Sponsored by: Moser

My 73 F 250 4X4 semi build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
I actually tried him. I have emailed him twice, no reply either time. I just figured he did not want my business. I'll find some eventually...
They're sold out of them at the moment, but there's also Boyce Equipment in Utah:

Boyce Equipment Axles and Military Parts

Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by socal73
What's the advantage to switching to dual diaphragm?
Increased braking power. It makes the foot feed back feel more like "power" brakes (mine always felt kind of manual). Just so you know, though, both my trucks with dual diaphragms reduced the pedal travel. Some people might not like that-I didn't mind.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the booster on tonight. Wow what a difference! I probably shouldn't have been driving it before. Lol. I'll post pics tomorrow. Tonight I took a before picture of the interior gonna try and tackle some of that tomorrow after I go shooting in the morning. Woohoo!

Also. Has anyone made a custom grill for our trucks? I want to do something different and was thinking if making a single grill in my new grill frame instead of two sides. I was going to make it a billet style and make my own housing for the headlights.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 PM
bdevr
Senior User
Got the booster on tonight. Wow what a difference! I probably shouldn't have been driving it before. Lol. I'll post pics tomorrow. Tonight I took a before picture of the interior gonna try and tackle some of that tomorrow after I go shooting in the morning. Woohoo!

Also. Has anyone made a custom grill for our trucks? I want to do something different and was thinking if making a single grill in my new grill frame instead of two sides. I was going to make it a billet style and make my own housing for the headlights.
I've been toying with the idea of doing something like the new raptor grill. Those are just sexy

Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Got the booster on tonight. Wow what a difference! I probably shouldn't have been driving it before. Lol.
A working booster is a nice addition, especially when you're driving around in a nearly 3 ton truck with 4 wheel drum brakes and 37's.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
A working booster is a nice addition, especially when you're driving around in a nearly 3 ton truck with 4 wheel drum brakes and 37's.
Lol ya night and day difference! It drove great today and only died twice and both times it was because the first in line fuel filter (the glass one I posted pics of) was clogged full of rust! I emptied it out both times and I'm sure the bumpy rocky road didn't help. Is there anything else I can do to help the rust or just continue to clean filters until it has all come out?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is there anything else I can do to help the rust or just continue to clean filters until it has all come out?
Most radiator shops will boil your tank out for fairly cheap.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Did you end up doing a single or dual diaphragm booster?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Did you end up doing a single or dual diaphragm booster?
Just replaced it with a stock one so single. It works great now that its not just my foot. I topped off the brake fluid too which I'm sure was part of it.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Ok picture time, I didn't get much done as the booster took longer than I thought and I ran out of daylight, but here are the few I did snap.

The red truck is my father in law's 65 2WD shortbed. It has a 460 out of a 70's something continental and a T18. He did a bunch of rust removal as it came from Colorado and the road salt hadn't been too kind. He's helping me do body work right now if he gets bored enough.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:34 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User

This is the new booster installed. I would have liked to have painted it black first but I didn't have time. Install was actually easier than removal since the old nuts were rusted in pretty good. Valve cover gaskets got here and I got Ford Racing Blue high heat paint so I think those will be next. I have to figure out the fuel filter/rust issue as well since stalling from fuel starvation every 20 miles or so isn't really that much fun...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
the interior is on my to do list. I took some before pictures. There isn't that much damage as it's just old and dirty. When I bought it the guy cleaned out a bunch of trash that had accumulated in it. The only damage is to the seat back where the sun has eaten it. The dash mat is in great shape just dusty. I have a seat cover and some carpet to put in and I ordered some door panels from LMC, I also got new window regulators and dooor handles from Rockauto.com The window seals are in decent shape so I won't do those right away.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User

My wife said I should post this since it's my daily driver, but mostly because she took the picture and is very proud of it.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
gas4blood
Freshman User
Cool truck man! I really like these 4x4's. Would love to find a 73-79 someday.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like a fun DD!

Quick Reply: My 73 F 250 4X4 semi build thread...