1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Year with NO electronics in Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Originally Posted by Wigglesdabum
I can push start it cant I? There for no need for the battery. I dont care too much about gauges and all that i just need point A to point B once or twice. And I live in the South so I dont really need to warm it up to much with glow plugs. At least I think thats what the glow plugs are for.
If you're going to take it down to this level, no Ford diesel engine ever sold is completely free of an electrical part. All of the injector pumps have an electronic solenoid valve that opens to allow fuel flow and closes to shut down the engine. No power, no fuel flow.

In theory, you could gerry rig a manual valve in there, but you'd have to know the internals of the injector pump.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I for one would love to see you try and push start a full size diesel pickup, please post a video on youtube before the end of days.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anomic
I wouldnt worry about. If you are cruising teowawki in a diesel pickup when most everything else is disabled someone will just take it from you anyway
good point. Better off investing in a 12 gauge.

Originally Posted by akorcovelos
I for one would love to see you try and push start a full size diesel pickup, please post a video on youtube before the end of days.

OP: I'd be looking into getting a Doble steam car if I were you. High torque starting at 1rpm, no electronics, and will run on just about anything flammable.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
For the cost of all this... buy a horse. Seriously. They run on unprocessed bio-diesel, and the 4wd is amazing.

But I'll play your game:
Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack

Auto's aren't as susceptible to an EMP as it seems right off the bat, especially when the partial sheilding of the electronics is combined with the strength of the blast falling off significantly as distance increases. Basically, if the truck is off, you're fine. If the truck is running, you'll probably be fine. If it's bad enough that everything stops, unless you have a Gravedigger, you aren't making it through the traffic out of town before the zombies or Chinese find you.
Originally Posted by Article
The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles derives from the use of built-in electronics
that support multiple automotive functions. Electronic components were first
introduced into automobiles in the late 1960s. As time passed and electronics technologies
evolved, electronic applications in automobiles proliferated. Modern automobiles
have as many as 100 microprocessors that control virtually all functions. While electronic
applications have proliferated within automobiles, so too have application standards and
electromagnetic interference and electromagnetic compatibility (EMI/EMC) practices.

Thus, while it might be expected that increased EMP vulnerability would accompany the
proliferated electronics applications, this trend, at least in part, is mitigated by the
increased application of EMI/EMC practices.

Eighteen running and
nonrunning trucks were exposed to simulated EMP in a laboratory. The intensity of the
EMP fields was increased until either anomalous response was observed or simulator
limits were reached. The trucks ranged from gasoline-powered pickup trucks to large diesel-
powered tractors. Truck vintages ranged from 1991 to 2003.

Of the trucks that were not running during EMP exposure, none were subsequently
affected during our test. Thirteen of the 18 trucks exhibited a response while running.
Most seriously, three of the truck motors stopped. Two could be restarted immediately,
but one required towing to a garage for repair. The other 10 trucks that responded exhibited
relatively minor temporary responses that did not require driver intervention to correct.
Five of the 18 trucks tested did not exhibit any anomalous response up to field
strengths of approximately 50 kV/m.

Based on these test results, we expect few truck effects at EMP field levels below
approximately 12 kV/m.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
n7bsn
Junior User
The report, in general is a good starting point.
Some things to consider, newer (smaller) circuits have smaller sizes, and run on lower voltages. Why this might be an issue is it can take a lower EMP field to generate enough power to fry the circuit.
Or, why, sometimes old circuits are better (I have a friend that keeps a 100% tube radio just for this purpose). In some ways, the most modern, smallest, fastest ICs are the most vulnerable. On the flip side, they are also the easier to shield. Today's FCC RFI rules are good enough, that an amazing amount of consumer electronics would survive.
On the flip side (going back to stuff I did almost 40 years ago), in a full strike, EVERY refinery there is, every major tank-farm is on the list. Why, well, it takes fuel to move equipment or aircraft. So the only fuel you will have is what you have on strike day. Don't count on getting any fuel anywhere else.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Wigglesdabum
Senior User
@N7bsn Hey what parts in newer trucks should i buy to replace if I want to go newer than that? ECM, Alternator, fuel injectors? I want to know what the price will be if I try to go newer and faraday the parts. Thanks for your help. Also if I got a 4BT and put it in a F150 would that be as safe as a 6BT in a Ram?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Why not build a cave, park a truck in there with a faraday cage surrounding the whole thing?

About as ludicrous and time consuming and waste of $$$ as laying in electronics supplies for a actually occurance of Red Dawn, or The Beach. BTW, that is a much more likely scenario (The Beach).

Old 11-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well I am trying to have a vehicle that is EMP proof..
You've been talking to my wife haven't you?!. I recently built her a new pantry in the basement and its full already!!

Look at my sig. No electronics in my old single wire IDI. My wife has already made plans that it will be our bug out vehicle in the event of an EMP strike.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will kust wait for someone else to build a emp proof vehicle then take it ftom them after the apocalypse. This frres up a lot of time and money.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Wigglesdabum
Senior User
Originally Posted by doublenot7
I will kust wait for someone else to build a emp proof vehicle then take it ftom them after the apocalypse. This frres up a lot of time and money.
See you could try that but you would get two to the chest and 1 to the dome piece if you tried.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM
SAR Skipper
Junior User
@1973Ford2004 I just will have whats in the tank and then my fuel cans will get rotated every once in a while.
Consider WVO/Bio fuel/Alt. Fuel sources over standard diesel fuel...or be prepared to steal/take it!
And don't bet on the availability of any "normal" fuel sources.

@N7bsn Not concerned with the Sun. more a strike.
I think I'd be more concerned with solar issues than a strike.
In a "strike", I think I'll have bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) than worrying about a rig.

@redford. I can push start it cant I? There for no need for the battery.
Ok, I single handedly pushed a loaded dump truck out of the road...once.
I was considerably younger and in much better shape. Even then, it took quite a while to get the momentum going to keep the truck rolling.
Push starting a F/S diesel is going to be interesting to say the least. Unless that is, you're on a hill. Then release the brake and let gravity take over

I dont care too much about gauges and all that i just need point A to point B once or twice
I'm not trying to be a dick, so please don't thake this that way, but if you don't pay attention to your guages, once or twice might be all you get out of it anyway.

Originally Posted by n7bsn
...Me, I would stick modern, buy spares and store them in a Faraday cage
Excellent advise.

Originally Posted by Anomic
I wouldnt worry about. If you are cruising teowawki in a diesel pickup when most everything else is disabled someone will just take it from you anyway
Good point.

Originally Posted by doublenot7
yep!

See you could try that but you would get two to the chest and 1 to the dome piece if you tried.
Right...you'd have to see it coming first
Once you're hit, the rest becomes a moot issue