1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody here like Tractors? Ot but ford

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Any tractor is dangerous. I cannot tell you how many close calls I've had over the years. The calcium fluid in the rear wheels helps. And obviously a roll bar and seat belt are good ideas. But I am telling you, at any point in time, there's about 14 different ways to die instantly when operating one. My Kubota has all the things like calcium, rollbar, etc. I turned a corner too sharply with a hay bale on the front about a year ago. I witnessed the left front come off the ground about 2 feet instantly. My life flashed before my eyes. Get the best and safest thing you can afford. Because most tractors end up being a lifetime deal.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc

Now to my other point. And this might upset the Ford faithful here. The 8N's and 9N's are wonderful tractors. Hell they made a zillion of the things way back when. BUT, if you plan on using it to plow a vegetable garden or do something else at a very slow speed, they just simply are not equipped to do so. They're just not geared to slow down enough to do a good job at tasks like that. I say this from direct experience. Otherwise, they're good tractors if you want to use it to scrape a driveway or pull a hay wagon, etc.
I would agree except I had an 8N with the Howard Rotavator Speed Reduction Transmission. By engaging a lever, it provided a 3.5 gear reduction for all 4 gears.

I loved the 8N due to its simplicity, ease of maintenance, and excellent handing over hilly terrain; parts are still readily available. It did have some problems like poor rear axle seals that will leak fluid onto the brakes and the lack of a live PTO. I installed an overrunning clutch for safety.

I completely restored that tractor and hated to sell it when I moved from Virginia. There is something about sitting on an old tractor and doing some “man’s work”, even if it’s only cutting grass. God, I miss that tractor.

There may be a little “Green Acres” in all of us.

P.S. I also purchased a Belarus tractor. Please don’t ask about it!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Ya need to keep in mind this thing was made to PULL airplanes around on a airstrip. I have seen and driven these but never seen one with a loader bucket. Would be fun to look at but limited usefulness unless you need to turn around your B52
As far as the 8 and 9 n's they were popular because they were cheap and easy to get parts for and work on. Many car and truck parts fit the 8 and 9 n tractors. They were not really much of a tractor. Not much power and everything wore out quickly. Case, IH,John Deere, and others were a much better tractor and lasted many times longer.
That being said it would be cool to have around.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks guy's; lots of good advice here. it is a cool old tractor but I guess I should have more space before I get one... I only saw it becasue of the flathead V8 in it. and I don't really have the extra 1100 laying here, and if so would be better spent elsewhere anyway...

don't have a B52 but could tug my f-6's around with it

Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That unit should have a build tag on it somewhere. Maybe a wagner loader conversion. Not a tug at all, loader specific. I've looked at least 3 of those units over the years, and most were rusting hulks that were priced at about $2,000 The hydraulic cylinders are power up only, gravity down. NOt very good at digging, need practice doing that. Good at scooping loose piles.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
chriscris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love em

For that price, you may not be able to beat it, but for around double, you sure could. It still is a cool machine, and the flattie helps.

they really come in handy!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Can anyone tell me the overall width of an 8N? I'm looking at getting a tractor, too, but only for pushing back my snow piles from the plow truck, and for lifting cabs and engines, and such. I'm hoping to find one that'll fit between my house and garage, yet lift the weight of about 800-1000#

Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM
chriscris
Senior User
This should help.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
thanks, that gives me the dimensions. has anyone used one for lifting old car bodies and cabs with a front loader/snowbucket?

IE, lifting capacity, and would it be too small to even reach to get a car body off of a frame?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
chriscris
Senior User
Just yesterday I lifted the cab off my 1 ton frame, with recovery straps (didnt take a pic), but I have another all set to lift, and will document this one.
Worked very well, helps to have another person to control 'swaying'.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Me too. I've lifted things a LOT heavier than a car body with mine. My old Massey Ferguson will also lift a lot of stuff with a boom pole on the rear 3 point hitch. The only problem with lifting from the rear is you don't have as much lift capacity and it's very hard to lift something like that high enough. If you are seriously wanting to lift and move a lot of stuff, definitely get a front end loader.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
yeah, I am an old tractor guy. Been playing with the old Fords since about 1980. Restored a couple dozen or so. Currently have an 850, 8N, and an IHCC122, along with a modern Deere. Buy that thing pictured, especially if it has an Elinco front wheel drive addition.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
Can anyone tell me the overall width of an 8N? I'm looking at getting a tractor, too, but only for pushing back my snow piles from the plow truck, and for lifting cabs and engines, and such. I'm hoping to find one that'll fit between my house and garage, yet lift the weight of about 800-1000#
The standard wheels and rims on the N series, most tractors, are adjustable so to give different widths. The N series go from 76" down to 48" center of tire to center of tire. Depending on tire size, add additional 4" to 6" per tire width. Be aware that many wheels have been replaced with non adjustable type. The N does not make a very good loader tractor, IMO, lack of powersteering.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Point taken on the power steering.

I'm not too picky on make or model, I'm just trying to find something with a wide front that's not to big to fit between my house and garage. I'm an IHC guy, but could go Ford, too. Anything less than $2000 is ideal.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Would something like this fit? All you need is a T chassis and some wheels.

Quick Reply: Anybody here like Tractors? Ot but ford