6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

About that Bosch CP4 on your Ford 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
NinerBikes
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About that Bosch CP4 on your Ford 6.7

I found this tonight while surfing and I thought it might be of interest to those of you that love the injection system of your turbo diesel... and the history.

I found it a good read.

Advanced Diesel Common Rail Systems for Future Emission Legislation

Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like that came from below...what is your point from 2004

EPA is developing this technology along with other diesel emissions control ... 2004 at the 10th Annual Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Conference (DEER) ...

Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Derived from the successful distributor pump VP44". The plot thickens daily!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
So I found while this while searching HPFP failures in Canada. It's a combined US forces fuel test on the Ford 6.7 Scorpion. They use 4 different fuels of varying lubricity to determine the affect of fuels on modern high pressure common rail fueling systems. Page 6 is where the post test analysis begins. This may not be a real world test as they only ran the motors for 220 hours but it was a good read. Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf

Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM
jayman2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Chep
So I found while this while searching HPFP failures in Canada. It's a combined US forces fuel test on the Ford 6.7 Scorpion. They use 4 different fuels of varying lubricity to determine the affect of fuels on modern high pressure common rail fueling systems. Page 6 is where the post test analysis begins. This may not be a real world test as they only ran the motors for 220 hours but it was a good read. Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf
Excellent post Chep! Finally something new that's related to the subject.

Guess its not a bad design after all

Jay

Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Looks like JP8 and SRK work fine but the most power is produced with usld.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM
NinerBikes
Senior User
Originally Posted by jayman2
Excellent post Chep! Finally something new that's related to the subject.

Guess its not a bad design after all

Jay
If you only plan on running your truck for 210 hours. One roller follower shoe had wear at the end of the shoe,with a reference to light burnishing on the cam, versus very light burnishing in the other 3 tests.

In looking at the photo's of the injectors, one or two of them appears to already have an annular ring of rust forming on the injector? Wasn't rust how Rikatics's truck got D'Q'd from warranty coverage by Ford? Just wondering out loud

What would you suggest, Jay, to test this system to the point of failure, for analysis purposes?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 PM
NinerBikes
Senior User
Originally Posted by cirrus365
Looks like JP8 and SRK work fine but the most power is produced with usld.
It's a given when you look at the density of the fuel, and the calories per gallon of fuel, almost 140k cals per gallon of D2. There was even more energy in old D2 at 5000ppm sulfur, before ULSD.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Originally Posted by NinerBikes
It's a given when you look at the density of the fuel, and the calories per gallon of fuel, almost 140k cals per gallon of D2. There was even more energy in old D2 at 5000ppm sulfur, before ULSD.
There was nothing in your article about "old" D2. Where can you buy the "old" D2?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Okay guys, just cleaned things up some. As a reminder personal attacks aren't allowed here on FTE.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
p12483
Senior User
I think what bothers me the most is that not only can I fail catastrophically but you could fix it and100'miles down the road oh sorry sir last fillup was contaminated that will be another 10000 for damage caused by a 500 part.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
That was a good read on the Mil testing. As a retired soldier I can tell you there is alot of questionable fuel that we used to put these things through.

Since I am no longer in the enviroment I cannot speak to the current fuels used but as much as things change they also stay the same.

I don't believe that the components will hold up in real world conditions in third world countries.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM
cirrus365
Elder User
The old deuce and half would run almost any fuel gas diesel or whatever. More recently I know they wanted to have one fuel for everything. Would definitely simplify operations.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
unstuckables
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
That was a good read on the Mil testing. As a retired soldier I can tell you there is alot of questionable fuel that we used to put these things through.

Since I am no longer in the enviroment I cannot speak to the current fuels used but as much as things change they also stay the same.

I don't believe that the components will hold up in real world conditions in third world countries.
I am a pilot in the military and you are spot on with "as much as things change they also stay the same." All I have to say is thank God for the fuel filters on my jet.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 PM
wiedsworld
Junior User
Originally Posted by unstuckables
I am a pilot in the military and you are spot on with "as much as things change they also stay the same." All I have to say is thank God for the fuel filters on my jet.
I was in Air Force POL (petroleum, oils and lubricants) and can state for a fact that any jet fuel getting on a jet at an Air Force base is as good as you can get anywhere. The quality control is second to none! The fuel received into storage tanks is filtered and tested. Then it's pumped onto a fuel delivery vehicle or hydrant hose cart and filtered again as it comes out of the tank and before the vehicle. The vehicles and hose carts are are also sampled. Then the fuel trucks and hose carts filter the fuel again before it hits the jets tanks. That's three filtrations and multiple fuel quality tests. In 23 years no a/c crash where I was stationed was ever attributed to fuel quality. I have personally issued millions of gallons of JP-4, JP-8 and JP-7.

I have also been deployed to bare base ops and the fuel we received was treated exactly as it would be at a stateside base. Just want people to know that if the fuel ever failed a quality test it was isolated and disposed of and all systems cleaned, that goes for ground fuel (DF-1, DF-2, unleaded etc...) as well.

Quick Reply: About that Bosch CP4 on your Ford 6.7