6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy
I'm not going to go spout gm stuff on a thread like this, but everyone I know has had better luck with them.
All that aside, ill try keep up with the issues, and post any recent developments up here
congrats to your friends.
I have one GM truck left in my fleet and hoping to part ways with it next year and replace it with another Superduty. I already had to replace the allison in this thing and we have moved it to extreme light duty to try and keep the wheels on it till budget allows replacing it.
Bottom line, the GM's can't hold a candle to the Fords if you work em.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM
p12483
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did we ever determine a build date? So does that mean he gets 100,000 mile warranty with the new engine or will they only cover the remainder.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by p12483
Did we ever determine a build date? So does that mean he gets 100,000 mile warranty with the new engine or will they only cover the remainder.
His warranty expired 3,000 miles ago so there is no remainder. I believe there is a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty the new engine. This was a frequently asked question for those who were warranty expiration who had a new engine installed.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:59 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I think that warranty after warranty is standard for most OEM parts.
Had a 4x4 module replaced in my out of warranty '02 explorer and they would warranty that part specifically for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 AM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 04xcur
I just got the news today that Ford will replace the engine under warranty !!!

They told me that the build date was quite early and that they knew there was a problem with these engines...

This is the best Christmas gift i could get !!!
Great News! I am glad that is not hanging out there over the Holidays.

On the other hand......The other guy on this board with a cracked valve had a build date of 2/11. He had 103,000 when the valve failed. What was your build date? Just wondering what "quite early" means. This engine went into production in early 2010 correct? I would love to know specifically what the problem is that they know about.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM
jayman2
Junior User
I want to throw my 2 cents in here. Did anyone ever determine if the actual cause was from the glow plug or just a cracked valve?

I'm just curious because if you look at the indentation marks on the piston and the head , they look small and have a dimpled or roundish shape to them which would constitute the tip of a glow plug breaking off. If you look at the piece of the valve that broke off it looks much bigger and would have left sharper indentations than the marks that are present.

It makes sense to me being a glow plug failing , first noticing a small rattle getting louder then cracking a valve and losing power and the engine failing vs. just a sudden valve breaking and sudden loss of power and failure.

Jay

Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
For starters, I never said anything about a valve. And secondly, I'm just passing on what dad said about his truck's last moments, and what the dealership told us. Something was right there, because that's how I found this thread in the first place. Maybe the shaking was a second issue that has yet to be addressed. Stoopid ford (sorry, couldn't resist). The rental place as far as I know is enterprise rental in chilliwack bc. Again, no verified facts, just what the guy told us. Maybe it was a freak accident of probabilities, or its more of an issue on the trucks sent up to canada, or the guy was bs-ing us. I'm not trolling or anything, just saw a similar problem and thought I'd pitch in. Its the beauty of forums. Share the problems, share the knowledge.
This is right in my neck of the woods and I have heard nothing of any failures up here in the Fraser Vally/GVRD area and I have been asking whenever I have visited the numerous Ford dealers in the area. OSG you need to go back to the Quad forums and hang with Reidler and the other cheby boyz.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The rental place as far as I know is enterprise rental in chilliwack bc. Again, no verified facts, just what the guy told us. Maybe it was a freak accident of probabilities, or its more of an issue on the trucks sent up to canada, or the guy was bs-ing us. I'm not trolling or anything, just saw a similar problem and thought I'd pitch in. Its the beauty of forums. Share the problems, share the knowledge.
Called over to the Enterprise rental in Chilliwack (604) 703-1333, they told me they don't have any Super Duty diesel, never did but he can try to find a 6.2 gasser, it may take up to 5 days to have one in his region. LOL

Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7L
Called over to the Enterprise rental in Chilliwack (604) 703-1333, they told me they don't have any Super Duty diesel, never did but he can try to find a 6.2 gasser, it may take up to 5 days to have one in his region. LOL
smells like a troll, posts like a troll ........
It sounded pretty odd from the start.
thanks for getting to the bottom of that questionable post.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck this even makes me happy and I don't even have a 6.7!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Good to hear for the original poster And guys, just have a little fun but keep it clean...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
oldschoolguy
New User
Originally Posted by Chep
This is right in my neck of the woods and I have heard nothing of any failures up here in the Fraser Vally/GVRD area and I have been asking whenever I have visited the numerous Ford dealers in the area. OSG you need to go back to the Quad forums and hang with Reidler and the other cheby boyz.
cross forum creep? I can't find you on quads though

Originally Posted by 6.7L
Ha, thats awesome. I told my dad, and he lol'd. stoopid people who just want to one up your story.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
randito
Junior User
Exclamation Lucky me

I had the same thing happen. It was November20. Driving 70 down the highway, my truck started making a funny noise, I pulled over and it sounded like it was missing on one cylinder. I headed on home (30Mi) and took it to town the next morning, it died before I got to the dealership. After setting untouched for a couple of weeks, the called and said the glow ploug was burned off, and there may be more damage, might need a new motor. On December 19, they called and said a valve was broke, and the piston was ruined, needed a new motor. I have 32k on the truck, I bought it in may of 2010. I was expecting a new motor, but then they called and said there was some rust in the cylinders, and said this could only be caused by me running through water, and flooding the air box WHAT???? First of all, there's no water within 100 miles, I live in west texas and haven't seen rain in a year!!! I know I didn't run through water, and after reading on here , it looks like it is their problem??? Thanks you guys for having this forum, it helped me a lot. Any input on what I need to do?? They have ordered a motor, buy say I will have to pay $20k.??? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by randito
I had the same thing happen. It was November20. Driving 70 down the highway, my truck started making a funny noise, I pulled over and it sounded like it was missing on one cylinder. I headed on home (30Mi) and took it to town the next morning, it died before I got to the dealership. After setting untouched for a couple of weeks, the called and said the glow ploug was burned off, and there may be more damage, might need a new motor. On December 19, they called and said a valve was broke, and the piston was ruined, needed a new motor. I have 32k on the truck, I bought it in may of 2010. I was expecting a new motor, but then they called and said there was some rust in the cylinders, and said this could only be caused by me running through water, and flooding the air box WHAT???? First of all, there's no water within 100 miles, I live in west texas and haven't seen rain in a year!!! I know I didn't run through water, and after reading on here , it looks like it is their problem??? Thanks you guys for having this forum, it helped me a lot. Any input on what I need to do?? They have ordered a motor, buy say I will have to pay $20k.??? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
Make an appt with the servce manager or ford cust service right away about this.

If the truck sat for three weeks...

Also provide your maintance records.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you tell us what cylinder bank this catastrophic failure happened on?

Quick Reply: 6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )