1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Converting an older van to run on E85?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting an older van to run on E85?

Has anyone done this? What needs to be done?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lots of money, new electronics, new injectors. Do a google search on "convert car to E85" and you will find lots of information. In general, the lost mileage won't ever make it worthwhile to convert a non flex fuel vehicle. How old is the van? Injected and OBD I or II?

Good luck,
George

Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EconolineFan
Converting an older van to run on E85? What needs to be done?
Pray every day & hope for miracle.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 AM
SilverE350
Senior User
I think I'd rather convert to run on LPG or CNG. But even then you'll need harder valves and seats if you want the engine to last.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 AM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Lots of money, new electronics, new injectors. Do a google search on "convert car to E85" and you will find lots of information. In general, the lost mileage won't ever make it worthwhile to convert a non flex fuel vehicle. How old is the van? Injected and OBD I or II?

Good luck,
George
I actually did research it and found this site:

E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com

It appears the most expensive thing you need is the computer chip which is around $500? It is a 1995 E-150 with the 5.0 V8. So I am guessing OBD-I Was just wondering if anyone actually did it to their van.

Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Pray every day & hope for miracle.
WOW You really are a "jack wagon."

Originally Posted by SilverE350
I think I'd rather convert to run on LPG or CNG. But even then you'll need harder valves and seats if you want the engine to last.
In Europe that is the only way to go, here it is very difficult to find an an Autogas station. Amazing how behind the US is. They push these overpriced hybrids when an excellent alternative fuel technology already exists.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually did research it and found this site:

E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com

It appears the most expensive thing you need is the computer chip which is around $500? It is a 1995 E-150 with the 5.0 V8. So I am guessing OBD-I Was just wondering if anyone actually did it to their van.
Given the relative scarcity of vans, I think you'd be better off trying to find someone who has converted a 5.0 V8 of your relative vintage regardless of vehicle type. Gotta be a LOT more F150's, Crown Vics, etc. out there which would have a similar experience. Maybe try the 5.0 engine forum.

I recall OBD II was mandatory in 1996 although a few engine families converted earlier--yours is probably OBD I.

Good luck,
George

Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like "some jack wagons" lack a sense of humor.

Could've sworn this was mostly an outspokenly antiethanol crowd & that "some jack wagons" here even resented/ridiculed the 10%-15% ethanol gas? Sorry, must be confused w/2-stroke & small motor enthusiasts.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Got nothing against ethanol, but don't endorse corn ethanol for fuel. Believe consumers should still have right to buy alcohol free gas for 2-strokes, small/old motors not designed for it.

IMO corn ethanol fuel suggests it's "Amazing how behind the US is." & is not "an excellent alternative fuel technology". Corn ethanol is primarily an "alternative" Farm Subsidy.

Wonder if the rosy 'Myths' section of E85 Conversion Kit website will pass "some jack wagons" sniff test? Too bad their website still shows $50 Off that ended Nov 30.

But you may be onto something linking "jack wagons" to prayer & miracles.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Swap in a VW turbo diesel in there, sure will be a turd, but hey, you wanted fuel economy

Otherwise, don't complain, your driving a brick on wheels.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 AM
Ketch347
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi from France
cause here E85 cost $2.20/gallon and the regular cost $6.35/gallon, I converted to E85 my old Dodge windows Van , 318 engine carbureted. Riding 6k miles without any troubles. Original fuel line and pump.
Modified carburetor with Rob from Minnesota, E85carb.com. It’s one way modification, can’t use again with regular gas.
after received the modified carburetor, just mounting on the engine and adjust a little. Change the timing spark with flash lamp + 4 degrees. Change spark plug to Irridium, high quality wire set and MSD coil.
the Van get more couple, more smoother and better throttle responds.
i use the Van daily . Can’t have any problem of condensation in the tank. Anyway the optional 35 gallons Dodge gas tank is make on plastic material.

the less is yes less MPG , around 20%. But with the price between E85 and regular is i win.
the less too is start cold in the winter. Do wait be warm before riding, if not engine stall.

this is my own experience.

i’ve just Purchase an 1989 E150 Club Wagon, 351w EFI. I going to modified the fuel system to work with E85 ...

Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazing how behind the US is. They push these overpriced hybrids when an excellent alternative fuel technology already exists.
Really ? In Europe they pay $6-10 a gallon for gas most of which is tax to a government who did nothing to earn that. And we're far behind ? We're a exporting oil and gas now to Europe, and we're "far behind" ? Ethanol had to be subsidized to make it competitive with petroleum based fuels and even now it's still not because it's done on a mandate from the government, and we're "far behind" ?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:10 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I hope you daily drive it, ethanol collects moisture, I now need a new tank for my van, and they do not make them anymore, I either have to have one custom made, or get someone to modify an available tank by relocating the fill/vent, then modify where it mounts under the van, both choices are extremely expensive. E85 is a good choice for race engines, it is cheaper than race gas, but for a regular street vehicle it is a waste of money, you will get less mileage, and will require replacement of every rubber fuel line on your vehicle too.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:13 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Talking

Originally Posted by baddad457
Really ? In Europe they pay $6-10 a gallon for gas most of which is tax to a government who did nothing to earn that. And we're far behind ? We're a exporting oil and gas now to Europe, and we're "far behind" ? Ethanol had to be subsidized to make it competitive with petroleum based fuels and even now it's still not because it's done on a mandate from the government, and we're "far behind" ?
It costs more to make than it delivers, look how much diesel is used to plant/harvest it, people don't think about that, if the tractors ran on ethanol, they'd break even, would be nothing to sell after harvest.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:18 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by SilverE350
After reading on a site where a guy did that to a vintage car, the results were it ran cleaner, oil had no deposits it seemed, I really wanted to do similar with my 73 but the cost, so much is needed for it, then there is the tank for the gas.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Maillemaker
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have heard that ethanol gas is hard on old rubber fittings. Not sure if that is true or not. I'm guessing new cars are engineered with the right plastics to tolerate it, but I doubt old ones are.

Steve

Old 08-11-2019, 03:06 AM
Ketch347
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, the French State apply 80% taxes on the regular gas and Diesel. I think it's the most high level cost on all states of Europe.

Don't know if you ear something about that, but last winter here have a big big people contestation against the fees on the gasoline, named "yellow jackets"

Quick Reply: Converting an older van to run on E85?