Sponsored by: Moser

Does anyone want a F-150 diesel option?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM
460trazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deisel f 150

Sad but true. The government is NOT going to allow anything practical into our market. But if they did I think a diesel motor in an f 150 would be cool. The only thing is, when I think f150, I think peppy lil 4wd with a solid front axle and maybe a locked rear end. Why not? Make us an f150 with a shorter stroke turbo diesel and some solid as hell running gear. Peppy, decent fuel mileage, and just plain solid. That's what i would expect from a diesel f150, not towing or hauling capacity. But of course the government doesnt want us to go off road either, so whatever.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 AM
OMSF250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by drmikegallant
I've been driving a 1975 Mercedes 240D for more than 15 years. The car was my grandmother's, then my fathers, and now it's still nearly all original at over 350,000 miles. It weighed nearly 4000lbs and had a whopping 62hp. That was enough hp to take it above redline and past 90mph on level ground. (Sorry I was 16 once)

Nobody needs all the power they have. Of course, power is fun.

HA!

I gotcha beat! 88HP in my 300d Turbo!!!!

I can only describe the acceleration curve as something like launching the space shuttle..... veeeery.....veeeery......veeeery strenuous off the line..... but then the turbo kicks on and it's to the moon Alice!

Of course.... If I ever fixded the exhaust leak at the manifold... I might get some more air to the turbo at lower end, but then again, these beasts aren't known for their factory off line settings..... they were meant to run fast at speed.

An all mechanical engine that gets close to 40mpg.... with an exhaust leak before the turbo....cost.... $3000.00. Owned it for a year and the only thing I've done to it is tires, brakes, fixed heater assembly, rebuilt injectors myself with those ever available rebuild kits, and I've got nearly 32,000 miles on it myself. My work is an 80 mile round trip, with driving for service, kids chauffeuring after work. ODO broke on me within weeks, but got a good baseline after injector rebuild to go on, the ODO died at 286k.... and I think the previous owner had fudged it back to work because the tamper paint was broken when I pulled the dash.... so who the freak really knows the mileage on the car.

PAH! LEEEZE! Will someone build a small diesel vehicle for between $12-$16k!!!!

You think I'm unreasonable?? A VW TDI wagon, with leather interior and power everything goes for $25k.... you can't build a cloth interior, AC, two power windows and a AM/FM/single CD unit for $12k.....Really??.... Really??

Tell the greenies to go eff themselves and build the dang truck! Ranger size is perfect-4cyl 1.7l-2.2l. F150 needs one too, between a 3.0l to 4.5l. Want Hercules?? Get a 6.7l..... and frankly, I'd rather find an older 7.3l IDI... I own both a 1990 IDI and a 2003 6.0l....... yeeeeeah.

A Ford Focus average price is $12,000 and it has all the features I listed. A truck is less expensive to build than the Focus, so add the diesel and the price point is the same at $12K. Standard cab, standard bed. Price it up $1k, extended cab, short bed. Add $1.5k Extended cab, standard bed, add $2k, quad-cab, short bed.....etc..... Wanna Lariat Ranger?? Add $5k and get a flux gate compass, outside temp, mpg's burned/burning, and pleather seats, a paint/trim package and a spoiler for the roof, wheels, locking tail, MP3 player with subwoofer system and dollar bills in the side pockets.

I mean really???

Is it that hard???

KNAWT!!!!

When Jeep came out with their little diesel, I couldn't wait to get one. Guess what?? It was a single production run of limited units, lease options only, to never return. When I found out about them, I went to dealership and told me there wasn't one available in the entire US... he also told me mostly dealership family members got them, and their friends. Anyone who's ever driven one wants another one.

Really?????

I'm so PO'd over this small diesel issue....BTW- who posed the F150 diesel question anyway???

Doe this person work for Ford, a marketer for Ford, the Bean Division?? Who really posed the question because I see this as yet just one more tease in the last ten years of putting diesels in vehicles.

The question is rhetorical.... so why bother answering it.

Really.... the question of whether a diesel in anything is a good idea is just a dumb azz question anyway...... OF COURSE A DIESEL CAN GO IN ANYTHING!!!!

The real question goes back to the manufacturers.... do they want to fill a market niche' that will actually grow into a mainstream product and the first in will be the leader.... with bragging rights.... worth lotsa dough in advertising?

I mean really! How many 1984 diesel trucks, Pontiacs and Mercedes are still sitting on the lots waiting to be sold?? Even those POC 6.2l put into the Chevy cars sold and some are still out there today.

