Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

79 F-150 Stepside Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Man, I couldn't have a bed like that because I would feel like I was setting something on a freshly painted hood putting it in there! Looks amazing though!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of pics of the bed now on the truck. You will notice that the truck is in a different position. Terrorized the neighborhood today, drove it down the road. Don't believe the alternator or power sterring pump is working but this is the first time it moved under its own power since May 2011. Small transmission leak appears to be coming from the dipstick, something to work on tomorrow. Thunder storms been rolling through all day, just neough time to get the steps mounted this morning. Will need to "adjust" the step bracket on the passenger side as I don't like the tilt in it right now.

Got the braces back on both sides, other than wiring the tail lights the bed is complete.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Not the best shots down the side, will get some better tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass

Got the seat back from Parish Upholstery in Glen Allen VA. Got the mufflers and catalynic converters from Flowmaster. Looking to have the exhaust on next week.

Had big problems with right front brake caliper leaking, not sure what I did wrong but went through several sets of crush washers and a couple of banjo bolts. Finally got the leak to stop but banjo bolt is torqued down much further than recommended.

Have to figure out what is needed to get the rear tail lights to work. Lots of paint on the bed and the epoxy paint on the frame and no ground from bed to frame.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 PM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
REALLY coming along together nice! Love the truck.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, looks great! Nice touch on the seat!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
In working to get the tailights hooked up yesterday found that in some time over the last few months I must have shorted out the transmission neutral safety switch for power to the tailights. Fuse was blown and I cannot get any conductivity through the switch regardless of position. It does still work for starting in Park/Neutral but no backup lights.

Believe we fixed the leak coming out of the transmission dipstick hole and appears that we got the air out of the steering box system as it turned much easier when we moved it yesterday.

Left to do before we have it legal on the road:
Taillights
Exhaust
Front end aligned
Inspected
Repair whatever is needed to pass inspection
Plates

Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ironman540, your project looks fantastic. Love to see a video of that bad boy or at least some more pictures.

Do you think you could post up some pictures of your speaker box installed? Just curious how it fits... I might like to copy that idea. Thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Sorry, didn't read until today. Took the truck to the shop to get exhaust put on it this morning. Will get some more photos of the speaker box when I pick it up and have the seat bolted down. Thanks guys.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
This is the best shot I have of the speaker box. Seat is not bolted down and not sure of what position it is in, but sitting in the truck with the seat in place felt comfortable, 6' 4" so think it is all the way back. Will get some more pics when back from the shop and the seat is bolted down.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ironman540
In working to get the tailights hooked up yesterday found that in some time over the last few months I must have shorted out the transmission neutral safety switch for power to the tailights. Fuse was blown and I cannot get any conductivity through the switch regardless of position. It does still work for starting in Park/Neutral but no backup lights.

Believe we fixed the leak coming out of the transmission dipstick hole and appears that we got the air out of the steering box system as it turned much easier when we moved it yesterday.

Left to do before we have it legal on the road:
Taillights
Exhaust
Front end aligned
Inspected
Repair whatever is needed to pass inspection
Plates

Off the list is tailights, exhaust, front end alignment, plates. Need to pass inspection, hopefully this week.

Have not posted how much trouble I have had with the charging system. Spent the last couple of weekends replacing alternators, voltage regulators but never getting the system to charge. Finally today make a ground harness for the system, connecting the alternator, voltage regulator directly to the negative side of the battery, no help!! Jumped the F side of the voltage regulator to the A side and showed 14.5 volts so went and got ANOTHER voltage regulator, didn't help. Finally after scouring the internet decided I would try putting 12 volts to the I side of the VR. All of the sudden getting 14.5 volts to the battery post side of the starter solenoid. Spliced into the automatic choke which is coming from the ignition side of the fuse block and everything seems to be working, original ammeter in the instrument cluster and extra voltage gauge we installed. Long, Long day worried I would short the entire system out at some point.

At some point with the rear light wires hinging out of the truck I not only blew the back-up light fuse but must have shorted out the neutral safety switch. Replaced it also this weekend and have the tail lights working, park lights, brake and blinkers along with the reverse lights.

Due to the new windshield put the rear view mirror in today also which is needed for inspection. Should be ready to take and see if it will pass this week.

No pics but figured I needed an update as it has been awhile. Once installe the seat and carpet will post some pics. Also if it passes inspection will post a pic of that as it is the most important next step we need.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Well failed inspection, power steering issues (coming and going)and brake light staying on. New switch for proportioning valve coming and looking to rebuild the steering gearbox. Had I known about the brake light could have made that one not be an issue. Not bad for first shot at state inspection after being completely dismantled over the last couple of years. Have posted lots of close shots of the truck but adding a couple that show the stance of the truck and the exhaust which we decided to run straight out the back.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Lil Wink
Freshman User
Taking the girls to play softball this past weekend and got to see your truck. Thing of beauty for sure!
Didn't like the detour, but loved the truck.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Thanks to all that have viewed. Lots of work and time, but as I stated in the very beginning this is 20 years in the making.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
[quote=ironman540;10953701]have to make a call tomorrow to BDS suspension. no instructions for rear lift and not sure whether to reuse the factory blocks, if so the ubolts supplied aren't long enough. everything that was loose is now bolted on, will be idle for a little while on the frame until front axle and engine and repaired. gotta say really happy with it so far.

Going back an adding pics

Quick Reply: 79 F-150 Stepside Restoration