1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Receiver hitch "no drilling required"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a class IV (I think) off of my sons F150. It is a '90 something, he told me I could get it off of his truck if I wanted it, he didn't need it. I did, and cleaned it up, painted it, and sprayed undercoat on it. Then I installed it.

I have no issues with the spare tire or carrier.

On another note, I found one several years ago in the trash left from the renter across the street. It was bent up somewhat. He had a Bronco that was several years newer than my truck. I grabbed it out of the trash not knowing whether it would fit or not. I beat it back into submission, cleaned the rust off, and a quick coat of spray paint. Alas, it didn't fit at all. I don't think it fit his Bronco either (just a guess). I kept it for a couple of years before selling it in a yard sale. I never did find out what it fit. I think it was a class III. I have always been wary of using your bumper to tow anything of consequence. I've seen more than a few bumpers rip apart under pressure.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yours is real good, too, Grubb. It attaches with all six bolts and doesn't hang down too low or interfere with the spare tire. I think the verdict is the one Archion recommends (Reece #36025) would fit correctly as well.

But in further consideration, Reece 36025 is a Class IV hitch rated up to 7,500 pounds! If my truck has a max factory recomended towing capacity of 2,000 pounds, that thing is over 3X stronger than I need (and weighs almost 60 lbs itself, like hauling a large hound dog around with you all the time).

I think I saw in the factory manual that the 7.5" tall step bumper is rated at over 2000 lbs. I think 2000 lbs is like Class II or thereabouts.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Galendor
Yours is real good, too, Grubb. It attaches with all six bolts and doesn't hang down too low or interfere with the spare tire. I think the verdict is the one Archion recommends (Reece #36025) would fit correctly as well.

But in further consideration, Reece 36025 is a Class IV hitch rated up to 7,500 pounds! If my truck has a max factory recomended towing capacity of 2,000 pounds, that thing is over 3X stronger than I need (and weighs almost 60 lbs itself, like hauling a large hound dog around with you all the time).

I think I saw in the factory manual that the 7.5" tall step bumper is rated at over 2000 lbs. I think 2000 lbs is like Class II or thereabouts.

I guess sometimes I just like overkill. Kinda like carrying my gun, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Also, I thought if I ever needed to be pulled out of somewhere the extra capacity might come in handy. I have a small boat and trailer, and also a cargo carrier. That's about all I'll be using it for.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Also, I thought if I ever needed to be pulled out of somewhere the extra capacity might come in handy.
I never thought of that - you're a wise man, Dave

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Galendor
I never thought of that - you're a wise man, Dave

Thanks for the compliment Galendor.
I guess it just comes from trying my best to use original equipment or better on my repairs. I always, or at least as much as I can, attempt to improve upon whatever I am repairing. I do that in hopes of not having to go back and do it again any time soon.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

FWIW, Bronco frames are not the same as F series frames, different width in the back.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
FWIW, Bronco frames are not the same as F series frames, different width in the back.

Good to know, I'll file that for future reference.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good to know, I'll file that for future reference.
In my case it is more like "I'll file that and may run across it at a future, random, time - but certainly not when I need it."

Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
In my case it is more like "I'll file that and may run across it at a future, random, time - but certainly not when I need it."

Well, that's what I meant to say. Lol.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I have no issues with the spare tire or carrier.

Could you post some more detailed pictures of how you have your spare tire carrier attached to the frame, particularly at the RH side? I'm mostly interested in the RH rear where the spare tire carrier is accessed near the bumper and, specifically, how that threaded rod is attached to your frame.

I have a Valley hitch on my F350 4x4 a PO installed but there wasn't a spare tire carrier, I got all the carrier parts from a JY and tried to hook 'em up but that hitch covers up a hole in the frame through which that rod is inserted (as I remember it, it's been several years since I looked at it).

Anyhow, I'm just wondering what yours looks like and how you got that to work....

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Could you post some more detailed pictures of how you have your spare tire carrier attached to the frame, particularly at the RH side? I'm mostly interested in the RH rear where the spare tire carrier is accessed near the bumper and, specifically, how that threaded rod is attached to your frame.
Anyhow, I'm just wondering what yours looks like and how you got that to work....

These are all the pictures that I have of it right now. None of these are exactly what you are looking for, but the closest that I have.

I hope these help. If they don't just let me know and I will take a picture of it all when I can.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I hope these help. If they don't just let me know and I will take a picture of it all when I can.
Those are good, thanks! I can see that rod where it attaches to the back of your truck, *that* is what I'm interested in seeing how people do this.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Those are good, thanks! I can see that rod where it attaches to the back of your truck, *that* is what I'm interested in seeing how people do this.

Good, glad it worked. Factory original, babay.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Looking at your great photos Dave, another reason for a real reciever hitch becomes clear to me: it serves as another (very strong) crossmember between the frame rails. Perhaps it might help to stiffen up the rear frame/suspension...

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
jazz1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck had the receiver when I bought the truck so I don't know about drilling holes,,,what I do know is I had to remove receiver to get the gas tank off to fix leaking sendingunitgasket

Quick Reply: Receiver hitch "no drilling required"?