That's right....NONE.....were left on the lot.

All diesel cars were sold within the model years of their production.

Ford will build a POS PSD, give nothing in consideration for theirs and IH's screw ups, (at a minimum the EGR cooler set up should be a recall item, the ICP- who puts a plastic sender between an exhaust yoke anyway?)yet they won't install a successfully installed and operational diesel engine they've been using for years elsewhere in a vehicle Stateside.....

Think I'm highly agitated??

FORD!!!!

Quit asking the question.... just get'r done! Really!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM
S Ebels
New User
I was down in the SE part of the state a few weeks ago kicking around Pickney and North Territorial road. My son and I were in my F-250 sitting at a stop light and a pickup came around the corner, white with zebra stripes all over it. We both thought someone had gone overboard with the electrical tape for a moment before realizing that we had just seen a "mule". After we realized what it was we whipped around and followed. It was definitely NOT as big as an F-150 so we concluded that we had just gotten a glimpse of the new Ranger.

On another note.....Why the heck is the new 6.7PSD assembled in Mexico?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by lhedrick
I will say the ECO boost motor is a good step. My main concern is the double overhead cam and it's variable valve timing. That means chains and a movable advance actuator of some type. What chance is there for that to run 250,000 miles. I expect every car or truck I own to go at least 250,000. My last car went 300,000 and my toyota T100 now has 280,000 on it.
VVT is common. Nissan has been using it since the early 90s, Ford has been using it since the mid/late 90s starting with Jaguar, so nothing new really. DOHC has been around since the 30s. Chains are more reliable than the shafts and bevel gears used back then, and the 4.6 has chain driven single cams with well proven longevity in hard use. I'd be more concerned with piston cooling and oil cooling.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
OMSF250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
VVT is common. Nissan has been using it since the early 90s, Ford has been using it since the mid/late 90s starting with Jaguar, so nothing new really. DOHC has been around since the 30s. Chains are more reliable than the shafts and bevel gears used back then, and the 4.6 has chain driven single cams with well proven longevity in hard use. I'd be more concerned with piston cooling and oil cooling.
And to top it off.... Nissan was making diesel pick up's in the perfect size class back in the early 80's.... got around high 20's in mileage too.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived in Japan for many years and drove diesel vans that are not available in U.S. I had Isuzu, Mazda, and Toyota, and also drove friend's Nissan diesels. Ford used to own 35% of Mazda and the Rangers were made by Mazda. All of my diesels in Japan were 4 cylinder and turbo with plenty of power, even loaded and climbing steep Japanese mountains. If Ford still has a stake in Mazda, it seems to me they could do it for the F150 at a reasonable cost. We in America are ripped off with diesel prices. Everywhere I go in the world, diesel is about $.30 or more cheaper per gallon than gasoline. Plus, with my last Toyota diesel van (1999 HiAce), I got 33 mpg. And, Japan has pollution standards as high or higher than America now. No smoke at all from the exhaust on my '99 Toyota.

Right, GM ruined diesels in the American mind back in 1980s.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GuyGene
I lived in Japan for many years and drove diesel vans that are not available in U.S. I had Isuzu, Mazda, and Toyota, and also drove friend's Nissan diesels. Ford used to own 35% of Mazda and the Rangers were made by Mazda. All of my diesels in Japan were 4 cylinder and turbo with plenty of power, even loaded and climbing steep Japanese mountains. If Ford still has a stake in Mazda, it seems to me they could do it for the F150 at a reasonable cost. We in America are ripped off with diesel prices. Everywhere I go in the world, diesel is about $.30 or more cheaper per gallon than gasoline. Plus, with my last Toyota diesel van (1999 HiAce), I got 33 mpg. And, Japan has pollution standards as high or higher than America now. No smoke at all from the exhaust on my '99 Toyota.

Right, GM ruined diesels in the American mind back in 1980s.
One thing to keep in mind though is that in most places around the world gas in considerbly more expensive than here in the states. We are avraging about 3.50$ a gallon right now, And most place's in Europe are 5.00 to 6.00$ plus...So even if they get Diesel for 0.30 cents cheaper they are still paying a ton for it.

