1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie Looking to Buy 1st F100....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good score. That's a damned good price for a two owner, unmolested F-100. fill the cylinders with some Marvel Mystery oil, or something like that before you try breaking it loose. Can't wait to see pics. Double check the vin though, they are sometimes easy to misread. Otherwise, there's something wrong if it starts as FLP. Post the rest of the data plate info so we can see all the details of your score. Is it a standard, or deluxe cab? With or without the side mounted spare (I like the side mounted spare the best). Going for restoration, or are you going to change it up? Something like that is restoration material, so hopefully that's the route, even it's your decision.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,184 Likes on 2,686 Posts
Originally Posted by F1Newb
I'm just hoping this never happened to it.....

Land Rover Discovery Destroys Tow Truck (short)
This one was obviously not built Ford tuff eh! lol

Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Sorry for the dark pictures but all I had was my iphone when I looked at it yesterday. I haven't gotten it home yet, but when I do I can start a new thread with some better pics. The only rust I could find anywhere was some small holes in the running boards. I looked at the bed wood from underneath as it has a large metal plate covering the entire interior of the bed, but the wood seemed ok and a couple rotted boards.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Sweet...nice looking survivor. You could go any number of directions with this truck. Did you get the teeth for the grille? Not too many custom cab 53's around.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
As beautiful, and original as that truck is, I hope you do a resto, instead of a street rod, but that is my opinion. There are so few worthy of restorations anymore, that you have a rarety for sure. If you are wanting a street rod, I'll sell you a nearly whole 56 truck that you can chop up for dirt cheap, just to give you the opportunity to save that super clean original. And I mean CHEAP......

Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
I have every piece of the truck in a box, including the original grille teeth. He is also providing a NOS lighter, glove box ****, front V8 symbol, and a few other little parts. My plan is to keep everything original other than the stance of the truck. I want to put some lowering springs on it to give it a more street rod stance. But other than that I am going to sand and strip it and paint it with a black epoxy primer for now. I am hoping the original drive train is useable, that way I can just rebuild the motor and trans if need be and drive it. That way it is kept as original as possible for the time being and later down the road I can always go with a full restore. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck, so I have plenty of time to enjoy it.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Congrats on your find and steal . Get your post count up to 25 and you can use the search function very well. Im a darksider but there are plenty of guys here who are resto experts. Much success with your project.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 254 Likes on 159 Posts
That one appears to be one fine original. Way too nice to modify.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
56FOneHundred
Junior User
Ok so i would feel bad if i started chopping it up and modifying it... But i also want a truck i can safely drive down the highway and feel safe in on weekends. Am i going to get crucified by folks if i take some leafs out or get new mono leafs to lower it and change out the rearend with a newer ford 8.8 and some front discs? I dont want to chop it or c notch the frame or anything extreme, but i do want a safe highway driver.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 56FOneHundred
Ok so i would feel bad if i started chopping it up and modifying it... But i also want a truck i can safely drive down the highway and feel safe in on weekends. Am i going to get crucified by folks if i take some leafs out or get new mono leafs to lower it and change out the rearend with a newer ford 8.8 and some front discs? I dont want to chop it or c notch the frame or anything extreme, but i do want a safe highway driver.
You won't get crusified changing out springs. I think you are under a false impression with these old trucks though. They are perfectly safe to drive down the highway in stock form. They may not have power brakes, or power steering, but there is nothing dangerous about them. I learned how to drive in one, and it was my dads '55 F-350 express pick-up that I drove to school. I drove it, when everyone else had Toyotas, and Hondas, and such. As long as the front bushings are in good shape, these old trucks are plenty safe. The brakes will stop the truck fine, and as long as it's all maintained properly, they won't put on the opposite shoulder. Personally, and again, this is my opinion, any one that thinks these trucks are unsafe, and shouldn't be driven without some modern set up, don't know what they're talking about. No, it won't perform like some new fancy pick up with IFS, and ride control, and all that crap, but it is not unsafe in any way, shape, or form. Let me make a suggestion. Since this is your first, and it's such a beautiful original example, replace the spring bushings, and rod ends, and rebuild the stock steering box. Go through the brakes, and put all new matching rubber in the stock size all the way around. Drive the truck that way for a while, and then decide. Freshen up the drive train, and enjoy it. I think you'll be surprised by the way it drives. It will be alittle stiff, just because it's an old truck, and it was designed to haul loads, not go to the store for milk. I think you will be amazed by the large number of people that will be breaking their necks to get a closer look. Enjoy it fully, in it's original glory, and then decide. If you still think you want a rod after that, then give someone an opportunity to swap you for a truck that is more of a rod candidate. These trucks are so rare to find in original condition, that what you have is an opportunity. I'll give you another F-100 to streetrod, if it means the difference between saving, and not saving an original beautiful example like that. I've got a '56 F-100 sitting here that I will give you, if you come get it, just to see someone restore a truck instead of mod it. There are three kinds of old Fords. Original survivors, worthy of nothing less than an excellent restoration. Trucks that are in need of some major rebuilding, but aren't stripped, or wrecked to the point that they are only good for parts, make perfect street rod projects, and then there's the wrecked, weathered, and stripped trucks that are good as donors only.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Great pic's and that is a great find... much better then the other one you were looking at... Also what are the tires that are on the truck? A different size tire in the front & back can make a world of difference.

Quick Reply: Newbie Looking to Buy 1st F100....