Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 04:26 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Sorry, I did forget. I do apologize if I did offend anyone. I was mainly talking about any agency that does not value its customers. You appear to be very concerned. Thanks

Old 04-13-2003, 09:56 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly, I'm not associated with FTE or Superchips in any way except that I follow the site because of the excellent info and bought a SCMT from Ken because of his excellent attitude and the SUPER product it is...

I may be over reacting on Ken's behalf, but here goes anyway!

I would like to apologize to Ken for others impuning his service !
He has been forthright, impeccable, and honest in EVERY situation I've been involved in with him and the public post/handling of others has seemed nothing short of stunning in this day of McDonald's type service...

I REALLY get torqued when the good guys are slammed when they've done nothing but help !
How many of you work your tails off to do things the RIGHT way every day and have been slighted by the "boss" giving the rewards to the slacker 'politician' in your group?
You know, the one that talks the game well, but rarely scores or finishies a project without help?

Blasting Ken for something he did not build OR SELL to you is like blasting your favorite Wal Mart associate for a defective toy you bought there!
(Sorry again Ken - NOT comparing you to a WalMart associate )
(Just like getting in trouble for something your sister did)

I'm not starting an argument here!
just trying to put a little salve on the wound - Ken's one of the good guys !

Slamming Ken is like slamming our troops because you don't like war ! I don't like that war is NECESSARY sometimes, but I'll back the troops 1000%...
Who here has not HAD to spank their kids? The old adage that "it hurts me more than you" is never more true to a parent...

OK, am off my soapbox now, can we all be friends again !?!
Sorry Ken if I went too far !

Old 04-13-2003, 01:40 PM
jakedog
New User

I did not buy my microtuner from Ken I am not slamming ken or this site in anyway, I think this site is awesome and I enjoy reading the information Ken has. I talked to the people at superchip themselves and I got the impression that they felt that since only a few people had this problem it wasn't worth worrying about. They had the attitude take it or leave it. I know that the MPG on the overhead console isn't that big of a deal but it would be nice that it worked properly. Mine is about 1.5-2 miles off. Does anybody know if the diablo predator has the same effect on the overhead console

Old 04-13-2003, 02:07 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All chips and tuners have a similar effect on the overhead console (which was never very accurate to begin with)..... you can't blame Superchips for that one. If they can't resolve it the only option they have is "take it or leave it." Unfortunately, it sounds like you got someone with support with a bad attitude and I'm sorry to here that. The reality is they've gotten some new people in the last year or so that aren't the tech elite (some are, some aren't).

As to the store, we're in the north Atlanta area. Right now the web site and store are one corporate entity. MotorHaven will be incorporated as a seperate company in the next month....

No need for anyone to come to my rescue! I guess my point is if the dealer you purchase from can't provide service then perhaps a change is needed. Heck, right now I'm supporting customers of other Diablo dealers with no Power Stroke diesel knowledge! Its almost to the point where I want to send those dealers an invoice for my time!

Old 04-13-2003, 11:43 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Thumbs up Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Your in north Atlanta. I thought that I had better ask this in the forum instead of an E-mail. but if you could let me know the address of your store then I will be there this weekend and get the Diablo or the Super programer. I was planning on getting one any way. I might as well get one that supports this site. I have gained a lot of information here and its one way that I can give back to the people that run it.
I didn't want to E-Mail until I know that I had permission for that. I imagine that you hate the spam and crap that comes in the mail. I know I do.
God Bless our Troops"

Old 04-14-2003, 06:51 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

The online store operates from my home. We've converted the basement to a 4 desk office area and the garage to the inventory area (half is built into a room with shipping area and book/CD-ROM inventory and the other half houses shelves full of parts such as exhausts/downpipes/sheet metal/tuners/bumpers/restoration parts (plus the tuners) area. Because of this, you'll need to call for my address --- I don't post my home address on a site with as many visitors as FTE has. Also, keep in mind that we're not open for business on the weekends.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Talking Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

I do understand not posting on the site. I was asking for permission to E-Mail you. Or if you like you could send it to me. It really doesn't matter. You do a lot of work keeping the site going and I would rather spend my money with somebody that does give back somthing, It seems that you spend a lot of time working the site.
Thanks for all of your hard work:

God Bless Our Troops:

Old 04-14-2003, 10:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Ooppss... I forgot the number. 770-806-1955. You can email me at service @ motorhaven.com (take the spaces out). Look forward to talking to you!

Old 05-09-2003, 08:23 AM
t_j82
Elder User
Angry Just Used SuperChip Supertuner

Just returned a superchips to the ford dealer where I bought it. In the 60-80hp programs my pyrometer would go to 1400 degrees (or higher if I didn't back off the throttle) even though I was the only thing in the truck. This would happen on heavy acceleration. When I returned it a mechanic "left" a new memo from ford on my seat while he was doing some warranty work.

I read the memo when I got home and the upshot is that ford is trying to lower costs by limiting what it will allow under warranty. Therefore, if you have a motor failure, or any related part AND you have a tuner,exhaust,air filter (other than stock) the failure will most likely be REFUSED under warranty. The mechanic and service dept HIGHLY suggested that I remove the tuner (even though they sold it to me), and since it was creating such high temps I agreed. The 7.3 is about 10k to replace and has a 100k warranty which in my opinion is alot to risk for 80hp. I also had an AFE filter and after following the directions to the letter noticed it allowed dirt in the airbox. I was informed by the service dept that if I had a turbo failure the first thing the ford rep would look at is the airbox and entry of the turbo. If there was other than stock airfilter the warranty work would be denied.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:06 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

This is the first case I've seen of a 4" exhaust with a high flow filter causing 1400 degree EGTs with a Microtuner. I don't see reports of 1250, much less 1400 with a configuration like that. There's no way the 60HP setting will do that unless you have a problem with the truck that's causing it to dump excessive fuel.

