6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

07 PSD, bucks/jerks before downshift at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM
MDracer76
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 07 PSD, bucks/jerks before downshift at highway speeds

All,

I am trying to figure out an issue with my 2007 6.0 PSD. When I am at highway speeds (60 ~75 mph) and I approach a hill, my truck starts to buck / jerk a few times before it downshifts. If I give it more gas, the downshift is smooth. There is plenty of power, its not 'missing'.. if just feels like it can't make up its mind to down shift. I am NOT hauling or towing anything at the time this occurs.

Here are some of the things I have down to attempt to diagnose:

* No Codes in my scanguage II
* Pulled the EGR connection and drove the truck, problem still occurred.
* Noticed that when the transmission temp is above 150 degrees, the problem does not occur as often.
* initially suspected injectors, ran some diesel clean thru

Some of the things it does right:

* Pulls nice and strong when you get on it.
* No bucking/ jerking on downshift when below highway speeds.
* Normal shifts around town are smooth and event free
* No issues changing from reverse to park to drive.

I've tried searching and can not find anything related to my issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
Thank you!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
retiredinstructor
Junior User
you may have a lock up torque convertor issue i would try to have codes read by a scan tool that can read all powertrain codes have you tried tow haul mode just food for thought

Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
There are a couple of things you can check. Pull the EGR valve and clean it up if it's dirty. Also, check the small black rubber hose from the passenger side intake manifold to the MAP sensor and the nipple it connects to on the manifold for an obstruction, it could be stopped up. And check the EBP tube and sensor for crud. It's a hardline on the drivers side front of engine. Good luck! Could be a no-cost fix.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
eman588G
Junior User
I had a very very simliar issues as to the one described here as well. I was concerned it was a tranny related issue as well. Well Had it in the shop today to run some tests and they came back with "Found Turbo assembly sticking causing lack of boost". It sure didn't seem like a lack of boost thats for sure. Wanted to replace the turbo and VGT solenoid. $3600.. WOW.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by eman588G
I had a very very simliar issues as to the one described here as well. I was concerned it was a tranny related issue as well. Well Had it in the shop today to run some tests and they came back with "Found Turbo assembly sticking causing lack of boost". It sure didn't seem like a lack of boost thats for sure. Wanted to replace the turbo and VGT solenoid. $3600.. WOW.
Wow.. that is no fun. I monitor my boost at the time this is occurring, and there are no spikes or drops in boost. so I hope that is not the case here. This weekend I am going to pull the EGR and clean it if needed. figured I'd start there.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
eman588G
Junior User
Were you monitoring your stock boost guage? Cause I looked down in that direction as well and it said it had a bunch of boost and I didn't see it move as well. I think I am going to pull the EGR as well this weekend to see what shape its in. Keep us updated on what you find. I am going to be pulling my trailer(10K) here again in a couple weeks and will see what happens. As well take it on the highway and without the trailer and see if I can make it do it again. Going to run some ctane boost and cleaner as well for a few tanks of fuel.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 AM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by eman588G
Were you monitoring your stock boost guage? Cause I looked down in that direction as well and it said it had a bunch of boost and I didn't see it move as well. I think I am going to pull the EGR as well this weekend to see what shape its in. Keep us updated on what you find. I am going to be pulling my trailer(10K) here again in a couple weeks and will see what happens. As well take it on the highway and without the trailer and see if I can make it do it again. Going to run some ctane boost and cleaner as well for a few tanks of fuel.
No.... stock guages in this truck are mostly useless. I am monitoring boost via my scangauge II

I've been running Diesel Clean in the last few tanks too.

I find the less I am on the gas pedal as I approach a hill, the more it is bucking. If I feed it a bit more pedal, it seems to make up its mind. down shift, and go

Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Bucking sounds like a injector has gone out. Or is on its way out.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Bucking sounds like a injector has gone out. Or is on its way out.
From what I read, that is not a hard fix, but what stumps me, is this truck pulls just as hard, if not a little harder than my buddies. All gears / speeds it does not hiccup a bit.. but.. once I am at highway speeds relaxed or on cruise control, and approach a hill it bucks a bit before downshifting, and once past the hill, is OK.

If It were an injector going, I would assume that it would be an issue in all gears?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,517 Likes on 1,749 Posts
I would make sure the strategies are the most up-to-date before starting to replace things.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
I would make sure the strategies are the most up-to-date before starting to replace things.
Will do. I'm going to make an appointment at ford to just have them check and update the flash on the CPU's

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM
MDracer76
New User
Originally Posted by MDracer76
Will do. I'm going to make an appointment at ford to just have them check and update the flash on the CPU's
Took it to my buddy at ford, and check the software revs on bothe the ECU and TCM, and both are up to date. The mystery continues.

He did suggest that we drop the pan on the trans, and replace both filters. (i did not know there were two.) Seems like a reasonable thing to do, and it wont cost me too much money or time.

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
MDracer76
New User
Also, forgot to post that I removed, cleaned and inspected the EGR. It looked OK when I took it out. not all coked up.

cleaned and just before installing seals back in

Quick Reply: 07 PSD, bucks/jerks before downshift at highway speeds