6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

35k miles on it, and they say the motor needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Find out if they removed all the glow plugs and cranked the engine. Ask to hear it turn over with the plugs removed.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 get it out of there any way you can, i understand not wanting to offend, but at 8k that would offend me, have your other buddy look it over and get a second opinion, engines have grenaded before with needle bearings and the whole motor has to be completely disassebled to the bare block which would be cheaper to buy a long block if that was the case, but those grenadings are rare. and anything in this price range needs at least a second opinion if not a third

Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like it is a hydrolock problem and they should remove the fluid from that cylinder to determine if it's fuel or coolant. If it's fuel they should fix the cause of that problem and start the engine. Then they should do further diagnosis to validate the engines condition as okay or condemn it.
If they are not willing to try and save you some money, go elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 AM
greenstar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Guys. So they called, and I talked with them again. He sauys Ford has agreed to give me more money, and the bill will be down around $6,500 for a brand new motor!

I said, "Well that obviously sounds better than $14,000!, and thank you for trying to help me out... But quite frankly, what you are telling me is that I bought a lemon, and now I am going to have to spend 6-7thousand dollars in order to fix a truck which only has 35k miles on it!!"

He didnt really like that. And said that he couldnt call it that. He says that maybe something started going wrong with the truck, for example it started smoking and I didnt see it, but I kept driving it, and thats what killed it.
I told him I am observant of all of those things, and nothing was noticeable!

I told him that I was told by mechanics that those rarely grenade themselves, especially with such low miles, couldnt we determine what exactly caused all of this, look into it further, and determine if this was a manufacturer defective part that failed early, or if it was in my fault.
He told me when they got it running it started making a knocking noise!! So it needs engine work!

Now I'm wondering if they foolishly started and ran this without checking certain things, and maybe permanently damaged the engine this way, and thats why it needs replacement.
It didnt knock when it initially died.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
B.S. !! That shop needs work or someone is trying to steal your engine and it seems to me that there is likely nothing wrong with your engine
Corporate Ford does not negotiate prices that fast or drop them that low so easily. If you do get a "NEW" engine someone at the dealership is going to get a very good low mileage "core" that will not need anything. You might get a new engine and then again you might get a "rattle can special".
I suggest that you call Ford corporate and get verification in writing.
You can tell the dealer you need their diagnosis and "out the door" price for your bank as you are going to have to go there for a loan to pay for the job.
You should then fax a copy to the consumer protection agency in your city or state and to Ford Corporate. I'll bet someone ends up fired or that dealership loses it's franchise from Ford.
This deal sounds like fraud and stinks to high heaven.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I would bet that the dealership will offer "In House" financing with 0% interest to keep you away from the "bank" and avoid giving you an "Out the door "price in writing.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
greenstar
Senior User
UPDATE::

Guys, so I went in and spoke with the mechanic. He was willing to spend some time speaking with me. He says the motor will run now, but it makes a lot of noise. He says its wrapping, although I didnt start it!! He said that it has serious blow-by and smoke and oil is spitting out of the oil filler cap, and smoking from the dip-stick. He was very apologetic. He said that there is really no real diagnosing what the original cause was without actually pulling the motor apart.

The service manager said Ford is willing to pitch in $5300, but that is as high as they will go. He said that the offer is only good until December 9th it must be completed, otherwise they will recind the offer. I asked for the complete total price in writing. He said they are "giving [me] warranty pricing." And he gave me a written total for a new motor: $8,100.

I told him I wanted to speak with the mechanic!

SO GUYS... DO I HAVE ANY OTHER RECOURSE?
What about getting a lawyer to approach Ford.. or do they attempt a lawsuit with the original dealer that sold me the truck? (lemon law lawyer??)

Now I may have stated above, I followed all of the manufacturer's periodic maintenances and recommended service dates and mileage intervals. I brought it to the dealership each time. Except, I only brought it to another place once, and I hope that this was not a big mistake, or the dagger!. I have been told I am fool for doing this, and guys are hollering at me.. I brought it to a Jiffylube for its last oil change! It was exactly one year ago to the day, and 5,000miles ago. I just called up Jiffylube, they looked up my ticket, and they told me they used Rotella 15W40 for these Ford diesel trucks, and they looked up my ticket and there was record of that. The truck had oil in it when I checked after it died.

What do you guys think?

Happy holiday to you.
unhappy holiday to me

Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
That's a tough one, greenstar. You're so far down the road with this dealer, and the 5 large from Ford is hard to walk away from. The bad thing is that I think you can buy a used motor or even a reman long block for less money. But then you need a shop you can trust to do the work. And I don't know if there is one near you. I guess that if you have trust in the tech you spoke to, you're going to have to stick with him.

We cannot talk about lawsuits around here. So lets leave that one alone.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
at somepoint we must all be come owners in the truist sence of the word. the deal seems pretty good to me keeping in mind the warranty.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
smacDiesel
Freshman User
What scares me about Jiffylube is the non oem oil filter they most likely used. I wonder if that thing got sucked into your engine.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
You might find some valuable information through the Mass. FTE chapter here; Massachusetts Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All you need is a couple of grenaded injectors (yes, it does happen), then the truck coasts to a stop, complete with a bent rod, busted piston, blowing smoke out of the oil fill and dipstick, after removing glowplugs to relieve hydrolock. So, the ones that think they're incompetent, you might want to research answers before saying something stupid. The vehicles that are more likely to do this....lots of time, not much mileage............like yours!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Just my $0.02's but since they won't go higher dollar wise I would push them for an extended warranty. They can make you happy without costing them $$$. Maybe even throw in you keeping the old motor.

A new engine w/factory warranty is hard to pass up for the price.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
A new engine with an extended warrantee would be hard to pass up at that price, IMO. Ford does give a very good warrantee on their new and reman engines & transmissions now.
If you go that way don't expect to get to keep your old engine as they often take them back for evaluation. It won't hurt to ask for it but, don't expect to get it. If to do get to keep it you will have some valuable spares. If Ford does not want it back you might be able to buy it back for the core value. It will be expensive though.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greenstar
Its at a Ford dealership in Boston!
If you still don't have a comfort level with the dealership it is currently at, one shop I can strongly recommend is Mass Diesel in Bellingham MA.

Ask for Scott Hovey.

Mass Diesel
179 Mechanic Street
Bellingham MA
(508) 657 1951

The shop is about 1 mile off exit 17 on I-495. Going west on Rte 140 it's on the left.

Quick Reply: 35k miles on it, and they say the motor needs replacement