Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't laugh but you can free those frozen U-joints.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Dreamkiller...

I see you looked at your rep. LOL
I was going to see if any one caught that

Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
4wd front U-joints binding, dry, clacking, causing wheel jerk? , try this; (It works). 1. Go to an empty parking lot with a full can of penetrating oil, turn your wheels to lock, spray joints, go in a circle spray etc etc etc, change directions repeat, repeat, repeat. or 2. Tear a 1' strip of old towel 1" wide, soak it in ATF, run them through you joints and tie the ends so they don't come out and drive like that for a couple days and start by making some tight turns.

My joints were creaking, jerking the wheel big time, etc, 2 years ago and after rejuvenating them with this fix (just took the first one but was slightly better after fix # 2) they have been like new ever since.
Can you explain this a little further. Call me the village idiot but I dont fully understand what you did to accomplish the re-greasing.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Double post.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Runner
Can you explain that a little further. Call me the village idiot but I dont fully understand what you did to accomplish the re-greasing.
When you spray the penetrating oil onto the joints repeatedly while turning in a tight circle it will work it's way into the joints enough to turn the dried grease into a liquid that is fully capable of lubricating the joints. The same goes for the rag strips soaked in light oil. It saturates the joint and works it's way into the needles where it supplies moisture to the dried grease in there. Dry grease is worthless but it becomes very useful once it is liquified. My joints were jerking the steering wheel to the point where I could barely drive it and they were creaking, crunching, and clacking but they have been very smooth for 2 years and the steering wheel problem is completely gone.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Sorry Brent, but this trick didn't work for me.
Kinda funny but I am trying to help a lot of people save a lot of money.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you are having some issues with your automatic hubs not realeasing! in 2wd mode the hubs are unlocked and they will not spin the front axles. when the hubs are set to lock they will turn the axles, and if the ujoints are siezed you will feel the wheel jerk. I`m not going to argue about your fix, because obviously it has worked for you, but it goes against the design of the ujoints. then again water isn`t supposed to get in to rust up the needle bearings either so go figure!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Sounds like you are having some issues with your automatic hubs not realeasing! in 2wd mode the hubs are unlocked and they will not spin the front axles. when the hubs are set to lock they will turn the axles, and if the ujoints are siezed you will feel the wheel jerk. I`m not going to argue about your fix, because obviously it has worked for you, but it goes against the design of the ujoints. then again water isn`t supposed to get in to rust up the needle bearings either so go figure!
I understand what you are saying but I WAS having trouble with one of the hubs not releasing which I corrected after the u-joint problem was fixed, now they work fine locked or unlocked. You axles can turn even though the hubs are unlocked if there is too much friction on the stub shaft also (for various reasons). I can see why water can get into the bearing since it can get into just about anything which is same reason the light oil gets into the needles. I guess it is the osmosis phenomenon.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Frozen joints

I'm willing to give it a try, but first I need to thaw them out.

Thanks Brent for tolerating my foible.

Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I'm willing to give it a try, but first I need to thaw them out.

Thanks Brent for tolerating my foible.
Nothing like frozen u-joints for breakfast.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM
alabamabuddog
Elder User
Im wondering here. Do the U joints not have grease fittings in them? and Why wouldntyou just keep them greased ?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by alabamabuddog
Im wondering here. Do the U joints not have grease fittings in them? and Why wouldntyou just keep them greased ?
I think the original's from the factory didn't have them. Just like those ball joints.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by alabamabuddog
Dam, I forgot about those zerk fittings, I should have just greased them.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the rag soaked in atf idea! I keep a spray bottle with old atf in it to lube things all the time. It's good stuff.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
I like the rag soaked in atf idea! I keep a spray bottle with old atf in it to lube things all the time. It's good stuff.
Glad to see that we agree on something

Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EXv10
Glad to see that we agree on something
I don't totally disagree with you about the 285s. Larger tires, in general, put more of a strain on a drivetrain. My argument is only that the jump from 265s to 285s is so small that it's hard to point fingers with drivetrain wear. And the lower rpms at a certain speed can prove to be beneficial to some. I do retract what I said about the extra tire weight carrying momentum after realizing all Exes have auto trannies that unlock when no throttle is applied. That being said - "It's all good."

Quick Reply: Don't laugh but you can free those frozen U-joints.......