6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
DevotedDad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome solution! Thanks for sharing.

DD

Originally Posted by Docindahouze
not sure if it may already have been done by someone, but if you are using the old hardware on the front shocks like sarge did in his video then I figured out a way to remove the nut from the top washer without a hammer and chisel. I dont have the best of tools so i had to improvise a little and come up with a way. I used a pitman arm puller, c-clamp, and a couple of small socket wrench bits. It came off real clean like this.

here's some pics:

Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Air-Tex
New User
Originally Posted by WK15
Ok,

I just ordered:

1 - [CS-FHMS-08] Carli 08+ Ford High Mount Steering
2 - [24-186025] Bilstein 0-1" lift rear 5100 shock absorber Ford F250/F350 4WD
2 - [24-186018] Bilstein 0-2" lift front 5100 shock absorber Ford F250/F350 4WD

I can't wait to get these items to start the suspension change out.

Shipping to Alaska is a pain in the wallet.

Thanks for posting this all in one place!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 AM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Subscribing to this for later

Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
still woobling

Ok is been since may 2012 that I put all Bilsteen product 5100 schocks plus steering stabilizitor it was perfect since last nignt I was on the highway then e bump then,bang,,,,, woooooobling, chaaaaking is coming as it was before ????
WOW....I NEED A ANSWER.... MAYBE I SHOULD PUT 2 STABILIZATORS on the direction DID SOMEBODY DO SO? I CALL the FORD DEALER and toll him all the stuff that I put and done and ask him if he have some new specification on that F 350 DUALLY 2011 ,he is suppose to call me back ,i m still on the warranty programe but i don't want the same crapi parts,,,,, it been 3 times he change the same parts and so...and...so wow.....hello FORD????

I have to wait to him.....I saw on YouTube that guy who put 2 RANCHO stabilizators on the front end, is that the solution FOR A LONG TERM?
IM OPEN TO ALL SOLUTION TANK IN ADVANCE.....

Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by dualli f 350 Quebec
Ok is been since may 2012 that I put all Bilsteen product 5100 schocks plus steering stabilizitor it was perfect since last nignt I was on the highway then e bump then,bang,,,,, woooooobling, chaaaaking is coming as it was before ????
WOW....I NEED A ANSWER.... MAYBE I SHOULD PUT 2 STABILIZATORS on the direction DID SOMEBODY DO SO? I CALL the FORD DEALER and toll him all the stuff that I put and done and ask him if he have some new specification on that F 350 DUALLY 2011 ,he is suppose to call me back ,i m still on the warranty programe but i don't want the same crapi parts,,,,, it been 3 times he change the same parts and so...and...so wow.....hello FORD????

I have to wait to him.....I saw on YouTube that guy who put 2 RANCHO stabilizators on the front end, is that the solution FOR A LONG TERM?
Please don't drink and write!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
DevotedDad
Junior User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Seriously!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by dualli f 350 Quebec
WOW....I NEED A ANSWER.... MAYBE I SHOULD PUT 2 STABILIZATORS on the God Dam direction DID SOMEBODY DO SO? I CALL the FORD DEALER and toll him all the stuff that I put and done and ask him if he have some new specification on that F 350 DUALLY 2011 ,he is suppose to call me back ,i m still on the warranty programe but i don't want the same crapi parts,,,,, it been 3 times he change the same parts and so...and...so wow.....hello FORD????

Hi dualli f 350 Quebec,

From what I understand, you are experiencing issues with your stabilizer. If not, please clarify your concern for me to better understand.

Please send me a private message with your VIN, kilometres, full name, daytime phone number, and dealer. Also, I see that you live in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu; if you'd like to communicate in French with me, I am a native French speaker. It might be easier for us.

Bianca

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
EDIT: Double post; my apology.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Big Sarge, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to make this video. It was a tremendous help to say the least. I actually installed them this afternoon, in my buddy's shop. Being cold, snowy, and me having a bionic back, I was able to use his lift which made the job much easier.

I found removing the top bolt and bushings from the top front shocks a lot easier to use an extension on my impact wrench and go through the engine compartment. However, I reached through the wheel well, with the wheel turned, in order to torque them down.

