EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

2011 4x4 supercrew EcoBoost "DISLIKE"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
In the context of acceleration more rpms is more boost.
Um...no it's not. You clearly don't understand how EFI (or an engine for that matter)works. Say for example, I am empty and lightly accelerate without getting into boost (remaining in the vacuum cells of the map). As I accelerate, I pass through each different rpm range, but never put enough load on the engine to even touch boost (once again, still pulling vacuum). As my RPM's INCREASE, HP is also increasing. (TorqueXRPM/5252=Horsepower.) So, as my RPMs are increasing IN vacuum, so is my HP, enabling me to keep accelerating, all without even touching boost. Now if I floored it, yes, I'd get into boost. But you can easily accelerate while in vacuum and not even touch boost assuming you're empty/not pulling a heavy load. I can drive around 5k rpm all day and remain in vaccum. Is it good for my engine? No. But it is possible. Just because you're at a certain RPM does not mean you're in boost. I could be in boost at 1k rpm or in vacuum at 6k rpm...it's all LOAD based, NOT rpm based.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exactly, check out this video I made going down the 1/4 mile. Note as rpms build, boost backs off as it nears shift point. Also note the throttle position at lower left.

GOPR0272.MP4 - YouTube

Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rancheroracer
Exactly, check out this video I made going down the 1/4 mile. Note as rpms build, boost backs off as it nears shift point. Also note the throttle position at lower left.

GOPR0272.MP4 - YouTube
Yup...and if you hadn't floored it, you wouldn't have even entered into boost, you'd have stayed in vacuum the whole time. If you get a chance, make a video of accelerating very slowly while the tranny is locked in 1st gear...as the rpms increase, the load will decrease (vacuum increases)

Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonbar87
Yup...and if you hadn't floored it, you wouldn't have even entered into boost, you'd have stayed in vacuum the whole time. If you get a chance, make a video of accelerating very slowly while the tranny is locked in 1st gear...as the rpms increase, the load will decrease (vacuum increases)
I agree, I've seen that. I've noticed that the vac/boost has nothing to do with speed/rpm, load is what makes it go into boost. Driving at cruise for example my truck normally is at 2 to 4 inches vac, any headwind/uphill, etc. moves it into boost. Steeper the hill, the more the boost goes up without any change of speed/rpm unless of course it gets steep enough to cause a converter unlock or downshift. I'm looking forward to when SVT is ready for programs, I'll have Mike at 5 Star fix me up.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rancheroracer
I agree, I've seen that. I've noticed that the vac/boost has nothing to do with speed/rpm, load is what makes it go into boost. Driving at cruise for example my truck normally is at 2 to 4 inches vac, any headwind/uphill, etc. moves it into boost. Steeper the hill, the more the boost goes up without any change of speed/rpm unless of course it gets steep enough to cause a converter unlock or downshift. I'm looking forward to when SVT is ready for programs, I'll have Mike at 5 Star fix me up.
Yup, you're correct. I've tuned many EFI engines (N/A, supercharged, and turbo'd) with AEM's aftermarket ECUs and that is how EFI works. It is all load based.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally figured out how to get a picture off my phone. This was driving 60 mph with a tail wind on a two lane highway. I normmally cann't stand to drive this slow however I was behind a convoy of about 5 commercial trucks and didn't feel like trying to get around all of them. Lately with the cold weather (below zero) I seem to be having a hard time getting above 18 mpg! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

<CENTER itxtNodeId="45" itxtHarvested="0"></CENTER>

Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
SmurfinTruck2011
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a 11 F150 EB about two weeks ago and have about 1100 miles on it (the wife loves my truck so we take it everywhere) and im getting 16.2 avg mpg and i have never reset it. Still breaking in the motor So for you to have such crappy mpg its either an issue with the computer or your getting into those turbos all the time.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfinTruck2011
or your getting into those turbos all the time.
This is exactly what the majority of it is.
JL

Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Since this is a "dislike" thread, I really fricken hate the reverse lights. They suck. Running lights in the morning and night time now it's hard to see when backing.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down My mileage sucks bigtime too!!!

