1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Get an F-250 with V-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy
It's not okay for age, sadly although its a 2007, it went into service in Aug of 2006 making it a month out of warranty.
Man thats too bad you just missed it. I was hoping for your sake your 07' had a later build date. At least you'll have a nice truck with an engine warrenty even if it cost you an arm and leg for it.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not sure if any manufacturer is better than any other. Some people swear by Fords, others Chevy or Dodge. All have their problems (and the 6.0 had plenty but some never had problems). Shake-n-Bake is giving you some good info to look into....although hard to prove it was the fault of a repair. Also if it's out of warranty I'm not sure Ford is obligated to do much of anything, sorry man not trying to be against you but it is what it is. I'm currently looking all over the truck I purchased in June because the warranty is up next july. Already had a manifold replaced, GEM issues, tranny dipstick and tube replaced, and this is a truck with only 27k mi on the clock! But after July 2012 my V10 could blow and then its on my dime. Just the joys of ownership I guess.

I still believe that any high mileage vehicle is prone to issues. For example I was lucky enough to acquire a car from a family member for commuting to work and back. As soon as I started driving it a wheel bearing went, then it needed new brakes, and now its making an awful noise from the front end....it has 111,000 miles on it. I drove it before it was given to me and it was fine. Things just happen sometimes and I know the problems are not some expensive motor replacement. The car was free so I'm not complaining. I just would never buy anything with more than 50,000 miles I dont care what they say about diesel motors lasting. Wearable parts are well wearable and the more miles the more wear. Again I'm not going against you and wish things could turn out better. At least your motor has a new warranty!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
n7bsn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Its me (c:
I thought so. My advise is still the same, have every reliability fix (even 3rd party) made to the engine, no performance changes, just reliability. Then sell the truck before it warranty on this engine runs out. You might recall I bought the 08-F350 this spring, I went with the V10 'cause it's so bullet proof. This engine has stood the test of time, first shipped in 98 (for Fleet sales only), then in 99 for everyone. It's still being sold (although not the vehicles most customers buy) If I was to buy in a few years, I would look at the current 6.7 L, I have hopes that this one will be plagued with fewer problems then the 6.0 or 6.4. My Theory (TM, with no proof at all), is that Ford decided that the 7.3L replacement engine needed to have power and better fuel economy. Navistar delivered the 6.0 engine, which proved so troublesome, Ford ordered a new engine for the new emissions standards (rather then just upgrading the 6.0 to meet the standards. But even the 6.4 had issues (besides the legal issues between Ford and Navistar). So Ford came up with the 6.7, returning to the larger block engine. TTFN Ralph

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Looks like 5 injectors were replaced recently. 2 in April and 3 in July.
I would find out if the written Ford procedure says to replace the glow plug in the cylinder where a known injector failure occurred.

Service records also say that a compression test was performed in July. The procedure to check compression involves removing the glow plugs....just saying...
That's really helpful information. I'll find out which glow plug it was.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by n7bsn
I thought so. My advise is still the same, have every reliability fix (even 3rd party) made to the engine, no performance changes, just reliability. Then sell the truck before it warranty on this engine runs out. You might recall I bought the 08-F350 this spring, I went with the V10 'cause it's so bullet proof. This engine has stood the test of time, first shipped in 98 (for Fleet sales only), then in 99 for everyone. It's still being sold (although not the vehicles most customers buy) If I was to buy in a few years, I would look at the current 6.7 L, I have hopes that this one will be plagued with fewer problems then the 6.0 or 6.4. My Theory (TM, with no proof at all), is that Ford decided that the 7.3L replacement engine needed to have power and better fuel economy. Navistar delivered the 6.0 engine, which proved so troublesome, Ford ordered a new engine for the new emissions standards (rather then just upgrading the 6.0 to meet the standards. But even the 6.4 had issues (besides the legal issues between Ford and Navistar). So Ford came up with the 6.7, returning to the larger block engine. TTFN Ralph
One thing that really upsets me is Ford sued Navistar and won, but aren't willing to help the people who bought their crappy engine. I think I might be done with diesels.

Bob G. Still has his '00 V-10 and its running fine. I should have kept Bruiser, my '99 7.3 with 180,000 trouble free miles. )c:

Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Looks like 5 injectors were replaced recently. 2 in April and 3 in July.
I would find out if the written Ford procedure says to replace the glow plug in the cylinder where a known injector failure occurred.

Service records also say that a compression test was performed in July. The procedure to check compression involves removing the glow plugs....just saying...
Greg, you may have just made the case for me. I didn't know about the compression test removing the glow plugs.

Thank you!

