6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DFCM draining

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFCM draining

I started draining the DFCM myself as suggested on the forum (and the manual). My question is how much fluid are you guys getting when draining? Looks to be all diesel, but a lot more than I was expecting. I got about 32 oz. from the draining...I think it was done.

I apologize for the repeat post, as I'm sure it's been covered before...just couldn't find it if so.

I appreciate the input.

Mark

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey Mark. You only need to pull a couple of ounces. Put it into a clear container and supposedly it's easy to see the water. I've never seen a drop yet.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Great thanks. It did feel like I was sitting there draining the tank...and apparently I was on my way!! Oh well, lesson learned.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Water would be the 1st thing out since water is the heaviest. Epic is correct it doesn't need but a few ounces. put a lid on clean glass jar and let it sit undisturbed about 2 hours,if there is water you will see it in bottom of the jar.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 AM
smallcandle
Junior User
Seems like I remember my manual stating to drain the valve for 25 seconds. Seems excessive to me.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Yeah, based on my experience yesterday, 25 secs is about 12 oz worth! Haha! For some reason I was thinking the DFCM was closed off when the vehicle wasn't running, and I was supposed to completely drain it. It's my first diesel, so learning all I can...I really appreciate all the insight given on the forum!! Need to get me a mason jar or two.

Mark

Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

It stops leaking at about 1/2 a gal.......done it.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a full tank it will siphon from the tank and keep on draining.

I tested that when I was changing the fuel filter. Opened up the valve and let it run. I got well over a gallon and it wasn't slowing down one bit.

If you turn the bowl out 3 full turns, the siphoning stops. That was posted here somewhere from a shop manual; it doesn't say this in the Owner's Manual Diesel Supplement as far as I can tell.

I tested that as well and it works. Draining stopped shortly after that.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by AlexWV

I tested that when I was changing the fuel filter. Opened up the valve and let it run. I got well over a gallon and it wasn't slowing down one bit.

If you turn the bowl out 3 full turns, the siphoning stops. That was posted here somewhere from a shop manual; it doesn't say this in the Owner's Manual Diesel Supplement as far as I can tell.

Good to know !
I am getting ready to do my first filter/seperator change and I need to drain it completely.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, same here during first fuel filter change.
I gave up after awhile and removed the bowl full of fuel.
Lost at least a gallon of fuel with that experiment.
Then Epic comes along and reports to turn the bowl 3 1/2 turns to trip a sensor.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Then Epic comes along and reports to turn the bowl 3 1/2 turns to trip a sensor.
Yes, but that was only AFTER doing the same thing you guys did. I drained about 10 minutes worth and decided to just close the valve and take off the bowl. That's when I dumped a good amount of fuel on the floor and camera. The bowl of course was completely full. I can't remember who it was who said to unscrew the bowl three turns but I was happy to append to the video with that little tid bit.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How often should we drain the DFCM and change filter?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by AMEC Electric LLC

Well by the looks of that thread about Rick's truck I'd say about once a week.............
jr

Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by AMEC Electric LLC
------

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 4:
The DFCM should be drained at regular intervals or when indicated by the message center message and water in fuel indicator light.

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 38:
Water should be drained from the module assembly whenever the warning light comes on and the message center directs you to drain the water separator. This will occur when approximately 0.32 pints (150 ml) of water accumulates in the module. If water level is allowed to exceed this level, the water may be passed through to the engine and may cause fuel injection equipment damage.

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 71:
Maximum Fuel Filter Change Interval:
❑ Normal schedule: 22,500 miles (36,000 km) or as indicated by the message center (whichever comes first)
❑ Special operating conditions: 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 600 engine hours; see appropriate schedule Scheduled Maintenance Guide

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 72:
Check Every Month
❑ Fuel filter/water separator; drain if necessary

------

Personally I'm on the drain and check for water once a month plan and sometimes even more often than once per month since it is dead simple. I use a small glass mason jar which is about 20 oz maybe (clean and dry) and drain for 25 seconds like it says in the book.

If no water, I put the fuel back in the tank which as been the case every single time so far.

I've decided on 15,000 miles change schedule and just did it the other weekend for first time.

Also, you sort of have to laugh at some of this. Like "drain if necessary". How are you supposed to know if you should drain if necessary without draining it? Maybe that means wait for the light, but on page 4 it says check on regular interval. And round and round you go.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
------

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 4:
The DFCM should be drained at regular intervals or when indicated by the message center message and water in fuel indicator light.

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 38:
Water should be drained from the module assembly whenever the warning light comes on and the message center directs you to drain the water separator. This will occur when approximately 0.32 pints (150 ml) of water accumulates in the module. If water level is allowed to exceed this level, the water may be passed through to the engine and may cause fuel injection equipment damage.

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 71:
Maximum Fuel Filter Change Interval:
❑ Normal schedule: 22,500 miles (36,000 km) or as indicated by the message center (whichever comes first)
❑ Special operating conditions: 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 600 engine hours; see appropriate schedule Scheduled Maintenance Guide

This is from the Diesel Supplement, 5th Printing, Page 72:
Check Every Month
❑ Fuel filter/water separator; drain if necessary

------

Personally I'm on the drain and check for water once a month plan and sometimes even more often than once per month since it is dead simple. I use a small glass mason jar which is about 20 oz maybe (clean and dry) and drain for 25 seconds like it says in the book.

If no water, I put the fuel back in the tank which as been the case every single time so far.

I've decided on 15,000 miles change schedule and just did it the other weekend for first time.

Also, you sort of have to laugh at some of this. Like "drain if necessary". How are you supposed to know if you should drain if necessary without draining it? Maybe that means wait for the light, but on page 4 it says check on regular interval. And round and round you go.
I checked out the manual after posting and agree...wth!

Quick Reply: DFCM draining