First time poster here, but I have owned my F150 EB since late May. I now have 11.5K miles on it. When I bought it the sticker said ave. 21 mpg. This sticker also listed the truck pkg. I have 3.73 gears. For you guys saying that the mileage figure from EPA was a 4X2 with the 3.15 gears, I beg to differ with you. Their sticker will say maybe 22 or 23 mpg highway. This mileage sticker is suppose to reflect the vehicle you are getting. I have never gotten the mileage even close to 21. I am at 17 to 17.5 @ 65 mph. I can only hope to persuade my dealer to do a reflash. I have not had any issues other than that the mileage plain sucks. I traded a 2010 platinum for the 2011. I had a chipped 5.4 and I could get 21 @ 70 mph with it. The only reason I traded was to get the candy apple red. I had the tuxedo black and really did not like the color. I regret the decision to trade. I also did not realize until much later that I also lost a lot of miles between fill-ups because of the dumb decision by Ford of putting a smaller tank on it.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boones11
3.55 axle ratio
Hwy miles mostly going 60-70 mph
live Phx so flat driving with cruise
No towing, no hauling
Premium gas

We filed a complaint with ford and it is being investigated.
Premium gas has less BTU's per gallon,

ethanol destroy's mileage.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM
thomastl
Senior User
1. Try turning off the trailer sway control. You have to turn it off every time you crank up but it helped with mine. It was dragging the rear brakes even without a trailer hooked up.
2. I have been told that premium will add performance but not help any with fuel economy. Not sure if that is really true but I tried a couple tanks and it never helped with fuel mileage. I went back to regular.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You was drafting off those big rigs!
sorry forgot the quote from page 1.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Originally Posted by thomastl
1. Try turning off the trailer sway control. You have to turn it off every time you crank up but it helped with mine. It was dragging the rear brakes even without a trailer hooked up.
Are you serious? Why would Ford do this? And there is no way to defeat this as the default option upon startup?

How did you come to learn this? And how much difference did it make?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
thomastl
Senior User
Here is my original post.

Just to update and see if someone else can replicate.
Truck: F150, Ecoboost, Supercrew, 5.5 bed, 3.55 gears, 4x4. Departed at 10,000 miles. Returned at 10,900 mile
I headed out on a trip 900 mile trip. When I got on the interstate I hit reset on the mileage indicator. I was getting 14.6mpg at 73mph on flat interstate but it was windy conditions. I started looking thru the options menu and decided to turn off everything I could find. When I turned off trailer sway control all of a sudden it was like the rear brakes released. Mileage started coming up. I hit reset again and I started averaging 19.2 mpg. On one 4 lane section running 55 and 65 mph I averaged 23.1 mpg. I have never seen those kind of number before.
Rest of trip I kept tuning off the trailer sway control every time I cranked up (it defaults to on). On the return trip I got 19.1 for 355 miles of 2 lane, 4 lane, and interstate driving.

Suggestion: for those that are not getting good mileage, try turning off your trailer sway control and see if it makes a difference.

Since then I have been on the interstate and turned it on and off and could not feel any difference. It may have been the wind on that day. But overall I am seeing an increase in mileage with it turned off. So it must have been activating at times when turned on.

And there is no way to default it to off. If you go do some searching around you will find that there were poeple complaining about 2010 trucks (non ecoboost) that were defaulting to off and they were not happy because they had to go turn it on. I guess Ford decided to turn it on all the time. Now look what we get.

And my dad has the same truck in 4x2 version as mine. He was on a trip and conditions were windy. His mileage averaged 15.8 on the interestate that day with it turned on. He normally gets about 20 to 21. He was pissed when I told him to try turning it off. He turns it off whenever he is going to be on the highway now.

Quick Reply: 2011 4x4 supercrew EcoBoost "DISLIKE"