AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
fuel pump? try a pressure test on it.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know exactly what u mean by sputtering, but our V10 once felt kinda misfirey (is that a word?) and it had no "*****" suddenly. I literally would not pass people on the one lane highways as I was afraid I wouldn't make it around in time. She had no "get up and go". Anyway, hubby thought it was a fuel problem and bought fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, and some fuel sensor that was right at the back of the engine, real PITA to replace, anyway, somehow he ended up at the oxygen sensors under the truck. Someone said that sometimes if they are bad they'll still read so the computer won't get a code. Anyway, he replaced all of them and it fixed it. Not sure if it was just one of them or all. But anyway, according to him, if they are giving a reading but it is wrong, the computer won't know, because it isn't giving an error, it's just giving misinformation, so it's telling the computer the fuel mixture is too high/low or whatever. Does that make sense?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
fuel pump? try a pressure test on it.
How do I do this?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
02 sensors, that's it, y can't I remember that?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 809taino
How do I do this?
There is a Schraeder valve along the rear of the fuel rail on the passenger side. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge.

You may want to check the connectors to your injectors. May have accidentally knocked one loose during all that work you did on it?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do I do this?
I see that your spending a lot of time and money, I know that for most here the dealer is a no-no.

BUT...

I think your best bet is take your Ex over to Maroone Ford in Ft. Lauderdale...
Request Tech Joe Rennali for $94. you will know what's wrong in less than 1 hour. At that point you decide if you want him to repair or if you want to repair yourself.

*mods, I do not work for them or make any money advertising the dealership.
But this dealership is priced fairly and happen to have a few really good techs.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 AM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I see that your spending a lot of time and money, I know that for most here the dealer is a no-no.

BUT...

I think your best bet is take your Ex over to Maroone Ford in Ft. Lauderdale...
Request Tech Joe Rennali for $94. you will know what's wrong in less than 1 hour. At that point you decide if you want him to repair or if you want to repair yourself.

*mods, I do not work for them or make any money advertising the dealership.
But this dealership is priced fairly and happen to have a few really good techs.
I'll concider that but im gonna change the fuel filter and check the fuel pump before that. I have a feeling it's gas related. The $94 option will be next... Thanks. Im gonna clean the ingectors too. BrB..

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 955 Likes on 690 Posts
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
809taino
Elder User
Went to advance and asked the guy to plug his computer and see if he can get any codes... No codes.. No check engine light but the guy decided to plug anyways. He recomended seafoam.. Got the release tool and went to it. located the relay and release the pressure, ran out the excess and went to it. After a little wiggling with the little tool to release the Fuel filter i changed it out. The old one looked less than a year old and still looked clean. After putting in the new one I gassed it, added the seafoam and Took it out for a few miles and notices a cleaner ride but still sputtering. It only sputters when it hits cruising speed. I have to release the gas to get it back to smooth until i coast, then is shakes the whole truck. It feels like the flow of gas is somehow not constant. I hit the gas hard and it feels like its bottoming out. I have to use momentum to get to desired speed. It's a mission i tell you... Im thinking since i've already changed all this stuff I might as well change the injectors too...
The exhaust sounds like it's playing an offbeat drum if that can help explain what I'm hearing out of the tailpipe. This is so frustrating!!!
I've spent all of what was supposed to go to my tires.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
809taino
Elder User
Ok... i might have a bad Oxygen sensor....

Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by riggers
I don't know exactly what u mean by sputtering, but our V10 once felt kinda misfirey (is that a word?) and it had no "*****" suddenly. I literally would not pass people on the one lane highways as I was afraid I wouldn't make it around in time. She had no "get up and go". Anyway, hubby thought it was a fuel problem and bought fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, and some fuel sensor that was right at the back of the engine, real PITA to replace, anyway, somehow he ended up at the oxygen sensors under the truck. Someone said that sometimes if they are bad they'll still read so the computer won't get a code. Anyway, he replaced all of them and it fixed it. Not sure if it was just one of them or all. But anyway, according to him, if they are giving a reading but it is wrong, the computer won't know, because it isn't giving an error, it's just giving misinformation, so it's telling the computer the fuel mixture is too high/low or whatever. Does that make sense?
I'll be checking my oxygen sensor, thanks..

