Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird exhaust problem

Hey guys, got a weird issue with my exhaust.

Been running a Flowmaster for a while but I got tired of the drone (it was getting worse). I swapped the Flow out for a 28'' Thrush glasspack. Took care of the drone, but now the truck sounds like utter crap. I've had a glasspack on the truck before and it sounded good, so why does now the truck sound horrible? It doesn't even have a decent idle.

Before the Flowmaster, when I had a glasspack, I had cats. My cat is gutted so by all rights my truck should sound better. I do have a minor exhaust leak but didn't think that would cause this.

Any ideas anyone? I'm really scratching my head on this one. I'm not about sounding like some punk kid or anything but I don't want my truck to sound like junk.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need some more absorption. Try a Magnaflow out and see how it sounds. They're a straight thru design, however they have heavy cases and much more packing than a glasspack. Larger case will lower the tone and smooth it out.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Hello Brother, thanks for your time. I've heard a 300 on youtube with nothing but a glasspack like I have and the truck sounded great.

Do you think a minor exhaust leak would cause this phenominon?

I'm truly stumped. The truck should sound good with no cats.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hello Brother, thanks for your time. I've heard a 300 on youtube with nothing but a glasspack like I have and the truck sounded great.

Do you think a minor exhaust leak would cause this phenominon?

I'm truly stumped. The truck should sound good with no cats.
Bill, mine took a random turn.....Mine has the cats, etc.....

And has a Dynomax muffler.....Well, apparently the valve tore up.....its a LOT deeper now...

Idk what the deal was...But now, it sounds

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm glad to see you ditched the Blowmaster Bill.

Before did you just have the front cat or both cats?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
wheres your exhaust leak? ive had minor exhaust leaks make my truck sound like a worn out camry

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't wrote sooner, where I live the internet truly blows chunks. I'll be lucky to get this post to go through.

Ty, I had the front resonator and a highflow cat. Now I just have the resonator (or whatever it is) and a glasspack.

I'm not sure where my leak is. I believe it may be coming from the cat / resonator thingie. If it's a cat it's supposed to be gutted but I didn't do the work myself so I'm not sure.

The truck does sound better now that I've put under 200 miles on the glasspack, but the truck should still sound much better than it does currently. If you look on youtube of a 300 with no cats and a glasspack it sounds really good.

I know, it's a weird one, but if your truck sounded like a Camry with an exhaust leak then maybe that's my issue also. Shouldn't I be able to see any steam in the cold if I have an exhaust leak???

Thanks guys!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
put your foot over the exhaust and listen for where the exhaust leak is. it will hiss

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Hunt89
Senior User
You can also squirt a little transmission fluid in the intake and rev the motor and it will blow white smoke out for a little bit. Thats how I found all of mine lol. If just blows out the end then most likely there isnt a leak or there might be just a pin hole leak and you can't see the smoke coming out.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
hunt has a good idea. give that a shot AND put your foot over the exhaust while looking for smoke lol. i always check for exhaust leaks when i seafoam my truck since the smoke is so noticeable.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
jr4racing56
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hey guys, got a weird issue with my exhaust.

Been running a Flowmaster for a while but I got tired of the drone (it was getting worse). I swapped the Flow out for a 28'' Thrush glasspack. Took care of the drone, but now the truck sounds like utter crap. I've had a glasspack on the truck before and it sounded good, so why does now the truck sound horrible? It doesn't even have a decent idle.

Before the Flowmaster, when I had a glasspack, I had cats. My cat is gutted so by all rights my truck should sound better. I do have a minor exhaust leak but didn't think that would cause this.

Any ideas anyone? I'm really scratching my head on this one. I'm not about sounding like some punk kid or anything but I don't want my truck to sound like junk.

most of your mufflers over time end up "burning out" for lack of a better term and getting louder and loosing more tone, but its still more than a straight through glasspack.

So before with your cats on your truck they were baffling you down, now your more of a straight pipe no muffle or baffle really.

the leak if at the manifold will be more of a tick, if further back more of a puff, blow. the leak isnt your problem, lack of baffle is. just my .02

Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Alright, thanks guys.

I think I found the source. I went through my exhaust setup tightening everything up. The muffler was really loose.

I still hear noise coming from my first cat (or around it) but it doesn't seem to stay. It comes and goes.

The glasspack sounds better now. I'm happy with it at the moment. In-cab noise isn't nearly as bad as the flowmaster.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Bill, I'm wondering how it'd sound to simply cut the muffler off the truck, and just go with the cat/resonater for sound....Then the pipe to move the exit back to X position...?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Hunt89
Senior User
Originally Posted by octaneforce
hunt has a good idea. give that a shot AND put your foot over the exhaust while looking for smoke lol. i always check for exhaust leaks when i seafoam my truck since the smoke is so noticeable.
I will try holding my foot over the exhaust next time . I bet that would help find that little bit of white smoke coming out of the leak!

Originally Posted by jr4racing56
the leak if at the manifold will be more of a tick, if further back more of a puff, blow. the leak isnt your problem, lack of baffle is. just my .02
I'm not trying to high jack the thread. How can you tell the difference between the manifold leak and an engine tick?

My brother has a 99 jeep wrangler with a 4.0 straight six and his intake/exhaust gasket is leaking pretty bad and his exhaust sounds like total ***. Everything is stock on his jeep.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
jr4racing56
Freshman User
Hunt, if it's really loud chances are you'd be able to feel the leak. (air hitting Gloved hand) you can also have a helper plug the exhaust and that should amplify the leak so you know that is what it is and not a engine tick/ knock.

Or you can pull the manifold look it over real good for cracks and replace the gasket. That would be the sure fire way

Quick Reply: Weird exhaust problem