Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Problem after install

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem after install

Hi, I just installed a Terminator T500, HPOP lines, and a fuel bowl rebuild kit. All from Riff Raff.

The install went smoothly. Last night, we took it for a test drive, and it ran extremely well. Power was fantastic. It ran well all today.

I was out on the highway this evening, and stepped on it, and something strange happened. All of the crackle left the engine compartment, like it was muffled. The service engine light came on, and IPR started climing dramtically, It made it all the way up to 81% sitting at Idle, while ICP was hover around 430. Normally, that is 11.2 and 540 with the 80e DP Tuner.

I brought it home, hooked the AE to it, and got the following codes.

P1209 Injector Control Pressure Peak Delta Test Fault
P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory KAM Error
P1211 Internal control Pressure Higher/Lowe Than Desired (Engine Running)

I checked under the hood, and it does not look like anything popped loose. Fuel pressure, EGT, etc is normal.

I did a quick run around the block with the AE scanner recording, and it looked like Injection control pressure duty cycle was all over the place.

I looked at some threads related to codes specifically, but couldn't search for "going down the highway, and the engine sounded muffled, and lost power significantly"

Any thoughts greatly appreaciated!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
It is possible your IPR got some junk in it or got stuck. How does it start?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Clay beat me to it. I was going to say call Clay or Joey for suggestion.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
It is possible your IPR got some junk in it or got stuck. How does it start?
When we did the ipr, we placed it directly in the new pump. It was black with oil, but we opted not to clean it based on its sensitivity.

It starts about the same, when I got it home, I turned it off and it started fine, then shut off immediately. After that, it would start and run with no ses, but lacking power. I would not stay that it starts noticeably differently than before.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did the same thing twice after the T-500, minus the light. Sounded like it went from WOT to near idle, but the power decrease didn't match the sound decrease. After that ICP & DC went crazy a few times, but no other effects. I believe it was the last stubborn air bubbles going through the HPOP that caused the strange readings and air in either the HPO or fuel that caused that sound changes.

The only issue I have after a 1k or so miles is a slight rough idle after it warms up. I think this may be the grey CPS showing its nature a little better after all the issues went away.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by kawcrasher
Mine did the same thing twice after the T-500, minus the light. Sounded like it went from WOT to near idle, but the power decrease didn't match the sound decrease. After that ICP & DC went crazy a few times, but no other effects. I believe it was the last stubborn air bubbles going through the HPOP that caused the strange readings and air in either the HPO or fuel that caused that sound changes.

The only issue I have after a 1k or so miles is a slight rough idle after it warms up. I think this may be the grey CPS showing its nature a little better after all the issues went away.
Should I try pulling the ICP to let the air out? I have to drive it in about 15 minutes, so I'll see how it runs after sitting over night.

I hope its just an air bubble!!

Oh, I should also mention that after reassembly of the fuel bowl, the 30 amp fuse under the dash blew twice, so I unplugged the heater. Unless that has some relevance to this, I plan to address that at a later time.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
So, I drove it this morning, and everything was normal, GREAT power again! Definitely spins the tires when I get on it, bad for my tires, but fun! I did notice my icp an ipr numbers very significantly more than before, and idle is significantly smoother.

Should I do anything proactive, or continue driving it?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Continue driving it. It can take up to 100 miles of good driving to get the air out.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Continue driving it. It can take up to 100 miles of good driving to get the air out.
Sounds good! Thanks again, Clay, for the quick response and fantastic support!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i actually had a very similar experience this weekend. the truck ran awesome, then i hit a long hill and smashed it in 6th in 80 econo. hit 81% DC and 2400 ICP. i have not made any other long runs yet...but it is acting better. i dont have anything to data log it though. just a scan gauge that does highs and lows. after talking to Jody though, he told me if mine doesnt clean up, might be ipr...so im keeping that in my head. only have about 160 miles now, and Jody said it could take up to 250. so dont be surprised if it starts to get better and better...good luck, please keep us posted because maybe we can tag team it

Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by brownie83
i actually had a very similar experience this weekend. the truck ran awesome, then i hit a long hill and smashed it in 6th in 80 econo. hit 81% DC and 2400 ICP. i have not made any other long runs yet...but it is acting better. i dont have anything to data log it though. just a scan gauge that does highs and lows. after talking to Jody though, he told me if mine doesnt clean up, might be ipr...so im keeping that in my head. only have about 160 miles now, and Jody said it could take up to 250. so dont be surprised if it starts to get better and better...good luck, please keep us posted because maybe we can tag team it
Sounds great! I'll keep you posted.

I have a lot more change coming. Stage 1 injectors are sitting on my table waiting for cups and the removal tool, and a retune from Jody.

Permagrin

Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
So, it ran great this morning, then at lunch it acted up, the. In the evening, it would start then stall, then not start, then stall again, so I unplugged the icp plug and ran it. It seemed happy after that, then it went strange on the interstate and became very lacking in the power department. As soon as I got to my destination, I restarted it, and it seemed fine.

Just putting out as much info as possible to reach a fast diagnosis. I would say there are 50 miles on the truck or so. Hopefully I am not damaging anything.

Thoughts? Still air bubbles?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I never had any of that on my install. Twenty miles and it was great. How long, miles did it run great with the ICP unpluged? Just wondering if that is you problem. Make sure the tin nut is still on the ipr and all electrical connections are plugged back in. You mit of missed one on the reinstall.
Chet

Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd agree on the IPR. Could have been holding the other pump back. Might be worth rebuilding or replacing.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I never had any of that on my install. Twenty miles and it was great. How long, miles did it run great with the ICP unpluged? Just wondering if that is you problem. Make sure the tin nut is still on the ipr and all electrical connections are plugged back in. You mit of missed one on the reinstall.
Chet
I let it run for about a minute, then shut it back off. It was covered in oil. Is that how it's supposed to be? I was under the impression you can't drive it unplugged.

I cleaned it off, plugged it in, and she ran.

I checked all the plugins a couple of times now, but i'll check again on the nut.

Originally Posted by bad12jr
I'd agree on the IPR. Could have been holding the other pump back. Might be worth rebuilding or replacing.
I guess I'll need to wait a little longer before making that decision, although prices on both ICP and IPR from Riff Raff aren't terrible. and both are original.

This morning it ran great btw

Quick Reply: Problem after install