1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Ibuzzards' Strategy For Keeping A Fridge On The Road, In Perpetuity(Google THAT, Numbskulls)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok

well I know I don't have that thing, but will surely check out my vents/air ducts.

and yeah mine just came with a prop-stick for the wore out hood springs, rides up there on the fender under the hood but no speacial heater or Hula girl...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
It's not a big deal,really.Both the standard and Magic Aire will get you warm,bye-and bye.The magic Aire draws in fresh air, and is supposedly more efficient ,especially at removing moisture laden air from the cab.Can't say if it's true, I've only ever had this one Fridge.

I can tell you this:If you have the chance to get the cardboard defrost outlets from old 57-60 trucks,grab them.They are often missing or deteriorated to the point of crumbling,and are hard to find.Even in decent condition,they deform over time and usually don't seal well to the dash, leaking air to below the dash area,causing slow windshield defrosting..They often go for high prices on eBay.There's a guy asking 125.00 for a pair in an auction now.
I had six defrost ducts to choose from but I still needed to repair the two best ones. (By the way, I still have the four others such as they are just bebuzz, or I mean just because!) Used brown paper bag pieces and water proof wood glue to fill in where the mice had lunch. On one of them I used small pieces of tooth pick to spread the top open evenly along the defroster opening in the dash.
My hood hinges were weak as well. Turns out that the springs had worn notches into the bottom side of the hidge so that the tension was not what it should be. I removed the springs and filled in the notches and replaced after painting. They work awsome. I even was then able to put some new hood bumpers on the front corners of the hood that won't get smashed off! Fridges have HUGE hoods!!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Steve/all good advice.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Caution.... on 2 occasions I have lowered the front end of my fridge down from my floor jack by quickly unscrewing the handle, and after a odd delay I heard a HUGE slam. Both times the hood was open and as you might have noticed, they slam with amazing authority. If I'd been resting my hand near the radiator or anywhere under the hood, it would have been disastrous. Whenever the hood droops beyond a certain point it slams like a giant and powerful rat trap. Guess I should put this on my list of things to fix..... .

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I googled that, and here is the first thing on the list that came up --
How To Get Rid of Mice | Oh My Apartment

<CITE>ohmyapt.apartmentratings.com › OhMyApartmentHealth & Safety</CITE>
<CITE></CITE>
<CITE>This thread came up second. </CITE>
<CITE></CITE>
<CITE>And I am nowhere as well organized on spare parts. As I find them available, I buy what I can afford and stash them away in the barn.</CITE>

Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Caution.... on 2 occasions I have lowered the front end of my fridge down from my floor jack by quickly unscrewing the handle, and after a odd delay I heard a HUGE slam. Both times the hood was open and as you might have noticed, they slam with amazing authority. If I'd been resting my hand near the radiator or anywhere under the hood, it would have been disastrous. Whenever the hood droops beyond a certain point it slams like a giant and powerful rat trap. Guess I should put this on my list of things to fix..... .
I used the normal type of mouse trap. Actually caught one in this trap right after I got the truck home. [/IMG] That hood would do some serious damage though!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
In an attempt to keep this thread on it's original course, I will add a mouse story about my 37 1 1/2 ton. It does have to do with keeping your truck on the road for perpituity. Last winter I hopped in the cab to use the truck and it stunk inside like mouse urine. Upon investigation, they had moved in to the header over the windshield and packed it entirely full of dog food kibbles. The headliner was sagging down where once it had been in remarkable unrestored condition. This also was full of dogfood. Did I mention all the cotton batting in both places? That was harvested from the seat. The header area was rusting badly from the urine. Fortunately there are 2 rectangular access panels there for the wipers so I could clean it out. The headliner was toast and the batting, dog food and feces rained down as I tore it out. I saw no damage to the wiring, but that would have been next. The dog food came from my cabinet shop where my employee had an open bag to feed his dog he brings to work every day. That part I'll blame on him. As for me, I had left out the plate around the steering column and also the floor plate at the shifter. I really feel that a couple more months of this would have been catastrophic to this great original truck. Keep 'em on the road and keep the mice in the traps where they belong. And keep the dog food an a metal garbage can with a tight fitting lid. I have heard that a bar of the original green irish spring soap will ward off these unwanted homesteaders. I think I'll carve it into a cross.....

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya for sure mice can do some "unbelievable" damage. Both to old and new cars.

I had a school teacher that showed us this big square configuration of hair/sticks/paper/feathers...you name it, and her mechanic pulled the thing out of the air filter box in her modern van that she parked at her house in the country.

For some reason the van just "wasn't running too good"

Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I keep a small book with me to parts swap meets, with my needs with the possable part numbers.