69 F350 Bump Side Crew Cab Restoration - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

69 F350 Bump Side Crew Cab Restoration

 
  #31  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 PM
cj06's Avatar
cj06
cj06 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CASA GRANDE AZ
Posts: 2,007
cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 94 dodge 1 ton 4x4 sitting out back and the front axle is not one that i would be happy with , they have a single unit wheel bearing that cant be replaced by it's self comes with the hub ! and no locking hubs ! I like things the old way !

but with coil springs they might almost line up with whats on there !
one thing , make sure that the CASTER gets set correctly when you put all the brackets on that you will need or it will give you a big dose of DEATH WOBBLE !
 
  #32  
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
I have a 94 dodge 1 ton 4x4 sitting out back and the front axle is not one that i would be happy with , they have a single unit wheel bearing that cant be replaced by it's self comes with the hub ! and no locking hubs ! I like things the old way !

but with coil springs they might almost line up with whats on there !
one thing , make sure that the CASTER gets set correctly when you put all the brackets on that you will need or it will give you a big dose of DEATH WOBBLE !
Is there a reccommendation of a truck that would be a better set up. The only reason i was going with dodge was that it is the guy i was going to get TC and 4x4 OD tail housing from. Since then, i have located TC and OD housing else where. Is there a ford model you would reccomend? I've thought about just looking for a newer (90's) F-250 crew cab 4x4 chasis to go with, but i'd really like to keep the bump side chasis if it is do-able. I may be able to locate a ford 8 lug front end 97 or older. Any suggestions?????
 
  #33  
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM
cj06's Avatar
cj06
cj06 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CASA GRANDE AZ
Posts: 2,007
cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
there is nothing wrong with the dodge front axle if you get it for a good price !
a dana 60 from a 78-79 ford would be good , hard to find and can be expensive !
a dana 44 from any high boy 75-77.5 would work , putting springs under your truck is not that bad of a job !
a new dana 60 from 87-96 +- a year or 2 will work the newwer ones have ball joints as the older ones have king pins !
 
  #34  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would i be better off to get a front end from at 80's or 90's 1 ton ford?
 
  #35  
Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 AM
cj06's Avatar
cj06
cj06 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CASA GRANDE AZ
Posts: 2,007
cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i would , they have whats called a high pinion or reverse pinion as the pinion and yoke is on the top side of the pumpkin !
 
  #36  
Old 12-25-2011, 02:55 PM
jacks67ford
jacks67ford is offline
New User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
jacks67ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

yep thats why i working the 78 ford stuff under my bump club
 
  #37  
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
D350 Front Stub



So here is a pic of a 95 4x4 front stub. This is what i have located locally, thought is only an image i got online, to install on my F350 crew cab. I am wondering how difficult it will be to get the bracket that is just in front of the cab mount lined up for the stabilizer arms to work properly? I've been warned about a death wobble. I'm guessing that to be an out of control wobble of the front wheels at highway speeds. Feel free to educate me

I made some calls this morning to a couple of salvage yards. Most are still closed for Christmas break, but a guy in nashville tried to convince me that a newer superduty front end would be just as easy to put in my 69. I know i have to fab everything, so what will be the best 8 lug to go with.
 
  #38  
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
cj06's Avatar
cj06
cj06 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CASA GRANDE AZ
Posts: 2,007
cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
not the newer supper duty , the lug pattern is different than what you have , unless you went with both the front and rear from the same truck then that would be fine !
 
  #39  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
not the newer supper duty , the lug pattern is different than what you have , unless you went with both the front and rear from the same truck then that would be fine !
Would then the ABS stuff give me trouble? It might just be easier to locate an older wrecked superduty. The wheels for those things are crazy high though!
 
  #40  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
crazed87bronco's Avatar
crazed87bronco
crazed87bronco is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 4,352
crazed87bronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
liking the project but what's making you go down the hard trail with your front axle and frame setup? if i were you why not build your own front solid mount leaf spring crossmember and run 99-04 or newer super duty leaf springs and drop in a 70's dana 44 or 60 with disc brakes. this is exactly what i did on my 71 f250 crew cab 4x4 it was pretty simple to do and is a great setup also will ride alot better then what these trucks stock suspension is. sounds alot easier then what your trying to do
 
  #41  
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
jacks67ford
jacks67ford is offline
New User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
jacks67ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
club cab

when i cut the frame on the half ton after the hangers i get the 44 high pinon and i get the three link then comes the softer ride with more travel. disk brake front . it is all ford 4 in lift coils in front i can 3/4 or 1ton spring it in the rear and haul anything via 60 series east change to the serling 10.25 if i want all disk and the 400m and 351m have same bellhousing so i get my 460 powered stump puller
 
  #42  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco View Post
liking the project but what's making you go down the hard trail with your front axle and frame setup? if i were you why not build your own front solid mount leaf spring crossmember and run 99-04 or newer super duty leaf springs and drop in a 70's dana 44 or 60 with disc brakes. this is exactly what i did on my 71 f250 crew cab 4x4 it was pretty simple to do and is a great setup also will ride alot better then what these trucks stock suspension is. sounds alot easier then what your trying to do

I want to stay 8 lug 6.5 centers on the wheels. I'm not married to the dodge front end, it is just all that i can find locally. I don't think i could afford to build the dana 44 to stand the torque of a 5.9 cummins. It would be great to find a 97 or older front differential that i could build the carriers for.
 
  #43  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM
crazed87bronco's Avatar
crazed87bronco
crazed87bronco is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 4,352
crazed87bronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A Dana 60 front axle from a 70's Ford will bolt right in no problems with factory leaf width and will handle the cummins no problem what kind of suspension are you wanting in the front and how high of a lift 4 link coil spring or leafs this may help determine what axle would be best to use also what transmission and what side front output t case drive will you have drivers or passenger side?
 
  #44  
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 PM
jacks67ford
jacks67ford is offline
New User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
jacks67ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
go go club bump

i'm running a 50 in my excursion (7.3) and it is a 44 with a bigger set of axles 44's are tuff if gets and after market long axle, replace it and they are a hard nut to crack ..just make sure and keep and eye on the bushings on the dodge front end and you wont get a death wobble there is where the problem is. other than that it should make you a good runner need to bush them bout 90k or so most often and they are good to go.
 

Last edited by jacks67ford; 12-27-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: missed a word
  #45  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 AM
brobrad's Avatar
brobrad
brobrad is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 487
brobrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco View Post
A Dana 60 front axle from a 70's Ford will bolt right in no problems with factory leaf width and will handle the cummins no problem what kind of suspension are you wanting in the front and how high of a lift 4 link coil spring or leafs this may help determine what axle would be best to use also what transmission and what side front output t case drive will you have drivers or passenger side?
I'm not going to put any lift on the truck. I believe the 69 Crew is on a High boy frame (per another forum). Whether it is or not i'm leaving it as it is. The tranny is a a518 and the TC is a 241dhd with drivers drop. If i could find an 8 dana 60 i'd be happy!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 F350 Bump Side Crew Cab Restoration


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.