I did not have the Rancho's but the Grey or Black Ford OEM Shocks. And one in the front and both rears were shot after 31K! Nice to know Ford installs this type of product on a heavy duty truck, right!

I also did the steering damper. That was another joke when I took it off! I replaced them with the Bilstein 5100's. I had these on my previous half ton, and I loved them. Needless to say I still do. As soon as I drove off the apron, I could feel the difference! As I drove, it was a night and day difference in the shocks. I did not get any wheel hop, and the steering was much more firmer when traveling over significant bumps. Was not getting any movement in the wheel over bumps either.

Also, I used the hardware and bushings supplied with the 5100's. The OEM Bushings were too out of shape and tearing to re use. The install was without incident as well. Very easy. The entire job took about an hour with the lift, and taking my time. I am very happy with them. Very good investment. Especially if you plan on towing anything. Be well!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 AM
Jeffhay
New User
I just installed 5100s largely because of Big-Sarge and this thread. At 24,000 miles, my FX4 “Ranchos” were not Good To Go. They were gone. Easily compressed, no rebound. The Bilsteins take quite a bit of effort to compress and they rise right back quickly. This causes some wrestling with them during install, but nothing too tough.

I don’t know if I had the Death Wobble or not but my handling characteristics with the stock shocks were not acceptable, or in my opinion, even safe. My main reason for replacing them was the drift on the highway and the white knuckling when hitting any bumps. It felt almost out of control before doing this upgrade. The truck felt skittery and floaty, and I felt like a bobble head while driving it. I also have a good 1.5” of play/dead zone in the steering wheel. The dealer said the stock shocks and stabilizer were good and this is normal and there was nothing they would do. They said it might be the tires (Michelin LTX MS2 275/70-18, 70 psi) that are squirmy. That seems unlikely to me, given the severity of the effect. I felt unsafe and really didn’t want more “Ranchos” even if they were to offer them under warranty. You guys convinced me to try the Bilsteins.

I planned 3 hours to install them and it only took me about an hour and a half, 5 minutes of which was applying the sticker to my rear window. I didn’t jack the truck or remove any wheels, just turned the fronts ones. I used the Bilstein bushings as mine were sort of ovaled out and cracked. The new ones fit fine and fill the hole in the frame mount once they’re smooshed down. The bolts seemed pretty over torqued from Ford but I got them to 34 lbs with a torque wrench for all but the tops of the fronts. Those I just did by feel. I was careful not to cam out the hex nut at the top as one of the other guys said he did.

The truck rides real nice now, for the latest 50 miles or so. It feels firmer and more planted and a lot more under control when going over bumps. Someone a few pages back likened it to an M3 more than a Buick Lacrosse type ride. I can see that. It still feels very much like a one ton truck, but little bumps are ignored and large ones are not jarring like they were with the stock shocks. You get plenty of road feel but the handling has increased pretty dramatically. Its just not punishing anymore. A $60k truck should ride like this right off the lot. I wish I did it 20k miles ago.

I think I will do the steering stabilizer. Someone had said with stock tires that the stock stabilizer is adequate. I have to turn the wheel a good inch before anything happens. At least now with just the new shocks, the turn in feels more immediate and I don’t have to wait for the outside wheel to load up before the truck turns. It holds the line with less effort. I hope that the Bilstein stabilizer will tighten this up some more.

Thanks again Mike/Big-Sarge and the rest of you folks for the info and advic

Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
If you put a stabilizator put a pro-comp with 2 shock or one like sarge ,and that will be it....for ever....

have a nice day

Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
tank BIANCA
Do you went to give me a credit or refound...loL or you went to discredit my dealer,who the only thing he can do is put crapi parts....lol

Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bianca,

Thank you for your being here and offering assistance to those who need it. We the majority of the forum members greatly appreciate you and Ford for your SUPPORT along the road of Ownership of our trucks.

There will always be those who do not understand a true offer of assistance, least of all how to react to such customer support, please understand they are the exception.

Again,
Thank you,
Jon

Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Kind of seems as though there may have been a few adult beverages involved before the reply was posted.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
x2 agree

The content is funny though

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!