But I agree that GM left a stagnent taste in America's mouth for diesels...Those Oldsmobile 5.7L diesels were the worst. Pretty much a Chevy 350 adapted to burn diesel instead of gas. Underpowered, Smoke Belching, Unreliable Pigs those engines were. The 6.2L and 6.5L weren't much better, though I do credit the 6.5L for being the the main power source of the HMMWV's for 30 years.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:03 AM
drh1175
Senior User
I wanted one until I bought my Ecoboost. Honestly it has all the power a f150 diesel would have. And with Gas almost a dollar cheaper than diesel who would want one. At this point I just don't see a need. If you need the power of a diesel than why not just buy a superduty.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 AM
drmikegallant
Freshman User
Originally Posted by drh1175
I wanted one until I bought my Ecoboost. Honestly it has all the power a f150 diesel would have. And with Gas almost a dollar cheaper than diesel who would want one. At this point I just don't see a need. If you need the power of a diesel than why not just buy a superduty.
There are a lot of reasons why an educated person would want to use diesel fuel instead of gasoline fuel. There is more to the equation than the price of a gallon of X.

1. Diesel fuel has more energy per gallon than gasoline. Even when diesel is more expensive than gasoline, the difference in energy between one fuel vs. the other is usually greater than the difference in price. I value my time, and I love the fact that my all-diesel garage requires infrequent fill-ups.

2. Most of the stuff that gasoline engines emit is worse for the environment than what diesel engines emit. In fact, there are many independent, peer-reviewed studies that show that the NOx emitted by diesels (due to high pressure/temperature of combustion) is actually beneficial to the environment. Diesel NOx emissions are a good thing because it counteracts the VOC (volatile organic compounds) emitted by gasoline engines.

Let me say that in plain terms: Diesel engine emissions counter-act gasoline engine emissions!! This is REAL SCIENCE. Not the pseudo-science bologna that the US Govt. uses to arbitrarily reign tyrannically over our consumer automobile engine choices.

(Link to brief summary and to studies)
TDIClub Forums - The truth about VOC and NOx

3. The future of fuel. If you're the sort of guy who likes to read, you probably already know that the future of fuel is in diesel. Have you ever wondered why you haven't read about people engineering algae that produce gasoline? There's a reason for that. Diesel is a more accessible hydrocarbon that organisms can create directly through biological means. Gasoline is volatile and would be nearly impossible to create with the low-energy processes that makes diesel. Diesel can be made out of waste plastics, soy, rapeseed, algae, MAGNETIC ALGAE, and crude oil. So, the future of sustainable fuel IS DIESEL!!

Oh yes, I forgot, you can also make diesel out of waste vegetable oil: waste vegetable oil

Also, there is a crop that my family has worked on growing called "Pennycress". This crop can be planted late in the fall and harvested early in the spring. It is a tough, oily seed that holds more oil than most other plants. It's another source of biodiesel that isn't yet widely known about.. and the amazing thing is that it is a second crop that grows while our Hemisphere is frozen over. How about that!?!!

4. OH, HO, HO, HO, but I'm not even done yet. Do you consider yourself a patriot? A proud American? Do you care about the way our country imports foreign oil? Because diesel solves problems like the import of foreign oil. You've already seen that there are a dozen ways to make diesel fuel, but only one way to make gasoline. Our country needs to slow or stop the import of foreign oil. We need to stop sending our children to the Middle East to fight and die for crude oil. Consumer decisions and education will help this equation, but not if every Joe Schmoe out there keep perpetuating this idea that "eh, my gasoline engine is good enough". Well, it's NOT BLOODY GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 AM
drmikegallant
Freshman User
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM
OMSF250
Freshman User
There are a lot of reasons why an educated person would want to use diesel fuel instead of gasoline fuel. There is more to the equation than the price of a gallon of X.

1. Diesel fuel has more energy per gallon than gasoline. Even when diesel is more expensive than gasoline, the difference in energy between one fuel vs. the other is usually greater than the difference in price. I value my time, and I love the fact that my all-diesel garage requires infrequent fill-ups.

2. Most of the stuff that gasoline engines emit is worse for the environment than what diesel engines emit. In fact, there are many independent, peer-reviewed studies that show that the NOx emitted by diesels (due to high pressure/temperature of combustion) is actually beneficial to the environment. Diesel NOx emissions are a good thing because it counteracts the VOC (volatile organic compounds) emitted by gasoline engines.

Let me say that in plain terms: Diesel engine emissions counter-act gasoline engine emissions!! This is REAL SCIENCE. Not the pseudo-science bologna that the US Govt. uses to arbitrarily reign tyrannically over our consumer automobile engine choices.

