General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Searches!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
woodsmoke
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Searches!?

What the F is the deal with searches? Any forum. You do a search to keep from asking some question that has been asked countless times. All you get is a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with what you want to know. Alas. You have to directly ask the question anyway. So to all ya'll that rag on someone for asking a question to do a search. Why don't you do a search on your self? No one in particle. It is that searches suck. In my experiences. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i havent seen that personally. is there a specific search issue that you've seen that with?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not the best with searches myself. So I say those who comment that a subject/question has been posted before, just post a link to that. Makes things alot easier. lol

Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
idk, I just did a search on myself and I found me.
Are you talking about the "search this thread" which is right above the rep heart on the 1st post? Searches come back kinda general sometimes but generally come close

Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
woodsmoke
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Whatever. Do searches all you want. They have never yielded what I was "searching" for. Have a nice day searching. I am out of here.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Searches bring up threads with the words you search in them. It is a pretty broad net.

However, one thing about FTE is you CAN ask the same question over and over and usually not get jumped for it. Thousands have asked:

--better mpg from 360
--better power from 360
--OD auto or 5er for FE
--ANY power from 351m
--modern wheels to replace widow makers
--disc brake conversions
--big power from 460
--how to hot rod 534
--better mpg 534
--parts 534

And a few more. So ask away, you may get directed to a previous post with the same question and some answers, but unlike a brand x site I visit, you generally won't get blasted for asking a common question.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by woodsmoke
Whatever. Do searches all you want. They have never yielded what I was "searching" for. Have a nice day searching. I am out of here.
See ya

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by woodsmoke
What the F is the deal with searches? Any forum. You do a search to keep from asking some question that has been asked countless times. All you get is a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with what you want to know. Alas. You have to directly ask the question anyway. So to all ya'll that rag on someone for asking a question to do a search. Why don't you do a search on your self? No one in particle. It is that searches suck. In my experiences. Thanks.
If you go to advanced search, you can get more specific with the search. Or you can choose to just search thread titles instead of searching for the keywords in posts. If you search only thread titles, it greatly reduces the number of results you get and they're usually more specific to what you're looking for.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No offense to FTE, but yes, the search function on the site is less than stellar. HOWEVER, you can still search FTE by going to Google and searching "site:ford-trucks.com" and whatever you're looking for, e.g. "site:ford-trucks.com Dana 60 swap" and viola! Now you have no excuse...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using quotation marks helps a lot. Also, if you put a "+" sign between two words (e.g. "tach+mount") it will return results with those two words in succession rather than at random locations throughout the post/title. If the search terms are refined a bit and those tools are used you can usually trim down the results quite a bit.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing there is, but when you consider the sheer volume of info on this site I think it does pretty well.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also; to those who do feel that they have to jump on someone for asking a question even if it's been asked before: Please don't.

There are few things that tick me off more than seeing someone post to ask a question and get told (often rather rudely) to use the search function. That may be the norm on other sites but we'd really like to discourage it here, for many reasons.

We like to encourage people to post here. And even if a question has been asked and answered before, possibly even many times, there's always the possibility of new insights being shed on the subject. And imagine a user who comes on here, does a search for a his question, finds the answer and leaves, perhaps never to return. If he'd asked the question instead of searching for it he'd perhaps have still gotten his info but not had any meaningful interaction with the other member of the site, which could have then resulted in his staying around..and perhaps even contributing in a positive way to help others. I know of many users here who came on just looking for some info with no intention to stick around and get involved, and found what a great site this is, and wound up finding new friends and making a home here.

So if it ticks you off to see someone ask a question that's been answered already, just hit the back button on your browser and find another thread. Or better yet, go ahead and give the person the answer if you know it, or even post a few links to other threads on the subject with a little helpful advice thrown in for good measure...it really won't hurt, and you might make a new friend here and/or encourage someone to stick around and what else FTE has to offer.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The search here would be nice if we could "search" only in the forum that we are targeting. ie., search "fuel pump replacement". You may get 1000 hits all over the site but all I want is the results in 94.5-97 l.3L (FYI, the best forum/threads on here)imo

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
The search here would be nice if we could "search" only in the forum that we are targeting. ie., search "fuel pump replacement". You may get 1000 hits all over the site but all I want is the results in 94.5-97 l.3L (FYI, the best forum/threads on here)imo
You can. Go to the main page of the forum you want to search and you'll see "search this forum" at the top right above the first thread.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks SeveBriX!
This will be very helpful!
I am gonna save this link as "how to search for dummies"
Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Thanks SeveBriX!
This will be very helpful!
I am gonna save this link as "how to search for dummies"
Thanks again!
you don't have to search for dummies,just look around you,they are everywhere!!

Quick Reply: Searches!?