1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Rust repair opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM
andgott
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C G B
Bah, your first cab was fixable. Nothing but a few parts, some steel, and a welder.

On the other hand, if you got a good deal on the cab, thats definitely the way to go.

Sure, it WAS fixable- I've read your thread, I commend you for what you did!! You turned a piece of 'swiss cheese' into a usable cab

I figured that I'd have $500 or so in sheet metal- Possibly a little more. Then, all the time/trouble to cut the old out, and weld in the new. I'm an OK welder, and might be able to do it, but it's going to take a LONG time. I paid a lot less than that for the cab, and It's only got a few tiny holes on one side of the floor, good, SOLID mounts, and a touch of surface rust here and there- It's going to save me a TON of time and money in the long run, even with the costs involved with getting it to me.

-Andrew

Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LIfe is good, really surprised to find you found a replacement cab in good condition, great find. IMO, the amount of time/work/$ to prepare for reassembly will be considerably less. Suggest clearing the drain, and relief channels while the cab is off the frame, d.davidv has an article on subject, I was surpised to find how much gunk, and debre can accumulate in the pockets.

f100rust

Keep us posted on your progress and post pic's if you can.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
andgott
Senior User
Thanks, Dave... Great link there. I was amazed at the amount of 'stuff' that I found inside my OLD cab- I checked all those areas on the new cab, and they've already been cleaned out, the guy I got it from treats his parts pretty well!

I plan to make sure it's all nice and clean before it goes on the frame- Lots easier to do that stuff now!

-Andrew

Old 10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
66 4x4
Mountain Pass
Was surprised you found a cab that good from your area, my cab was from a grain truck few miles and kept in the barn during winter, good luck with your truck .

Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
andgott
Senior User
Yeah, it was a GREAT find... You have to love the internet.

I actually found a couple of cabs- But some people really put a HIGH price tag on them. One guy wanted $900 for them, in far worse shape than this one is in. He kept saying that he could easily get $1200+ out of it up at Pigeon forge... I said, Go ahead and bring it there, and good luck!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by andgott
After getting an estimate from the local restoration/body shop ($2500 in labor, PLUS parts), and looking it over again, I thought first I'd replace the floors and mounts myself.

But, then I started looking at the whole picture. Realistically, I'm going to need to take the cab off to do it right.... I'm looking at several hundred in patch panels & sheet metal... And, there are other (though less serious) issues in the columns, etc.

So- I found a new cab, in decent shape, not far from me, for $300. I'm thinking this is the way to go- MUCH less rust, and the floors and supports are in good shape.

This changes ALL my plans, though. I think if I'm going to go this far, I might as well take the whole body off the frame this winter, rather than just do the quick patch job that I was going to do for now. I just have to get a couple of the boats I've got in the workshop finished up and out of the way first

-Andrew
Oh and it begins, it's called the snowball effect.lol Been there as well was a lot of fun and great to see what you are doing, love seeing people get these great trucks back to where they need to be. My was in better shape and I'm in Canada.lol
Keep the pics coming. Cheers

D

Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
andgott
Senior User
Yeah, that's how it goes... I'm too far in to back out now- Have to finish it up. It's like my boat restoration projects- If I'd have known when I started what I was up against, I'd have probably passed... But, I'm hooked now. This is my first truck restoration, so I've got a lot to learn- And a lot of it I'm learning the hard way!

-Andrew

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andgott
Sure, it WAS fixable- I've read your thread, I commend you for what you did!! You turned a piece of 'swiss cheese' into a usable cab

I figured that I'd have $500 or so in sheet metal- Possibly a little more. Then, all the time/trouble to cut the old out, and weld in the new. I'm an OK welder, and might be able to do it, but it's going to take a LONG time. I paid a lot less than that for the cab, and It's only got a few tiny holes on one side of the floor, good, SOLID mounts, and a touch of surface rust here and there- It's going to save me a TON of time and money in the long run, even with the costs involved with getting it to me.

-Andrew
Thanks. Its a ton of work to get something that far gone usable again. Keep in mind, Im fixxing mine because too many people told me I couldnt.

How does the rear of your old cab look? Depending on where your holes are in the old cab, and how good of shape it is in, you may be able to cut sections out of the old cab to fix your new one. Would save you the cost and pain in the neck of using replacement sections or welding in sheet steel to fix. You should be able to buy sheets of 4X8 20g mild steel for about $50-$60 a sheet. You may only need a 1/4 sheet, so maybe $15 to $20 to buy new flat steel if it comes to that.