EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

2.0L, a big disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, this motor is built in Germany and is the same motor they are putting in a lot of new cars these days, including Kia GDI and Range Rover. If you know anything about expensive automatic watches, like Rolex, you'll know that most of them use a motor made by ETA in Switzerland. Most expensive watch makers are designers more than they are makers. Like Rolex and Cartier. They don't actually make the watches, they design them and have them made by outside companies. Some higher quality watches, such as IWC, design and manufacture everything in house. With the 2.0 turbo, although I'm not certain who designed it, is a general motor that many automakers are putting into their cars and trucks. I've got 20k of hard redlining miles out of mine and it seems bullet proof.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa01
As far as I know, this motor is built in Germany and is the same motor they are putting in a lot of new cars these days, including Kia GDI and Range Rover. If you know anything about expensive automatic watches, like Rolex, you'll know that most of them use a motor made by ETA in Switzerland. Most expensive watch makers are designers more than they are makers. Like Rolex and Cartier. They don't actually make the watches, they design them and have them made by outside companies. Some higher quality watches, such as IWC, design and manufacture everything in house. With the 2.0 turbo, although I'm not certain who designed it, is a general motor that many automakers are putting into their cars and trucks. I've got 20k of hard redlining miles out of mine and it seems bullet proof.
No idea where you are getting your information about a "general" 2.0 engine. As far as I know based on some research, the 2.0 Ecoboost is a Ford designed and manufactured engine that comes from Spain. Interestingly, it is going to be used in a Range Rover and a Volvo model or two, probably dating to Ford's owning these brands (much like Chrysler still using some Mercedes technology).

But I don't think there is any relationship to Kia, and again, it is not a "general" application--your example about watches is interesting, but does not tie into automotive engines. Some sub assemblies like turbochargers, etc., might be sourced from turbo manufacturers, though. And there is some generality with transmissions in various cars (ZF, Getrag, Jatco, etc.) but not so much with engines. I do know that Hyundai used to use some Mitsubishi engine tech, Land Rover used the old GM aluminum V8 which they bought, etc. If you can find a cite on the 2.0 EB being a general application, please post it.

Thanks,
George

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Good info on the 2.0, We picked up a 13 edge 2.0 about 3 weeks ago.
23-24 mpg in town / mix driving. 55-65 mph will get just about 30 mpg, 70-75 mpg will get 26.x mpg.. Power is ok as these 2.0L have low / high boost maps for when power comes on, the high boost is nice with stock form producing 17-18 psi. Overall nice improvement from the 3.5L std v6.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
George'

Honestly, I don't recall exactly where I got the info. Back in 2011 I began heavy research on this motor. I read over a dozen articles about history in the making with this motor. I was at the dealer in negotiations before they got their first truck load. I was at the dealer the day the first shipment arrived. I was one of e first people to own a 2.0 turbo.

At that time, all of my research showed the motors being made in Germany. Now, they say they are being made in Spain. Somewhere between then and now the manufacturing of the motor has changed places.

Tom

Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by Busa01
the 1.0 3 banger is made in cologne germany,the again 3rd time recalled 1.6 in england the 2.0 in spain the 3.5 at Ford's Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM
DOUGGR
New User
I agree The 2.0L is too small for the explorer. I just bought a new 2013 escape with the 2.0L ecoboost and she loves it the escape weighs just over 3400 lbs.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a 13 escape 4X4 with the 1.6 fire trap. I ordered another escape with the 2.0 and will trade the 1.6 off. I wanted nav instead of a worthless nav screen with a bunch of goofy on screen redundant controls for heater and radio and stuff. Also wanted red and bought a white one. Will get a trailer hitch and tow package on the new one, and going to titanium trim with every option. The 1.6 is a powerhouse with the turbo, but the ford dealers tell me the 2.0 has way more and you can feel the difference. So the 5 seat BBQ pit is going bye bye. This recall on the 1.6 for fires is a joke. I never wasted my time taking it in as the ones sold in Europe do not even get a recall as ford says the fire risk is so low. But the money wasting Feds here in the states (NTSB) are making ford recall them all here. So I don't care if they ever do a fix on it or not! Ford has so many stupid recalls and I rarely take my vehicles back for them, unless I figure it is a real issue or danger. They like to recall 3 year old vehicles just out of warranty, then up sell you a bunch of repairs while its in for the so called ( joke recall ) this is not my personal observation, but that of a local ford service manger that has over 30 years as a tech and manager with ford.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Refusing to do a free recall appointment to make your vehicle safer while venting anger at the government doesn't make sense to me especially in a thread about the adequacy of the 2.0 EB engine in the Explorer...

I don't have any problem with taking my vehicles in for recalls and refusing any unneeded service. My van had the fire-starting cruise control reed switch in the master cyl and I got the fixes because I didn't want it to burn down my garage, however rare the actual risk is. I have also worn seatbelts for my 43 years of driving and have not needed them.

