6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen cycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regen cycle

Tried searching, no luck. I was kind of surprised no one has brougt it up.

I'm sure it varies, but does anyone have an idea of how long a DPEF regeneration cycle lasts? The reason I ask is that I've seen the message appear twice now in 1100 miles and each time the doggone thing appear when I'm 60 miles into a 62 mile Interstate drive. (I'd like to think I could let it complete.)

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
And if you thought HPFP failures were scary, read about the failure potential for these: Diesel particulate filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They seem to last around 10 minutes but I dont see them at all if I have a heavy load going long distances.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
You've had more but didn't notice the message.
It only reports for two or three seconds.

I had an active regen last 15 minutes Friday.
The computer turns on the active regeneration process about 30 seconds before the notification message is shown on the info center.
Also, EGT4 (post DPF) reports high temps for another 3-5 minutes after the computer shuts down the active regen process so it is still cleaning soot out.

Heavy load means higher EGT's so the heat allows for "passive" regeneration.
Passive regen starts working around 550 degrees EGT and becomes more efficient the higher the temps are from there.

Yes, the truck seems to learn when you near home or work.
Of course this isn't true but mine does the same annoying thing.
Most of my weekend trips are long enough to clog the filter enough to where it needs to regen once I'm half way to work Monday morning or going into town for lunch that afternoon.
If I could have told the computer to regen on the open highway, both man and machine would be happier.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
There has been lots of discussion on REgen and DEF.

Your truck will perform two types of regeneration. Active, meaning that the computer dumps extra fuel into the exhaust to raise the heat. This will lower your fuel mileage. Passive regens are new to the 6.7L engines. They were not part of the 6.4L engine. Passive regens take place when ever the engine naturally produces higher exhaust temps. So no extra fuel is consumed, Just what is being consumed for the required work.

Active Regen will happen when your soot filter gets to something around 1.75, When it's done cleaning, the number will be 1.00 to 1.10. I have seen passive regens take place when I was towing and climbing grades and they have cleaned the filter down into the .90s.

Average Soccer Dad kind of driving and you will see regens every 100-150 miles. My truck is reporting my average distance between regens at 425 miles. Because I tow a Lot.

Passive regens require higher exhaust temps. That doesn't mean higher RPMs. In fact lower RPMs at a higher work load percentage actually produce higher EGTs because of the reduced airflow through the engine but with higher fuel consumption. Such as the truck grinding up a long grade pulling a trailer.

After 30,000 miles, I pretty much ignor the regens, They happen when they happen. My truck really doesn't run any different during a regen. It's not like you loose power. If a regen doesn't complete before I have to park the truck. So be it, the process will complete the next time I drive.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on driving conditions, I see regen last 5 to 10 miles. Yesterday on the highway traveling 75 mph it lasted about 8 miles, but it didn't start until the soot level reached 2.80 and it cleaned down to about 1.40. It is interesting that Painted Horse mentioned 1.75 as the cleaning threshold as most people say 2.66 and that is for the most part what I see. I have also never seen mine clean down to 1.00 or even 1.10. I'm wondering if it works more on backpressure or maybe even a combination of BP and soot accumulation.

I was having the same issue with regen starting every time I was either 1 mile from home or work. Even after traveling 100 miles the damn thing would still know when I was almost home. I got tired of not knowing what it was thinking so I bought an Edge CTS to monitor the regen process among other things. I still can't control when it regens, but at least now I can plan my travels a little better to facilitate the filter cleaning. As stated previously, the regen cycle always seems to actually start before the you get the dash notice from the truck.

Another interesting fact about the regen is how long the post DPF temp will remain high enough to continue regeneration after the active process has actually stopped. I had a regen last week that started (drum roll please...) a little more than a mile from my destination. Within 15 seconds of placing the truck in Park, active regen quit. However, I noticed that if I kept the rpm up around 1200 the post DPF temp stayed above 1000 for quite some time and the extra rpm seemed to help purge soot as I could watch the soot reading drop on the CTS. If I let it idle the rate of soot decrease slowed down. This process continued for nearly 10 minutes and ultimately dropped the soot level down to around 1.65 which isn't all that far from where my usually stops the active regen anyway. My point is, with a device that can monitor what is going on with regen and various other systems and you will understand the hows and whys of the regen process.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I don't think I've seen below 1.14 soot GPL with mine but I imagine it could go lower if you have an active regen and are towing heavy at the same time.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
952X4
Senior User
Where are you guys seeing the soot level numbers? I don't recall seeing them anywhere on my display, can someone enlighten me please?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
They are using the edge insight cts.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdslider
They are using the edge insight cts.
Yep, it is well worth the money. I'm a bit of a gauge geek myself, but just all the EGT and Regen items make the Edge CTS more than worth it's cost. If they would only add the rest of the available PIDs it would be perfect.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
There has been lots of discussion on REgen and DEF.

Your truck will perform two types of regeneration. Active, meaning that the computer dumps extra fuel into the exhaust to raise the heat. This will lower your fuel mileage. Passive regens are new to the 6.7L engines. They were not part of the 6.4L engine. Passive regens take place when ever the engine naturally produces higher exhaust temps. So no extra fuel is consumed, Just what is being consumed for the required work.

Active Regen will happen when your soot filter gets to something around 1.75, When it's done cleaning, the number will be 1.00 to 1.10. I have seen passive regens take place when I was towing and climbing grades and they have cleaned the filter down into the .90s.

Average Soccer Dad kind of driving and you will see regens every 100-150 miles. My truck is reporting my average distance between regens at 425 miles. Because I tow a Lot.

Passive regens require higher exhaust temps. That doesn't mean higher RPMs. In fact lower RPMs at a higher work load percentage actually produce higher EGTs because of the reduced airflow through the engine but with higher fuel consumption. Such as the truck grinding up a long grade pulling a trailer.

After 30,000 miles, I pretty much ignor the regens, They happen when they happen. My truck really doesn't run any different during a regen. It's not like you loose power. If a regen doesn't complete before I have to park the truck. So be it, the process will complete the next time I drive.
Where are you getting these numbers from? Is there a menu option I've missed somewhere?

On edi: I always open my mouth too soon.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
No problem, The Ford computers track the info, You just need a display that will display what the computers are already tracking.