Any possibility you can fax that memo to me? If the dealer wrote it, depending on the wording, they may be breaking the law.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM
rmilchman
Elder User

My dealer in Princeton, NJ read me the same riot act. I had an oil leak (which they fixed), but said due to my intake and the tuner (which I removed before having the truck serviced) they did not have to cover anything under warrenty (they ended up covering the work).

Old 05-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Kalven
New User

I have the 80 hp program installed in an early 99 F-350 drw 4x4 Super cab.I have 3.5" downpipe and 4" straight pipe with K&N filter.I could hit 1175 degrees and 16 lbs boost when it was stock.Hauled a farm tractor with tuner installed and hit 1250 once most time stayed between 1100 and 1200 degrees on hard pull.Boost could run as high as 27 lbs.On flat ran 950 degrees and 12 to 14 lbs boost.Milage is alot better than a 454 gas.Sorry to be so windy . P.s. love the way it runs!

Old 05-10-2003, 07:46 AM
t_j82
Elder User

Sure Mr. Payne I can fax it to you. It is not from the dealer, it is from Ford to all dealers and service managers. E-mail me a fax number and I will send it. This is how I got 1400+ degrees of temp. I had the tuner installed but the trans shifted sloppy. I was in for some warranty work and they flashed the computer with an updated program to firm up the shifts (supposedly new from Ford). After that I reprogrammed to the 80 hp setting and installed the stock airfilter as requested by service. I then got the temp readings. I undid everything except my 4" pipes and no more high temps. I re-set to 60 hp and I was back to high temps again. At this point the service dept told me that they had seen at least 4 motors "dusted" due to the tuner and if anything happened to mine I would most likely have to pay for it myself as Ford has stated they will not. Since I do not have 10 grand to buy a new motor for my '02 I handed them back the tuner and got a refund which they were more than happy to give me. (Side note) At the bottom of the memo from Ford it says any dealer that sells these aftermarket parts may be liable for repairs if damage occurs so I can see why they were so happy to get it back.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Rowdy
Freshman User

Originally posted by t_j82
Just returned a superchips to the ford dealer where I bought it. In the 60-80hp programs my pyrometer would go to 1400 degrees (or higher if I didn't back off the throttle) even though I was the only thing in the truck. This would happen on heavy acceleration. When I returned it a mechanic "left" a new memo from ford on my seat while he was doing some warranty work.

I read the memo when I got home and the upshot is that ford is trying to lower costs by limiting what it will allow under warranty. Therefore, if you have a motor failure, or any related part AND you have a tuner,exhaust,air filter (other than stock) the failure will most likely be REFUSED under warranty. The mechanic and service dept HIGHLY suggested that I remove the tuner (even though they sold it to me), and since it was creating such high temps I agreed. The 7.3 is about 10k to replace and has a 100k warranty which in my opinion is alot to risk for 80hp. I also had an AFE filter and after following the directions to the letter noticed it allowed dirt in the airbox. I was informed by the service dept that if I had a turbo failure the first thing the ford rep would look at is the airbox and entry of the turbo. If there was other than stock airfilter the warranty work would be denied.
So I guess this answers my question about the air filter. I asked it a few times "before" I made the change this weekend but never got a YES, it will void your warranty. I also guess I'll be putting the stock factory air box and filter back on as I don't have $$$$$$ for a new engine either. I further guess this post answers my questions about any chips or tuners also. Gee, I was just getting used to the new found sound I got with the home made air set up. Anyone want to buy a new Napa filter, clamp and 4" pipe?

Old 05-12-2003, 08:38 AM
t_j82
Elder User

This is a portion "verbatim" from the memo I found on my seat. The first paragraph states a position which reads:

To: ll Ford and Lincoln Dealer Principals and Service Mgrs.
Subject: Ford Motor Warranty Coverage Clarification

The ford motor company position on vehicle modifications
We all want to do the right thing for our customers and for the FMC-that is why it is important to have a clear policy whith regard to warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the warranty policy is clear-we back our products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in workmanship and/or material. However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified,the modifications mat affect warranty coverage. This is because damage or failures of the new vehicle components CAUSED by modifications to the vehicle are not ARE NOT defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

This next section was highlited by someone at the dealership:

Ford motor co will be updating the 2004 model year warranty information booklets woth additional language to clarify this information to owners.

TYPICAL MODIFICATIONS THAT MAY CAUSE WARRANTY DENIAL
Some non-ford mods that may cause damage to the vehicle for which warranty protection might be denied include:
Power chips or unauthorized re-programming of the module that modify the original powertrain calibrations, supercharger or turbo-charger installations, under drive pullys to engine front accessory drives, trans shift kits, low restriction air intake and filter systems, low restriction exhaust systems, Nitrous Oxide systems (gas engines) and Propane systems (diesel engines), final drive axle ratio changes,a;terations to fuel systems and wiring harnesses.

Warranty Denial
Although the install if these non-ford parts and aftermarket mods, by themselves will not void the warranty, failures of the vehicle's engine or transmission or other components that are the result of these parts and/or mods may result in a denial of warranty for the ford component that failed or the damage that results.

The last paragraph tells the dealer that if they sell the parts they may be liable for the warranty repairs if any occur.

I was also told that ford is now getting very aggressive about denials in order to save $$$$$$.

Quick Reply: Just Used SuperChip Supertuner