6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Drum roll please...and the loser is...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
Think about it this way... It's not so much what the failure rate is, or even what the specific failure was. It's that Ford weaseled on the warranty. That is the issue. And to the inevitable ones who will say they won't buy another diesel because of this, gassers fail occasionally as well, and if Ford will weasel on a diesel failure, they'll weasel on a gasser failure as well.
Very true, I bought the first year V10 and I heard a lot from other V10's and the 5.4 V8, basically whatever was a "Triton" engine, had a LOT of piston slap issues. Fortunately I didn't.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
I would also like to know the reported number of failures, let's just say 40 HPFP's have failed in the past 2 years. If you use the figure of 400,000 units sold, that would equate to 1 in 10,000 pumps failed for one reason or another. I would not consider this ratio a concern, even thought I would be just as disappointed as Rick. I know you can't compare radiators to $10,000 fuel systems, but Ford along with many owners of the 6.4 trucks out of warranty have replaced countless thousands of leaking radiators and ford still never made a manufacturing revision on it.
I respectfully submit that it's not about the numbers. 1) If it's that few then Ford should be replacing them, right? 2) If this was your truck you wouldn't feel this way, right?

I also submit that a bad radiator compared to an almost $10,000 repair is not even in the same world.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heck of a good read. My exception would be that once it was fixed, I would drive it through the bad dealers showroom floor! Sorry for your pain and hope your future vehicles are problem free.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
David N.
Senior User
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
Absolutely, and it should give pause to anyone who's considering buying any new or used Ford which is still under warranty.

If this is the way they're going to play the game, then I think I'll just get an old truck and keep fixin' her up. The old ones don't have all this expensive, hard to troubleshoot emissions crap on them anyway and I live in an area where it matters, my diesels get annual inspections. After all, for $60K, I can have a pretty nice ol' fixerupper.
It seems like a fair number of people get rid of their diesels just before the warranty runs out. Now that Ford has shown that the warranty is worthless, where does that leave them?

Wish I could say I was surprised, but it seemed pretty certain to me that this would be the outcome as soon as Ford resisted reviewing the situation as requested by the second dealer. I can't help but think someone pretty high up at Ford is sweating bullets due to fear that this is the beginning of a larger problem (whether or not it is). My gut feeling is that this is Ford's last chance with a diesel for a lot of customers, including many fleets. Dodge appears to have made quite a bit of progress in the chassis cab market already, and I think any significant issues with Ford's 6.7 (even if they do warranty them) could end Ford's dominance there.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rickatic, Can you give us the name of the first dealer you went to? Sorry to hear about your troubles with Ford, I hope everything works out for you.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
This really sucks Rick!

I was one of those folks that you helped push me over the top on purchasing a new 2011. I don't ever regret the advice you gave me and you have come to be a great friend! It saddens me deeply to see one of the biggest Ford drummers on FTE get the low viscosity cam shaft up your exhaust pipe from Ford.

This just sucks all the way around.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Rick. a rotten outcome for sure.Being a retired ford technician,i certantly dont understand there logic.as a simple goodwill would have resolved all the negativity.This one incident will cost them dearly and already has put a foul taste in alot of mouths.
As some know i had a 2011 buyback,but was forced into another one.So far this one has been great. But i certantly dont have a warm fuzzy feel any longer.Not really certain i want to wait for the 10,000 dollar time bomb to go off. And this comes from a man who has drove fords over 40 years.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
I respectfully submit that it's not about the numbers. 1) If it's that few then Ford should be replacing them, right? 2) If this was your truck you wouldn't feel this way, right?

I also submit that a bad radiator compared to an almost $10,000 repair is not even in the same world.

I think I did mention the cost comparison between a radiator and a fuel system, Didn't I? As far a feelings if I had to pay for this repair has nothing to do with what manufactures consider a quality concern. To answer your 1st. question, I have no knowledge of the number of pump failures, but Ford established guide lines for where the fault lies and in most cases they have the final decision. Yes if it were my truck I would be very pissed, but do you think Rick is the 1st. or last person to be screw over by any manufacture? A year or so ago there was a Duramax owner on the forums that went through the same run around with GM for a whole year and lost. In his case it was a engine replacement.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Benoit1967
Senior User
It definately suck... sorry to hear!

As a new F350 6.7l owner and being my first diesel ever, I will go get the manual and start reading.

Where is that water filter thing? How often does one have to empty it? I only have 2400km (1400 miles) on it.

And what about the diesel additives? Can one of you elaborate?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow...not what I expected.
As an owner of this 6.7L, I feel like I've been shot in the foot.
I can't imagine how Rick feels today other than how I felt with my cheaper, never ending problems 2002 Ford Explorer.

