1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'49 F1 Family Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I like the satin black. Your truck will look much nicer all one color.
Yes, it will definitely be better when it's all one color. I know the satin black look has been done to death, but I don't like primer gray and I HATE rust brown primer, so I'll join the satin black fad out of necessity.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Can anyone ID these parts that came with my truck? This rear view mirror and visors were previously installed, but don't look stock, although they are Ford parts.

These letters are obviously Ford parts, but I don't know what year/model they are from. They all start with part #C5NN:

I have no idea what this bracket is and the green part appear to be a fuse holder from the dash. Any ideas?

I think this one is the original rear view mirror:

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Can anyone ID these parts that came with my truck? This rear view mirror and visors were previously installed, but don't look stock, although they are Ford parts.

These letters are obviously Ford parts, but I don't know what year/model they are from. They all start with part #C5NN:

The above items appear to be from a later model Ford vehicle.

I have no idea what this bracket is and the green part appear to be a fuse holder from the dash. Any ideas?

I don't believe that the above parts belong to the truck. May have been installed by the PO.

I think this one is the original rear view mirror:

Yes, that is the stock/original mirror.

Thanks for any help!
See my responses in red above.

The FORD letters go on the exterior of the hood latch panel. You should have two holes for each letter. They may be filled in by the PO if missing on the panel.

Here's the panel with the original FORD letters. The letters are available in reproduction. They are the same for 48-50 and 52 model years. They were eliminated in the 51 model year.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
chriscris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could use these for my 1969 Ford tractor. They actually fit a 1959 Ford truck, but were also used on the 4500 tractor.
Maybe I could trade you something?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by chriscris
I could use these for my 1969 Ford tractor. They actually fit a 1959 Ford truck, but were also used on the 4500 tractor.
Maybe I could trade you something?
Chris,
I'd love to do some trading. I will have to see what parts I need and then I'll let you know.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
jimprowse
Junior User
Spare parts

Ford uses a very simple parts number system , or did , back in the day , the prefix relates to the year of production/intro ,and model line ,, the "main" number is the basic number of that part , ir-regardless of model useage , and the suffix number "usually" relates to engineering changes ,model use etc, but can be left/right, "B" relates to the 50's , "C" relates to the 60's , "D" relates 70's , , so a C5ZZ 8200 A,

C =60'S 5 year of use/intro, ZZ Mustang model

8200 grille basic # ,,,, A , std model ,

Looks like some of your parts are later model use ,, the fuse-holder looks more like a courtesy lite bulb holder , hope this helps , have a dandy day ,,, Jim P ...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Well, the Merc flat head is gone! A nice guy with a '49 Merc is going to drop it in his car, so it will be back where it belongs.

I got the front end pressure washed. Now I get to start scraping, sanding and painting. Tomorrow I should be picking up a the running gear from a '52 F1.

We are very excited!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Can you please take some close up pictures from top, bottom and sides of the pan underneath the frame rails in the front? I have one, but can't figure out how it mounts in the 51. I believe that you'll need to remove it for the 52.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Your just cruizin along Jeff! Looking good! I give it a 2 thumbs up!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Can you please take some close up pictures from top, bottom and sides of the pan underneath the frame rails in the front? I have one, but can't figure out how it mounts in the 51. I believe that you'll need to remove it for the 52.
You bet, Ilya. Hopefully these will give you what you need:

If those don't work let me know. If they are too small I can email the larger pics to you.

Originally Posted by SCRAPHEAP51
Your just cruizin along Jeff! Looking good! I give it a 2 thumbs up!
Thanks, Ron. We are moving right along. I have a feeling things will slow down once I get the '52 engine and running gear. Right now I have no radiator because the old one was for the flathead, so it went away. Oh well, I will have lots of cleaning, painting and detail work, which is my favorite part of a resto.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Jeff, those pictures are perfect! Thanks.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

52 F1 Ford front frame

Jeff,
Someone cut the front frame hornes off of my 53 before I got it. I'm going to have to build some to mount a stock bumper. Could you take some picts of the mounts on your frame.
Here is mine:
http://www.billstractor.com/front52.jpg
Thanks,
Bill
tractorman@billstractor.com

Old 10-16-2011, 02:29 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Make sure to get the front engine mounts from the frame of the 52.
Well, I just got back from picking up the running gear from the '52.

Ilya, do you have a pic of the 6 cylinder mounts? The guy I got the parts from had cut the front of the frame off to sub frame it. I don't think I got the mounts with the engine.

Originally Posted by tractormanbill
Jeff,
Someone cut the front frame horns off of my 53 before I got it. I'm going to have to build some to mount a stock bumper. Could you take some picts of the mounts on your frame.
Bill, I will do that. I don't know if my '49 frame is the same as your '53, but I will get you the pics.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 AM
jimprowse
Junior User
53 frame is not the same as 48/52 , much the same/identical 53-56 ,,, you might try Bobco , or similar for a used set,,, off a junked out frame , be way easier than fabricating them , just a thought ,, jim p ...

Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Well, I just got back from picking up the running gear from the '52.

Ilya, do you have a pic of the 6 cylinder mounts? The guy I got the parts from had cut the front of the frame off to sub frame it. I don't think I got the mounts with the engine.
You're in luck because the engine is out in my 52. I'll get you the pictures a bit later in the day.

Quick Reply: '49 F1 Family Project