Airstream

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airstream

Looking at downsizing to a 31' Airstream, 1971 model. It needs minor interior work, but the outside is in good shape. Give me the good, bad and ugly about them. I know that they have a following like a cult, but I want some truth about possible issues I could have with something that old.
Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by mudfuel06
Looking at downsizing to a 31' Airstream, 1971 model. It needs minor interior work, but the outside is in good shape. Give me the good, bad and ugly about them. I know that they have a following like a cult, but I want some truth about possible issues I could have with something that old.
Thanks,
Ben
RVs are all the same when it comes to the systems that make them go down the road or liveable. A sound exterior is not correlated with how appliances work, whether wiring is rodent chewed, brakes no longer work, and so forth. Parts on any older model of anything may not be in existence anymore.

If it is what you want and you will enjoy it (and you realize it may require some work), go for it. If not walk away. The industry has a saying "there is no such thing as a "classic" when it comes to RVs. Working on some of almost everything, I tend to agree wirh that saying.

Steve

Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Steve, thanks for the input. I was hoping you'd respond since you seem to have the most experience with a wide variety of models. Our current one, a Pure Sport by Pilgrim, has been nothing but garbage and has required a complete reframing of the walls on the exterior. At this point, anything would be a step up from it.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Steve, thanks for the input. I was hoping you'd respond since you seem to have the most experience with a wide variety of models. Our current one, a Pure Sport by Pilgrim, has been nothing but garbage and has required a complete reframing of the walls on the exterior. At this point, anything would be a step up from it.
Sorry you had so much trouble with the Pilgrim. The RV industry just can't seem to get its head around the concept of quality control. Most often that means you can get a very good unit or a very bad one from the same company on the same assembly line the same day.

As a general rule, as you move up the food chain in terms of cost, the volume is usually much lower and quality control is often better. When you look at Airstream, you obviously are considering a unit that was high-end from the get-go so how it was maintained comes into play.

I would note I see a very large number of folks who purchase Airstreams as make-over projects and loose interest fairly quickly. I think many folks fail to recognize how much a "project" can eat up time. With the Airstream you are considering make sure the basics are in place. You will find some appliances from 70's models that are simply no longer available or have been recalled and discontinued due to safety reasons.

I do believe no matter which brand of RV someone chooses a willingness to do basic maintenance is imperative, but sometimes even then it is possible to get stuck!

Good hunting,

Steve

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
grndpakent
New User
Thanks,
Ben
Ben,
I have restored two Airstreams and now happily camp in a 1994 31' which required no restoration or work. No RV's are not all made the same. You will not even find another maker of the age your looking at. Airstreams are built to last and they do. I suggest you go over to Airforums and ask your questions. There you will find a cadre of guys and gals who like me live and breathe Airstream.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by grndpakent
Ben,
I have restored two Airstreams and now happily camp in a 1994 31' which required no restoration or work. No RV's are not all made the same. You will not even find another maker of the age your looking at. Airstreams are built to last and they do. I suggest you go over to Airforums and ask your questions. There you will find a cadre of guys and gals who like me live and breathe Airstream.
I think this is a good idea not only for someone contemplating an Airstream, but for any brand as a way to gain firsthand knowledge from owners of the brand you may be considering.

Steve

Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
I went and looked at the trailer on Tuesday, it was in ROUGH shape. It would cost way too much money and time to get it into shape to camp in it. At least that's my opinion. Another thing I noticed was that it had very little headroom, I'm 6'4" and the aisle was very narrow. I think we're going to go away from the Airstream line and look for something that has a little more interior room.