Hunter

Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 AM
CKetchum
Senior User

I owned a 99' F-350 Supercab Lariat (SRW) V-10 until two months ago. It had 212,000 miles at time of trade in. The V-10 always worked great, but over the last two years I owned it it started having an electrical gremlin that I just couldn't overcome. It was at the local Ford Dealer for 2 months and they were pulling their hair out, had the regional engineer look at it a few time too. They threw parts at it and in the end wanted me to pay for everything they did (New ECU, MAF, Harmonic Balancer, TPS, Lower Engine Wiring Harness, Crank Position Sensor, a whole mess of Vacuum Hoses, etc). Ford Customer Service convinced the local Dealer that they didn't fix anything so I wasn't on the hook for the big bill. The engine would slowly lose power and start shutting down each coil pack and injector, sort of a cascade until it stalled. Just like it ran out of gas. Simply turn the truck off and restart it and you were off for another 100 miles or so until it started all over again. In the end an old ambulance mechaninc suggested that I look at the coil packs, weird as it was. I bought 10 new ones and though my wife was going to divorce me...but the problem went away...for about 12 months. The Gen 1 V-10s had a small trouble code loop that didn't supply information in real time for some things. The newer V-10s are much easier to troubleshoot as I understand it, having a much greater capacity ECU and wiring harness. I hope your dealer finds that they were possibly responsible and pay the bill. My time with the V-10 was great. I now have an 08' with the PSD. I hope I get as many miles out of it. I do love the MPG increase...

Best of luck,
Clint

Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might argue that the EGR cooler failure weakened the glow plug by thermal shock, or that the glow plug was overtightened causing it's failure, or just pay with visa and claim consumer fraud as Ford should have reimbursed you under warranty!
Jim & fat (anxious to meet Cooper one day) Monty

Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
You might argue that the EGR cooler failure weakened the glow plug by thermal shock, or that the glow plug was overtightened causing it's failure, or just pay with visa and claim consumer fraud as Ford should have reimbursed you under warranty!
Jim & fat (anxious to meet Cooper one day) Monty
Hi Jim,

First Cooper would love to meet fat Monty <g> Ford won't reimburse me because the warranty ran out a month before the glow plug broke and destroyed the engine.

Hunter

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Dang, that's an awful deal. For 14k though, you could probably drop in a 12v cummins and have some cash left; call me crazy, but if you could get away emissions wise with having an older engine swapped in, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm on my 2nd v10, and both of them combined didn't add up to 14k; but they did the job, and they both have over 100k miles...

The other option, and might be worth looking into unless you gave the dealer the go ahead already, is parting out your truck and getting as much money as you can out of it, then getting something else. You'd be surprised how much some things (like a set of leather seats or a tailgate for example) go for.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fosters
Dang, that's an awful deal. For 14k though, you could probably drop in a 12v cummins and have some cash left; call me crazy, but if you could get away emissions wise with having an older engine swapped in, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm on my 2nd v10, and both of them combined didn't add up to 14k; but they did the job, and they both have over 100k miles...

The other option, and might be worth looking into unless you gave the dealer the go ahead already, is parting out your truck and getting as much money as you can out of it, then getting something else. You'd be surprised how much some things (like a set of leather seats or a tailgate for example) go for.
I'm already driving the truck with the new engine.... so far so good, its gone 100 miles <g>

Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
I'm already driving the truck with the new engine.... so far so good, its gone 100 miles <g>
Hope you have much better luck with this one! Does this engine come with a warranty? If so, how long? If not, did you have them do the must-haves for the 6.0? The head studs, oil cooler, egr, etc?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Deends who you ask about the warranty...

Ford customer service twit says 36 mos/100,000 miles.

The dealership says 24 mos/unlimited mileage.

No, I haven't done any must-haves..... dammit, I think Ford should.

I'm going to sell it.....

Hunter

Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
I'm looking at an '08 F-250 with the V-10 tomorrow... 46,000 miles.

I really can't afford to keep this F-350 with the new 6.0.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking at an '08 F-250 with the V-10 tomorrow... 46,000 miles.

I really can't afford to keep this F-350 with the new 6.0.
Sounds nice, but I still don't see how you are going to come out ahead by getting the V-10. If you trade your current truck in, you've instantly flushed that $14,000 you paid for the new engine down the toilet. Plus, you probably won't get what you paid for the truck on trade in even with the new engine, so you will be out that amount as well.

Right now you have a truck with a new engine that has a warranty, I would keep it and use it. The V-10 doesn't have much warranty left.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are pretty certain about getting rid of your current truck. If that's the decision you make, the V-10 is a great engine and I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Quick Reply: Should I Get an F-250 with V-10