1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I see that shiny Motorcraft box says "Made In China".
It's disconcerting isn't it, the supposedly best parts for our trucks being made in China.

Why I buy new old stock when I can find it that's still made in the USA.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Haven't found them. There may be one, but it is well-hidden. Those I've tried now just sell new ones.

By the way, Matt says he'll check stock on Monday.
Bryant AC is in Tulsa and they do stuff like building custom lines. Tulsa Radiator went out of business and they had all the good stuff. Like Gary said, most of them just want to sell you a new radiator for more than what the APS sells them for.

Tulsa radiator had hot tanks big enough to vat both of my F-250 tanks when I was rebuilding it. Now nobody has vats that big.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I say go with Monroe reflex!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm glad I still have a little hole in the wall shop that can repair or build things that are NLA.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It is a shame. Hopefully it'll last as long as I need it - which is probably some time this year as I'm thinking it will be 3G time when I do The Transformation. Now the HVAC fan and lights are basically the only draw, and the HVAC fan doesn't run on high very long as the heater will run you out of there. But, after TT there'll be a charged A/C system, power windows and locks, an alarm system, and maybe even a radio that works.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
I say go with Monroe reflex!
Almost missed that. I'll address it here 'cause most of those that have contributed to the other thread are here anyway. Why Reflex? Amazon has them for $22 more for the four front ones than the Sensatracs. Monroe's site says this for my application:
  • Reflex: Improved Stability with reduced harshness
  • Sensatrac: A Smooth Ride with good control

But, I wonder if they've taken into account that there are 4 of whichever ones you pick since it is a quad shock setup. Yes, I know that it tells me which part # for quad vs dual shocks, but they say the same thing for 2 Reflex or Sensatracs as for 4. I'm wondering if 4 Sensatracs would give a lot of control and 4 Reflex might start getting harsh.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I am pretty sure they knew what they were engineering them for Gary. The reflex shocks improved the ride on my 3/4 tons a lot. Not only that I work the crap out of the trucks hauling heavy loads and pulling heavy trailers. So after about 8-9 yrs of what I would consider abuse they have held up and performed nicely.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm just questioning them using twice as many of the same shock and saying you will get the same result. I may call them tomorrow. But, it is good to know they worked so well for you. Tnx.

Btw, going in the back door to see James tomorrow since he has the switch. Hope he has it done, although I'm sure he will if he got the slip and stub in today.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know about the other shocks, I checked them out on the site and they all sounded good. But I can corner pretty dang hard with no body roll with the sensa-trac's

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my Sensatracs, reflex didn't even exist yet, nor when I last sold shocks. If they are better than the Sensatracs then they must be damn good. I find the Sensatracs handle jounce and rebound better on the front than others, being faster responding to changing road conditions, which can be rapid up here in WV. I can drive twisty back country roads with ease.... But that could be the autocross blood of mine too.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
When I bought my Sensatracs, reflex didn't even exist yet, nor when I last sold shocks. If they are better than the Sensatracs then they must be damn good. I find the Sensatracs handle jounce and rebound better on the front than others, being faster responding to changing road conditions, which can be rapid up here in WV. I can drive twisty back country roads with ease.... But that could be the autocross blood of mine too.
I'm about 45 minutes from Pikeville, Ky/South Williamson WV. Pm me to talk a tad more.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gary, whatever you buy get Monroe shocks, I have not had good luck with Gabriel shocks. Besides, part of my pension comes from there. We were owned by Tenneco for a long time.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I see your throttle cable is metal where it connects to the ball, mine is plastic. Also, how old is your 1406? mine has all torx screws. I see yours are all flat head screws.
I bought my 1406 new in 95...It is like Gary's with the flat head screws...

Don't know the yr they changed(but glad they did)..Trav...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I just posted this in What Shock, but will post it here as well for consistency.

I just called Monroe's tech support line and talked with Adam. According to him the better shock for this application, meaning quad shocks and on-road driving, is the Sensatrac. It is set up to give smooth response until you hit dips/bumps, at which point it will firm up. The Reflex will firm up things at all times, and having four of them will make it much stiffer.

Given that I'm ordering Sensatracs for the front and Gas-Magnum's for the rear. Unless the Gas-Magnums in the rear will give quite a jolt on bumps when unloaded. Input appreciated on that, guys.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gary, the Gas Magnums are a bit stiff, but if you have a quad shock front, then the truck probably has fairly stiff suspension. A gentleman I worked with put a set on his 96 GMC Jimmy and found them to stiff. I had a set of 4 on my 77 F-150 and they worked quite well on it. YMMV.

Biggest thing would be what your rear axle GVW says. If it is a fairly heavy rating, coupled with you are going to be driving 2000 miles loaded you probably want Gas Magnums.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build