George

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
If there was any risk of spontaneous combustion I would take it in. But the only time they will burn is when you are driving them hard and a coolant hose will rupture do to the heat. Then the coolant runs down on the exhaust manifold and catches on fire. When you see smoke you are told to pull over and get out of the car and let it burn up, and stay away and DO NOT OPEN HOOD under any circumstances as this may burn you. This is what every recall letter tells you to do. Early on in the recall they had no fix and would give you a loaner vehicle free of charge until they come up with a fix. Now Ford has a fix, so they say, and it only involves a reflash of the ECM which lowers the operating temp of the engine a little which they say will lesson the risk of a roadside fire. And my dealer tells me now that our new red titanium 2.0 escape will be here the second week of February which is only about 2 weeks away. They asked me if I had the recall done and I said no and they said ok as they will do it latter as they have to run recall updates on every vehicle they sell, new or used as it is the law in Kansas. No law requires me to do any recalls on my personal vehicles. I probably have at least a dozen outstanding recalls on my fleet of vehicles, including some on Cat engines in peterbilt trucks. And I never plan to do any of these recalls as I really don't like people working on my vehicles if there is no real need. They often time do more harm then good. I did have death wobble in both 2005 SD pickups I own and yes I made ford fix them both. They didn't even have a recall at the time, and would only fix them for free if under warranty. I experienced the death wobble my self and it causes loss of control and is a terrible experience. All 2005 thur 2007 4X4 trucks were prone to this death wobble. The fix involves installing a new steering dampener that mounts to a new location on the frame and a caster or camber change, I forget which one. We have had no more death wobble on these trucks, and with the redesign of the 08 SD trucks they came with this fix already done as I purchased one in 08 and this was the first think I checked on by looking at the dampener mounting location myself. I don't think ford ever had a recall for this deadly problem, but did have a service bulletin fix for the problem. Which was only free if you were under warranty. What a joke on fords part, and the NTSB also as they both are very aware of this problem and never did a actual recall, as far as I know. You can read for hours if you google this or just go to the SD section on this forum and do a SD DW search.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
You have a lot of good solid info to provide, KS, but why are you taking the time to say it in a thread about the adequacy of the 2.0 EB engine in the Explorer? I don't think this info is going to serve any purpose here. The 2.0 has not been subject to these recalls. Enjoy your new Escape and I wish you great luck with it.

Have a great week,
George

Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Having owned a 11 explorer for a year before trading for a 12 expedition, I can say the 3.5 in it was rather weak feeling and somewhat gutless. It was the 4X4 model which only came with the 3.5. The 1.6 in the 13 escape we now have seems more spunky and torquey because of the turbo I would expect. We are averaging about 20 mpg in all around driving which is not very good beings they rated it at 25 and 30 mpg. When I get the new escape I will report back on the 2.0s mpg and driving feel compared to the 1.6. I like the escape a lot better then the explorer as the explorer had many problems with the ECM and the function of the touchscreen controls and nav system. The torque and HP ratings are very similar between the 3.5 and the 2.0 Ecoboost. I have never even driven a 2.0 EB, but one would think it would be adequate for the explorer as the 1.6 seems very capable in the escape. I out run a F150 4X4 5.4 triton with the 1.6 escape which was neck and neck to around 90 then the little escape pulled easily away. It will hit its top speed of 115 any time you want and will even hold the cruise setting there. It will not allow you to increase the speed above 115 as this is the programmed top speed of the vehicle. I would run faster if chiped as the 1.6 does 115 very easy.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Man, I just got back from Costco and they had a new Escape out front. Titanium high end model with the 2.0 EB and AWD. Sucker had a sticker price of $36 freaking k and a Costco discount price north of $30k.

Last I looked Escapes were 20 grand. Gone upmarket much?

I hope you can still get into a base trim model with AWD for $22-25k or something.

Good luck with the 2.0. I'm guessing your mileage will be lower than with the 1.6 but maybe not.

George

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
I don't see how the mileage could be any worse with the 2.0 then with the 1.6. If I were to buy a new explorer it would have the 3.5 EB as they have good power in the F150 line. The escapes are getting awfully pricey. The sel I have now list for 31 and the one I have on order is right at 37. Titanium model

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
I don't see how the mileage could be any worse with the 2.0 then with the 1.6. If I were to buy a new explorer it would have the 3.5 EB as they have good power in the F150 line. The escapes are getting awfully pricey. The sel I have now list for 31 and the one I have on order is right at 37. Titanium model
Well, there is the fueleconomy.gov site which shows that both the EPA ratings and actual users report less mpg with the 2.0 Escape than with the 1.6. Average user reported mpg is fully 4 mpg lower with the 2.0.

Fuel Economy of 2013 Ford Escape AWD

But $37k for an Escape blows my mind. This is getting into BMW X3 territory. I was looking at Escapes circa 2009 and my budget was $20k.

Good luck,
George

Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Well, there is the fueleconomy.gov site which shows that both the EPA ratings and actual users report less mpg with the 2.0 Escape than with the 1.6. Average user reported mpg is fully 4 mpg lower with the 2.0.

Fuel Economy of 2013 Ford Escape AWD

But $37k for an Escape blows my mind. This is getting into BMW X3 territory. I was looking at Escapes circa 2009 and my budget was $20k.

Good luck,
George
37K was the MSRP of my 2011 truck.

The 2.0L will get lots of use as it's in the Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, Escape and Edge as optional equipment.

Quick Reply: 2.0L, a big disappointment?