1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

factory towing package

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:01 AM
paubreadly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory towing package

Got another one for you fella's..I got a towing package with this used 98 f150 from the factory..Cannot get the wiring set up to work for my trailer lights..I got the 7-4 adapter,,and cannot get no fire after or before the plug...Looked at all the fuses,,is there any other place to look for a fuse besides under the hood and under the dash????Any idea's????

Old 04-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
factory towing package

Do you have the owner's manual for the truck? In it it should tell you about relays that need to be installed for the trailer lights. If the trailer lights have never been used before the relays probably arent installed. There is a small replay box next to the underhood fuse box. Most of the time the relays came in a bag in the glove compartment when the truck was new but it was up to the owner to install them if he wanted.

Old 04-10-2003, 01:01 AM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
factory towing package

We had the same prob. with my 97', it too came from the factory with the towing package. We also used a 7-4 (pigtail) adapter. We fiddled with the ground wires and even drove it around for a mile or so and they started working, the guy who owned the trailer said it was a common problem and driving a bit usually helps. Doesn't make any sense to me but it worked.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:48 AM
paubreadly
Junior User
factory towing package

Got it working the other night..It was just like Racerguy said it was...Nobody had ever put the fuse in...I looked at the under the dash fuses and the large fuse panel and the smaller one under the hood that was taped shut (from the factory) still was not to be found...Then my nephew (just 7 yrs younger) came over and he is a certified Ford mechanic and my bro n law who has a 97 f150 and they walked right over to where the trailer package fuse was next to the other 2 under the hood,,,,right there it was...