have has a fully function set of gauges. Toward that end I read through the factory shop manual and found that three resistors are needed to calibrate the gauges: 72 ohm, 22 ohm, and 10 ohm.

And, since my plan was to do each instrument separately on the bench I needed a 5.0 volt supply to emulate the IVR. No prob, I have a bench supply somewhere. But, after quite a bit of searching I couldn't find it so built one with a 5 volt IC regulator capable of 1 amp.

I hooked up the first gauge with the resistor to the supply, turned it on, and watched the reading climb to almost the calibration point. And then it started falling. Turns out my regulator had gotten hot and was shutting down. Apparently it takes more than 1 amp for each of the three gauges, so I was a long way from having enough current.

Ok, let's assume the cluster I got from Trav is good and put it in. Bummer, the tach doesn't work. But, since my tach didn't work and the new one didn't work it must be wiring. So, I swapped out the wiring harness under the hood and tried again. This time as i cranked the engine it balked like it had too much timing, but then a curl of smoke went up from the positive battery cable. I think I've found what was causing the slow crank. With that replaced, and the engine cranking a lot better now, the tach still didn't work.

So, tomorrow I'll check into the dash wiring. Something must be amiss with it since 2 different tachs and two different wiring harnesses haven't worked.

The rent house project took priority over the Bronco. Also the side board project for Whitey has been in and out of the way. The rent house is at about 90% now and it will be out of the way soon so I will egt back to the Bronco at hand.
And, when do you think that'll be?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary, does the tach wire come out of the dizzy??
Shot in the dark, but....maybe wire broke inside..

Just fishing,

Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Hopefully soon. I was kind of letting sit on the back burner until you got a truck or two put together out there.

You were in the middle of some pretty in depth repairs on Dad's truck. I think I have maybe another weekend or two on the rent house and a light afternoon on Whitey.

If the weather holds out I may jump on the head gasket with James.

However, I still have the degree of the camshaft,oil pan leak, changing the springs in the dizzy,hooking the tach up and the carb experiment.

There are of course a few others like the front end,but,that will probably get put off until Spring.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Trav - The wiring harness is supposed to take the tach signal, which is really just the ignition module's output, from the coil to the tach. I haven't checked to see that it is, but if the engine runs the ignition module is doing the job. But, I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll bet it is something simple. I hope.

Bruno - Does that mean you are about ready to start on another truck? A Rusty one?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Trav - The wiring harness is supposed to take the tach signal, which is really just the ignition module's output, from the coil to the tach. I haven't checked to see that it is, but if the engine runs the ignition module is doing the job. But, I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll bet it is something simple. I hope.

Bruno - Does that mean you are about ready to start on another truck? A Rusty one?
If this boy will get his money straighened out.

His dog is going to have pups and he plans to sell them except for the one he is keeping. He should be able to make several hundred off that.

I think 3 of them are already spoken for at $200 a pop.He has money in the bank.

My problem is that he needs to be able to jump in it and finish it pretty soon. We dont live in that type of neighborhood anymore. I cant have a broke down truck on jackstands in the drive like at the old house. That was normal for that neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If this boy will get his money straighened out.

His dog is going to have pups and he plans to sell them except for the one he is keeping. He should be able to make several hundred off that.

I think 3 of them are already spoken for at $200 a pop.He has money in the bank.

My problem is that he needs to be able to jump in it and finish it pretty soon. We dont live in that type of neighborhood anymore. I cant have a broke down truck on jackstands in the drive like at the old house. That was normal for that neighborhood.
The machine work will be the long pole in the tent - assuming Windsor. Pick up the parts and leave the truck here for a bit. And, pick up the transmissions, plural, and start the merger of the Windsor 2wd C6 with the tailshaft extension from the M-block C6. Work those two things in parallel and it'll be ready to go pretty quickly.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
We need to get all this mechanical stuff out of the way so we can open up Gary's Paint and Body.

I know this is going to sound funny. However, Jason as we know went to welding school. He is a residential paint contractor now,but, he went to Vo-Tech for paint and body. He knows quite a bit about body work and painting.

Our biggest obstacle is the paint booth. We need one to prime and paint. All of the other stuff can be done in a garage. A paint booth can be fabbed up pretty easy. The hardest part is finding a fan that wont ignite the paint fumes.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build