6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust Break???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 PM
11fire5er
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have bought a Dodge if you wanted a loud exhaust break and a slow truck. I love my quiet Ford that tows my 38+ foot fifthwheel fast.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Hd05
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Marketing is a beautiful thing...unfortunately it usually involves a "spin" that has little to do with reality......after all we have to remember the "king really was naked" regardless of how the tailor spun it.....

Old 09-04-2011, 07:33 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mebe2k
I have no issues with the engine brake on my truck.. i thought it did quite well going down the grapevine in California..i had the cruise set, and the truck downshifted itself and kept the speed I had it set to.. didn't have to touch the brakes..was quite funny watching all of the other idiots ride their brakes down that hill..
Since I am a commercial truck driver, I have to agree with Painted Horse.. it's all about selecting the right gear and speed BEFORE going down the hill..you can't go flying down the hill in high gear and whine "oh, my engine brake sucks"..because it's not slowing you down well.. even the engine brakes on the big rigs don't work _that_ good... so what if Mr. Duramax and Mr. Dodge brag about their engine brakes, you can laugh at them later when they pass you going down hill with that white smoke coming out of their wheels, because they didn't downshift and slow down when they were supposed to.."i didn't have to downshift and slow down because my D-max has the best engine brake, blah blah"
What I havent read in these explanations is how the tow/haul mode is (this MY year at least) a combination of EB and the trasmission down shifting. Here is my laymans take. correct me if I am wrong. PaintedHorse, you are very proficient at trailering and are quite capable of running the gears manually. For those occasionally trailer pullers, this is how I have always used it:

When you are hauling a "heavy" load
Place in tow/Haul
  1. When your speed is increasing and you desire a decrease, tap brake once or twice until EB engages.
  2. As you need a further decrease, tap brake again or a little harder to tell the EB, you desire a slower speed and so on.
  3. If on a long downgrade, I have also found using the cruise helps maintain speed also without having to manage the gears manually.
This may be the dumbed down version, but it works for me.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My towing conditions are very similar to Painted Horse's. My rig weighs 22200 pounds when ready to go camping. I have run the big hills east of Pittsburgh, Pa on US 30. These are 9% grades that are more than 3 miles long.

My operating procedures are very simple;

Tow/Haul mode engaged
Climb hill at 65mph...you could go faster because the truck has so much power
As I approach the crest of the hill I allow speed to slow to 50mph
At the very top, I tap the brake pedal one times to switch on the EB
I then enjoy the steady 50 mph descent to the bottom...no service brakes needed

I accept the fact that my truck likes 50 mph or a little less when descending. It is the sweet spot for my rig. It only took 2 descents to figure out the parameters that worked for me.

Regards

Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
O.K. Im guessing 50 mph is the sweet spot with 3.73 or 4.10 gearing? Do you know what gear the trucks in....thanks for the plain terms, didn't know about pressing the brake once or twice........Blah Blah Duramax..Blah Blah Dodge......

"THE NEW FORD SUPERDUTY. THE BADDEST TRUCK ON EARTH!"

That's all I've got to say about that....

Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris

My truck is a F350 SRW with 3.55 gearing. Maybe someone with a dually will add to the discussion.

Regards

Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
CabinDoc, I've used it in various ways,

Set the cruise and forget. The cruise will down shift to the appropriate gear. You may have a 5-10 mph run up above the set speed, Depending on what speed the cruise is set for. This has worked well for me on US-40 coming down Daniels Canyon into Heber city. I set the cruise speed at 55 mph at the summit. (It's a 60 mph road) The truck will gain in speed in the upper streatchs of the canyon where it is steeper. all the down shifting is done by the cruise and I end up in 3rd gear going 65-68 mph.

I have also left it in cruise and used the +/- buttons to down shift to lower gears. Tapping the brake would diengage the cruise control.

On some 50-60 mph roads that have 40 mph curves. I set the cruise at 50 mph and as I come to the curve, I use my brakes ( disengaging the cruise) to slow to 40mph. In 2nd gear I will roll up to about 45 mph. If that is fast enough I leave it there. If not, I'll let the truck upshift to 3rd and use the brakes again at the next 40 mph curve.

I don't think there is a a Right or Wrong way. Like many things in our trucks there are multiple ways to utilize the features. Choose the method that works best for your load, grade, altitude and speed limit.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree with all the observations after taking the 12K 5ver out a week ago. You have to be proactive with the entrance speed on the downhill or it will take wheel brakes to get things settled down.
BTW thanks for the tip of being able to use tap shift to set the gear for descent, I had heard that manual shift mode defeats the EB and was using the brake pedal to set downshifts.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
My truck is about 8500lbs, add in any additional passengers, So with 4 horses and 4 riders in the truck, the truck will be 9400-9500lbs, add the trailer at 13,000 and the total is 22,000 to 23,000 lbs

One of thngs that I find very interesting, Is that my #4 pyros temps really climb when I'm engine braking.It often is almost double or triple the #1 pryos temps during the down hill grade. any ideas why?
Another good post Painted Horse. Well thought out and written.