At least I can now arm myself with knowledge and be ready for the fight when it is my turn.
I still like my Ford and I don't have plans to get rid of my 6.7L (it's working for now) but reality is showing that I need to be ready for an early headache.
All hardware fails eventually, we know this, but it sounds like this fuel system will potentially be an issue as more miles are put on these trucks.
Ie.: early failures are not "normal" failures.
I expected to pay for something like this at 250,000.

BETA testing is free, or all the software I've beta tested has been.
IDK what we are, we paid hard earned cash for the unknown.
We said it was a risk but really, it shouldn't be a risk.
Ford said they did lots of testing in the USA.
An example I give, crappy/buggy software products are released all the time but that shouldn't be, if we really think about it.
We tolerate it though because we need it and buy it anyways.

I hope this case makes it to Mr. Alan Mulally.
Mr. Mulally, you need to review this information.
The dealer notes, field manager notes, Rick's talks and these forum postings.
If these pumps start failing more often, work with the fuel companies and offer a better pump in the future because it sounds like we're a lost cause.

Ford, I don't care for GM's products.
Please don't convince myself (and others who feel this way) to choose another product if/when our time comes for this mess and it certainly doesn't have to be a mess.

I have always been told a business is nothing without reasonable customers.
Here you have an honest, hard working, reasonable American customer and you've failed him.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Rick,

Sorry to read about your troubles and the denied warranty claim for your 2011 truck. I know it initially began with a bad diagnosis from a dealer, but its ultimately up to Ford to make the final decision. You have definately been one of Fords biggest supporters of the new 6.7 diesel. I remember many of my posts where I questioned the new 6.7 when I had my 6.4 and you stood by Ford and the new product faithfully. I salute you for this.

As far as Ford is concerned, I'm not shocked at all of their final decision. Ford has been denying HPFP warranty claims for years with the 6.4 and it appears that they have taken the same stance with the 6.7. They always claim that contaminated/bad fuel/ water in fuel has caused these failures and placed the responsibility on the owner to cover the repair bill. In all cases of failed HPFP and fuel systems I've heard of, not a single owner had the WIF indicator light come on during or before the failure, ever. These owners stated that they followed the regular fuel/water separator drainage intervals and never saw water come of it. But when the fuel system failure occurred their warranty claim was denied because of water in the fuel. This is completely unacceptable.

I no longer trusted my 6.4 so I went back to the gas engine, also I didnt want to deal with the repair costs when the warranty expired. I completely trust my V10 I currently have and would drive it to California right now without reservation, which is a good feeling.

Good luck to you sir with your 2011 6.7 until you receive your new 2013 Duramax. If I were in need of a diesel a this time that Inline 6 cylinder cummins would look more appealing by the day.

Again, I'm sorry you have experienced the crap Ford has been dishing out as far as denying legitimate expensive HPFP warranty claims with their diesel engines.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
It certainly appears to me that a market opportunity has availed itself. If it turns out these pumps really are crap, some enterprising aftermarket manufacturer will turn a nice profit.
I'd not look to Ford to fix this anytime soon, I still remember all too well the cam position sensor issues and that was a cheap part.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Well...certainly not the end game any of us were hoping for. I intend to write letters to several division heads of Ford and ask them what they intend to do to clarify how the consumer is supposed to determine what is good fuel and what isn't. They can't simply state that we're on the hook and then not offer any way to determine what's what. Furthermore, if fuel quality is such a concern, Ford should be required to disclose to potential customers how much of an issue this is (potential failures and non-warranty coverage)

They can't have it both ways.

I'm really sorry about this, Rick. I like my truck, but I cannot recommend this truck to anyone in the future. This was my second new car in 47 years...both were Ford trucks. I don't see myself buying another Ford after this. It's just too much risk when there are so many other alternatives out there.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM
burgf250
Junior User
Well I guarantee Ford just lost that amount of warranty claim in profit on a new 2012 F350 CC 6.7 as I was strongly considering upgrading my 2008 F350 CC V10. I certainly would like to have the power of the 6.7, but the potential for such expensive unforseeable and possible uncontrollable HPFP problems combined with Fords poor customer service is a major concern.

I have had no problems with my V10 except for the known poor towing mileage, but potential repair costs like this make me stay were I am.

It is amazing how short sighted companies are these days and how much they don't look at the ripple effect their decisions have on future business.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I wish there were a way to show this thread to the right Ford executive. Might open their eyes a little bit

Quick Reply: Drum roll please...and the loser is...