1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another up pipe thread.. temp fix maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
It might slip through and end up in your turbo too. Bad, bad plan.
If the gasket fit right using the bolt holes like the manifold gasket's are it should not move.JMOP.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
The more I though about this thread... If you have an exhaust leak you can hear, it is probably NOT your up-pipes. You mentioned that you can hear it but there is no soot where the up-pipes meet the Y pipe. You also mentioned that there is soot down where the up-pipes meet the manifolds. Those things combined with the fact that you can hear the leak, lead to one thing:

Your exhaust manifolds are leaking. Read this thread.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
PEI
Senior User
The more I though about this thread... If you have an exhaust leak you can hear, it is probably NOT your up-pipes. You mentioned that you can hear it but there is no soot where the up-pipes meet the Y pipe. You also mentioned that there is soot down where the up-pipes meet the manifolds. Those things combined with the fact that you can hear the leak, lead to one thing:

Thanks, Will read up on them.

Thinking about selling my 5'x10' cnc machine.. If I decide to sell it, I will have enough to make the truck act like new without waiting until spring.

Been eyeing up one of the Edge Juice with Attitude CTS and getting rid of the hypermax tuner as well as the uppipes.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by PEI
Thanks, Will read up on them.

Thinking about selling my 5'x10' cnc machine.. If I decide to sell it, I will have enough to make the truck act like new without waiting until spring.

Been eyeing up one of the Edge Juice with Attitude CTS and getting rid of the hypermax tuner as well as the uppipes.
Whether your up-pipes are leaking right now or not, they will. Picking up the IH pipes is a good idea. Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03

As far as the Edge tuner, you would be better served with custom tunes like DP Tuner. I have done Superchips, Bully Dog, and Edge, none of them compared to the DP. Check them out: Riffraff Diesel: DP Tuner F5 Chip Module You won't regret it!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
PEI
Senior User
Thanks, so something like this with another guage package so I can monitor egts, etc live?

Thanks!

Whether your up-pipes are leaking right now or not, they will. Picking up the IH pipes is a good idea. Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03

As far as the Edge tuner, you would be better served with custom tunes like DP Tuner. I have done Superchips, Bully Dog, and Edge, none of them compared to the DP. Check them out: Riffraff Diesel: DP Tuner F5 Chip Module You won't regret it!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by PEI
Thanks, so something like this with another guage package so I can monitor egts, etc live?

Thanks!
I would go for some good analog gauges. I have Autometer gauges now but I am planning on switching to ISSPRO soon. Specifically the Performax Line. Super easy to install and upgrade as need be. Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Isspro Performax

Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Definitely go for the real gauges for the primary 3-4 gauges. If you want some of the OBDII outputs that the edge-type stuff will display consider a scangauge. It will show four gauges at a time including: water temp, oil temp, HPOP pressure, IPR, ICP, volts, load, IAT, trans temp, MPG. This is the cheapest price I've ever seen on them and includes shipping: Amazon.com: ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
PEI
Senior User
Thanks guys. I have some readin' to do

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
PEI
Senior User

I think you are 100% right.

Well, finally made room in the garage to take the truck in for a closer look.

Attached is a few pictures of the up pipes.. I dont think they are leaking at the top but at the bottom.. maybe new bolts would fix that area?

I see a good bit of soot around the back cyls on the manifolds.. I think that is a lot of my problem right now.

Drivers side up pipe

Y Pipe

Drivers side Up bottom, you can see a bit of soot and I can feel the exhaust pressure there when its running. And the drivers manifold is worse then the pass side from what I can see. Bolts are REALLYYYYY rusty though.. I know I will have a big problem getting them out..

Thanks,
Jason

Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the bolts will be real tough. The ones in the collector point the wrong way (down), very hard to get PB or anything else into the threads. They break, I had an easy out (ha ha) break, bought new collector from Ford.
Clay's (riffraff) is a bit pricey, but you get everything needed, worth it. Wish I would have!
Tom.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
in that pic, the up pipe bottom flange looks very distorted. the manifold has a convex surface and the up pipe has a concave surface that mounts together like a brake line flare. you may have to take the pipe out and "reflange" it. if thats possible. you may need new up pipes...you can go stock and have to do it again, or go with the bellows from Clay and be done forever. the job isnt terrible, but i have done it 2x already and wish i had the cash for bellows.

it might just be the angle of the pic, but the flange definitely looks pinched.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-31-2011, 07:52 AM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by brownie83
it might just be the angle of the pic, but the flange definitely looks pinched.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep, it does look pinched in person too.. not sure why that happened unless it was done by someone by accident doing some repairs sometime?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
So do you have a pic of where the soot is coming from? I see nothing in the pic that woul cause the truck to be extra loud from an exaust leak. I mean I see hardly any soot at all. It isn't by chance cold where you are and the ebpv is what your hearing is it. You said your neighbors would be affected by the leak. The ebpv is the only thing I can think of that you could hear externally unless it was a major leak. I'm very surprised at how clean you collector is considering its the oem style. If you start messing with it there is a good chance it will start leaking around the doughnuts.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 AM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by bulla
So do you have a pic of where the soot is coming from? I see nothing in the pic that woul cause the truck to be extra loud from an exaust leak. I mean I see hardly any soot at all. It isn't by chance cold where you are and the ebpv is what your hearing is it. You said your neighbors would be affected by the leak. The ebpv is the only thing I can think of that you could hear externally unless it was a major leak. I'm very surprised at how clean you collector is considering its the oem style. If you start messing with it there is a good chance it will start leaking around the doughnuts.

Hi,

I noticed a noise on the drivers side.. I can see some soot around the manifolds (mainly the back 2). I know, I hate to disturb the up pipes.

The truck just sounds noisier then it used it and power is very low and labored.

I nailed it once a few days (just a quick shot for a few seconds) after I put my walker BTM on and been noisier ever since. It is starting to get cold here, but wasnt too cold when the noise started a few months ago.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Is it like a piff piff piff sound adjusting with the rpm of the engine? It could be a manifold leak without a doubt but normally I would think only you could hear it not you neighbors. Have you checked the rest of you exaust for loosened or slipped pipe since you recent work?

Quick Reply: Another up pipe thread.. temp fix maybe?