Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

No Interior lights

Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Mikeymoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Interior lights

Hey-
recently fixed a disconnected sunroof drain on passanger side of my 2004 explorer ( 4WD, XLT) that had been soaking the carpet for some time.
Prior to fixing the leak, when i cycled the key, the radio would be on (delay), when i opened the door, there was a buzzing sound from under the dash.
Get in the car on Thanksgiving and smell a burnt smell, like soldering an electromnic board and also found find the following:
Interior lights don`t work, instrument cluster does not work- fuel gauge, tach, speedo, oil, voltage temp gauges do not move, exterior lights on the mirrors do not work, auto door lock feature is disabled, windows do not operate.
Power door locks work manually.
During the times that the sunroof was leaking, the water was soaking the wiring harness just under the door sill. This harness comes from the VSM module.
Question #1- does anyone have a wiring diagram available?
Question does the dealer need to re program this?
i have a reputable shop looking at it now, but he is at a loss. he did say that he cannot communicate with the VSM.
how screwed am I?

HELP

Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I have a wiring diagram for the 2004 model year. If you send me a Private Message requesting which diagrams you're most interested in and an e-mail address for you (or your shop) I can send you PDFs of the diagrams. If the diagrams you want are just those associated with the "VSM" you're going to need to tell me what you are referring to as the "VSM". That's not a terminology I'm familiar with. Vehicle Stability Module (AdvanceTrac), Vehicle Security Module (PATS/SecuriLock), or ?

-Rod

Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I dug a bit deeper in the service manual. There is a Vehicle Security Module and it is a programmed module. According to the service manual though, the only programmable parameters are for the autolock and the power door lock inhibit. I'm not sure what the default state is, but it doesn't SEEM like you should NEED to program this module to the vehicle. You would of course need to program your key fobs. If you were to go to a salvage yard it would certainly be worth trying the module out before paying the dealer to program it.

-Rod

Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Mikeymoe
New User
No lights-

Thanks Shorod.
i gave up and went to the stealer.
he is almost certain the instrument cluster is bad- the cluster controls all of the functions that are not working as listed above.
i hope he is right as this part is expensive.
i will update once i know more

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Mikeymoe
New User
Hi All,
just an update to my issue with the interior not working properly.
the instrument cluster was the defective part.
there was some sort of "infestation" problem with some critters that shorted out the relays and the modules and caused the gremlins that i had described.
The dealer was able to back feed one of the relays and managed to get the dome lights to work, but that was it.
installed a new cluster, back on the road.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Thank you for the follow-up post. Hopefully there are no more surprises from your little critter friends.

-Rod