(Link to brief summary and to studies)
TDIClub Forums - The truth about VOC and NOx

3. The future of fuel. If you're the sort of guy who likes to read, you probably already know that the future of fuel is in diesel. Have you ever wondered why you haven't read about people engineering algae that produce gasoline? There's a reason for that. Diesel is a more accessible hydrocarbon that organisms can create directly through biological means. Gasoline is volatile and would be nearly impossible to create with the low-energy processes that makes diesel. Diesel can be made out of waste plastics, soy, rapeseed, algae, MAGNETIC ALGAE, and crude oil. So, the future of sustainable fuel IS DIESEL!!

Oh yes, I forgot, you can also make diesel out of waste vegetable oil: waste vegetable oil

Also, there is a crop that my family has worked on growing called "Pennycress". This crop can be planted late in the fall and harvested early in the spring. It is a tough, oily seed that holds more oil than most other plants. It's another source of biodiesel that isn't yet widely known about.. and the amazing thing is that it is a second crop that grows while our Hemisphere is frozen over. How about that!?!!

4. OH, HO, HO, HO, but I'm not even done yet. Do you consider yourself a patriot? A proud American? Do you care about the way our country imports foreign oil? Because diesel solves problems like the import of foreign oil. You've already seen that there are a dozen ways to make diesel fuel, but only one way to make gasoline. Our country needs to slow or stop the import of foreign oil. We need to stop sending our children to the Middle East to fight and die for crude oil. Consumer decisions and education will help this equation, but not if every Joe Schmoe out there keep perpetuating this idea that "eh, my gasoline engine is good enough". Well, it's NOT BLOODY GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
I got 20 acres that I was going to plant Jatropha on... Pennycress???? WOW!!!!

2000lbs/acre?? Geez leweezie! That's pretty good! I'm going to have to research this a little more.

Just saw another tease from Chevy today in Diesel Power. Speculation is to put an Opel engine in a US car for 70MPG's....twin turbo's too.

So Ford is sticking their trucks in a rut by only offering $60,000 vehicles, leaving everyone else high and dry. In case they didn't realize it, they aren't the only ones who didn't take or get a bail out.

Nice customer loyalty and lack of foresight.

Gawd I hate Chevies.... but will cross the line if I have to. My last Chevy was a '64 Impala, the one before a '55 Sedan. I've owned six Fords, three F250's, two Festiva's, and Focus. Why the small stuff? Cuz I like fuel efficiency. Why the big stuff? Cuz I like fuel efficiency with great torque and load capabilities.... gassers can reach great HP... but no matter how they're built, isn't diesel torque.... yes, even in a passenger car or light duty truck. Until you actually experience driving them overseas, you won't know how good it gets.

Light duty 4 bangers and medium duty V6 diesels are great power makers combined with great mileage. One of the best diesel engines ever made, perfect for any ride you want is the Cummins 3.9BT. 150 HP, sipped fuel, but torquie as all get out. No it won't pull a big F350, but a Ranger would drive sweet and still carry a sub-contractors tools boxes and supplies no problem. Want concrete... go get the F2/3/4/5/650.

Where's the imagination and the spine of Ford??

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 AM
drmikegallant
Freshman User
X2!!

The Cummins 3.9 can be modified and tuned to produce over 300 reliable horsepower. If it's built specifically for competition, I am pretty sure you could see 600hp on diesel fuel only, (1000+hp with nitrous)

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
OMSF250
Freshman User
X2!!

The Cummins 3.9 can be modified and tuned to produce over 300 reliable horsepower. If it's built specifically for competition, I am pretty sure you could see 600hp on diesel fuel only, (1000+hp with nitrous)

Oookaay!!!

Now we're stretching a bit!!!

Reliable maybe up to 170-possibly 200HP, but 300 reliable.... gots my doubts. 1000HP.... which stroke we gunna start seeing pistons?? Not a head bolt big enuff, nor a factory side wall thick enuff to contain that in a 3.9.

Common rail, computerized and six speed trans attached to a 3.9BT in either 150 or 170HP would be sweet in either a Ranger or F-150.

Rangers and F-150's have had V6 gassers in them ...including that Ecoboost gasser.

So where's the diesel option????

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 PM
460trazy
New User
tell me more about this 3.9, will research it now but that sounds almost about what i need in a pickup. On another note how do i get a lil more pep outa my carbed 87 460?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
460trazy
New User
also can u convert a gas motor to diesel? if so, how?

Quick Reply: Does anyone want a F-150 diesel option?