My association with the EB/TH is similar to yours. I'm heading to work so I don't have much time right now, but here is my understanding.

Just shooting from the hip here, but as I have posted previously on this subject, as I understand the EB process, FOMOCO reinjects exhaust into the combustion chamber to starve the combustion process. Thus reducing any power being generated even while coasting, or against compression. While this is a controversial explanation, it is FOMOCO's explanation. See the attached video.

2012 Ford Super Duty | View Super Duty Features | Ford.com

So, if exhaust is being introduced into an already hot envoirnment, it seems to me that it would restrict the fresh air intake thereby increasing the pyros. Not sure if this answers questions or just raises more.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
Just shooting from the hip here, but as I have posted previously on this subject, as I understand the EB process, FOMOCO reinjects exhaust into the combustion chamber to starve the combustion process. Thus reducing any power being generated even while coasting, or against compression. While this is a controversial explanation, it is FOMOCO's explanation. See the attached video.

2012 Ford Super Duty | View Super Duty Features | Ford.com

So, if exhaust is being introduced into an already hot envoirnment, it seems to me that it would restrict the fresh air intake thereby increasing the pyros. Not sure if this answers questions or just raises more.
This seems to be a common misunderstanding; this is not how the system works.

Modern diesel engines such as the 6.7L PSD inject no fuel while coasting. The problem is that because there is no throttle plate used at this time like there is on a gas engine there is no method to restrict the constant motion of the engine. As each piston comes up on the compression stroke, no fuel is injected but the compression pressure pushes the piston back down with very little braking effect.

An exhaust brake operates by increasing exhaust backpressure so as to resist motion of the engine while coasting downhill. No fuel is injected, but due to increased pressure in the exhaust system the travel of the piston is resisted and the vehicle speed is retarded. NO exhaust is introduced into the combustion chamber, this would have no braking effect as it would be just as inert as air would be without fuel.

Originally Posted by www.ford.com
the combustion process is restricted to help maintain the desired vehicle speed
No mention of introduction of exhaust gasses is mentioned here. This system simply uses the turbo veins to resist flow and create backpressure in the exhaust system.

From HERE:

Originally Posted by Diesel Power Mag
The 6.7L uses a Garrett single sequential turbo (SST) with variable geometry, a dual-scroll exhaust housing, and an externally actuated wastegate. This turbo has a pair of compressor wheels that are coupled together on a single shaft driven by the turbine wheel. The design is said to dramatically increase the compressor map's range and functions like a sequential twin-turbo system. The boost pressure will be around 30 psi, the turbine shaft speed will see up to 130,000 rpm, and the whole system was designed to function as an exhaust brake. The compressed air will be cooled by an air-to-water intercooler-another first in this segment.
And from our own Painted Horse on another forum HERE:

It's all symantics. Whether you have a butterfly valve in your down stream exhaust pipe or a turbo that restricts the exhaust so it can't exit. The systems slow the exit of exhaust and cause back pressure on the pistons which causes braking to the drive line.

The difference in the terminalogy just reflects where the exhuast is restricted. The effect is basically the same, Back pressure on piston, creates a braking pressure as the piston compress the exhaust gas that was not expelled.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That clears it up for me

Old 09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Chase This!
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cabindoc
That clears it up for me
Quite a bit to take in for sure. Thanks for all the knowledgeable posts.

B

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Whiteline
Senior User
My truck is about 8500lbs, add in any additional passengers, So with 4 horses and 4 riders in the truck, the truck will be 9400-9500lbs, add the trailer at 13,000 and the total is 22,000 to 23,000 lbs

One of thngs that I find very interesting, Is that my #4 pyros temps really climb when I'm engine braking.It often is almost double or triple the #1 pryos temps during the down hill grade. any ideas why?
It is interesting that you noticed this as well, I saw it but I had know idea why it was like that. I don't do a lot of heavy towing and even less with big grades here on the prairies so it was tough to replicate.

I was watching the back egt temp to see when I was regening. Seems I've got more questions than answers now that I've watched that for a couple of trips.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
DrewF
Senior User
What product are you guys using to get EGT temps? Or did you install additional EGT gauges?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Whiteline
Senior User
Originally Posted by DrewF
What product are you guys using to get EGT temps? Or did you install additional EGT gauges?

My boss bought me a DashDaq XL to keep an eye on things. Plus he knows I like toys like that. It's just for the gauges I don't have any programming mods. I love that thing, there are lots of parameters that can be monitored.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Break???