6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SG2 X gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Makes good sense to me. No count=no codes for sure?
My DTC Count shows 1 right now. I took it to O'Reilly's for a scan and their scanner came up with zilch... I was thinking of going to another parts house and seeing if a different scanner came up with a code. Truck is running super, just curious why the SG DTC count shows a 1 and what it is...

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
O'Rileys had the Innova scanner? I think that's the line they carry. I bought a 3150 last year and was pretty disappointed because it didn't show live data. sold it to a friend at work for a loss. My understanding is if it's labeled CAN (Controller Area Network) it will pull generic and manufacturer specific codes. There are other protocols like ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4. I think these "languages" relate to other networks like transmission and ABS etc. but I haven't sorted out which protocol is used by which network.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My dtc count would show 1 one day, then 0 another trip. Got the Torque APP. And scanned for codes. The dang thing pulled a fan speed code. (Wire issue)

Anyway, that is one reason I use that gauge.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
yea, the ScanGuage's biggest use is the gauges. It's just not great as a scan tool. to be fair though, the DTC count did alert you that somthing might be going on. I also dont have much use for the trip computer functions. I noticed on the website thats the first talking point. That part may work good, I havent played with it.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

yea, the ScanGuage's biggest use is the gauges. It's just not great as a scan tool. to be fair though, the DTC count did alert you that somthing might be going on. I also dont have much use for the trip computer functions. I noticed on the website thats the first talking point. That part may work good, I havent played with it.
Yes, SGII was mainly a way for folks to learn new driving techniques to save fuel. Thus, all the fuel mileage information, trip info and others.

For Us, it is becoming a gauge/diagnostic tool. So, I'd hope they get the scan part improved.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
O'Rileys had the Innova scanner? I think that's the line they carry. I bought a 3150 last year and was pretty disappointed because it didn't show live data. sold it to a friend at work for a loss. My understanding is if it's labeled CAN (Controller Area Network) it will pull generic and manufacturer specific codes. There are other protocols like ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4. I think these "languages" relate to other networks like transmission and ABS etc. but I haven't sorted out which protocol is used by which network.
I'm not sure what they were using at O'Reilly's. I'll probably run by AutoZone this weekend and see if they can find this elusive DTC on my truck. At least my SG says there's one there, be nice to know what it is. Sean's Torque app doesn't work on my iPhone, so that's not an option, but it sounds cool.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Idahoser
Tuned
Thank you for that DTC count XGauge, I didn't have that one. It showed 2 so on the way home last night I got AutoZone to scan, didn't find anything. I used the SG to force clear (It does have a place after "scan" finds no codes, it shows "Pending Codes" but found none, there's a "Force Clear" and now my count is zero. No idea what those two were, still want to find a way to read those I guess.

What about the other popular gauge units, Insight, AutoEnginuity etc.? That A/E looks awesome and not too terribly expensive... not a full-time tool of course, needing a laptop and all

Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Of course, AE would be best. I would love to have that in the tool chest.

As for every day use, I'm not sure how Insight does when scanning for codes.

How would an Insight user know about those soft codes? Are Insight users only scanning when CEL comes on? Don't know.

I have always read on here about those codes being there, just didn't know I had one until DTC gauge came along.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 AM
LSAtexan4x4
Elder User
I got my sg2 yesterday. Is there an x gauge for oil pressure? Not ICP just one to show numbers in place of the factory gauge?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Originally Posted by LSAtexan4x4
I got my sg2 yesterday. Is there an x gauge for oil pressure? Not ICP just one to show numbers in place of the factory gauge?
Nope, sorry. The issue is the truck, not SGII.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
after 'force clear' on the SG brought my DTC count to zero, a couple days later it went to '1' and I tried O'Reilly this time. They couldn't see anything either. So I don't know if we're all using lame tools or maybe there really isn't a problem?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
kirbybear
Freshman User
04 104,000 miles. Running just fine. Just went out and programmed DTC. showed 1 code .

Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
grahamdelooze
Junior User
Hello Chaps,
I noticed that in the Scangauge Data given in the link in an earlier post that FI1 and FI2 have the same MTH code? and FI6 and FI7 are both for cylinder #6 with no cylinder #8. I would like to clarify and also do these codes enable these injectors to be switched off, if so we can do a cylinder contribution test.
graham

Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an Actron 9575 scanner and it has pulled codes on my 03 Dodge Ram Quad Cab and on our 97 Suburban but the CEL's are on on those vehicles. I havent input the stored code xguage on my scanguage yet but will over the weekend after we finish with my stc fitting install. I have never had an engine light on or had any codes read on my 05 6.0 but I dont know if my Actron has to have an engine light on for it to pick them up. I dont know how good that scanner is as I really dont know much about these code readers. I will see if I get any counts and then recheck with the Actron over the weekend.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
I'm looking at ELM327 interfaces to use with the Torque app. Suggestions? A lot of the info I'm finding in search is pretty old, A/E was $200 WITH the Ford bundle!

Quick Reply: SG2 X gauges