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
That crazy almost jerkiness is what I felt too, and mostly only when accelerating, did fine at cruising but getting up to 70 was a job, would come and go, it was CRAZY. It took me months just to get it to do it when hubby was in the truck. At first he kept saying I was imagining things. I was like, WILL YOU LISTEN, I am not IMAGINING THIS! Once he felt it do it, he was all, "oh, that is weird." Ohhhhhhhhhhh, ya think? lol

Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
I'll be checking my oxygen sensor, thanks..
Jay, I love the fact you are trying to figure out yourself!

I did not go back very far in the thread, I'm guessing you have cleaned the MAF....checked your IAC...checked For Vacuum leaks....checked your Cat...

Good luck

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Jay, I love the fact you are trying to figure out yourself!

I did not go back very far in the thread, I'm guessing you have cleaned the MAF....checked your IAC...checked For Vacuum leaks....checked your Cat...

Good luck
Not sure what the MAF and IAC terms mean....Sorry. Can you explain? Thanks.

Yea, I've spent 2 weeks and my tires budget trying to get this annoying shaking and sputtering out of the way. Like @riggers said, It can be a bit dangerous trying to get out of a situation and the truck don't respond. I have five kids and it's scary sometimes. Im mostly afraid when my wife drives it. She bottoms it out then bitches at me about why am I spending so much money on parts and i don't just go park it in front of the dealer who sold it to me. She doesn't understand that it can get ugly if I do that.

I just picked up the 02 sensor and Im letting the engine cool off before going under for what I hope it's my final resolve. The guy at advance said i might have a vacuum leak and it's causing it to loose compression, so if this 02 sensor don't do it, I guess that's my next option. Either way thank you all for your help. It's good to know you guys share in my pain right now.

My biggest worry is a messed up pistons. I haven't heard any banging or any knocking but looking at the engine and how it's shaking I'm really worried. I can't really afford one of those high tech diagnosis and I'm really afraid of the results. I'll keep you guys posted.. Thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Not sure what the MAF and IAC terms mean....Sorry. Can you explain? Thanks.

Yea, I've spent 2 weeks and my tires budget trying to get this annoying shaking and sputtering out of the way. Like @riggers said, It can be a bit dangerous trying to get out of a situation and the truck don't respond. I have five kids and it's scary sometimes. Im mostly afraid when my wife drives it. She bottoms it out then bitches at me about why am I spending so much money on parts and i don't just go park it in front of the dealer who sold it to me. She doesn't understand that it can get ugly if I do that.

I just picked up the 02 sensor and Im letting the engine cool off before going under for what I hope it's my final resolve. The guy at advance said i might have a vacuum leak and it's causing it to loose compression, so if this 02 sensor don't do it, I guess that's my next option. Either way thank you all for your help. It's good to know you guys share in my pain right now.

My biggest worry is a messed up pistons. I haven't heard any banging or any knocking but looking at the engine and how it's shaking I'm really worried. I can't really afford one of those high tech diagnosis and I'm really afraid of the results. I'll keep you guys posted.. Thanks
Jay, don't be afraid!!

The MAF sensor is located in the air intake system. It's a Mass Air Flow sensor, this needs to be cleaned with MAF cleaner or carb cleaner. Some times they need to be changed out if damaged inside. This sensor helps your computer determine how to adjust your fuel/air ratio.

The IAC on my v10 is located behind the throttle body, should be the same on your 5.4.... This is your Idle Air control valve. These are known to get gummy and try cleaning first, but you may need to change out. This part can cause rough idle or even engine shutting down at idle. When mine started to act up I would get a little shutter until finally a month later my Ex would just shutdown at idle.

I agree with your guy, as I mentioned before if you have a leak in your vacuum this will also make you shutter.

Last, if all these fail look into your cat, could be blocked with crap and you may have to beat it clean.

If you don't have any strange sounds from your 5.4 or burning crazy amounts of oil... Don't be afraid, most of these repairs are cheap!

Quick Reply: Sputtering X