Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Upgrading Injectors...What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
garsm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Injectors...What to buy?

I had an injector malfunction which is now causing me to completely rebuild my engine. Anyway, I am looking to get performance injectors. Nothing crazy but I would like 50-100hp more out of them. What company makes good injectors like that. Should I get new ones or rebuilt? I see that most upgraded injectors are single shot, is that compatable with my split shot truck? Also, what companies should I stay away from?

One more question, I am not looking to upgrade my turbo yet but would that high performance compressor wheel be a good or bad Idea with better injectors?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Stage 1's from Swamps (advertised as 175/146), Rosewood (160/0%), or Full Force (160/0%) and the accompanying tuning.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Peter@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
As mentioned the suppliers above can provide injectors and alot of folks do remans. If your budget permits new, then by all means buy new but dont be afraid of remans from a reputable injector supplier who will stand behind them.

If you go to singles you will need custom tuning on a chip for the single shot injectors. I would recommend singles for sure.

To get the full benefit of the custom tunes and the new injectors you should consider a turbo upgrade to at least something similar to a Garrett Ball Bearing turbo or equivalent and do not over look the HPOP. I recommend datalogging your ICP and IPR duty cycle now and then after you install new injectors to see where you are for a baseline and then go from there.

The problem is you affect other things as you go up in hp so to get the 100 hp increase will require other things like turbo, fuel system, trans upgrades, high pressure oil as the main issues. However, 50 hp increase is much easier to obtain without spending as much money so it just depends on what your budget is and how much you want. Good Luck to you.

Forum Technical Support
www.dp-tuner.com
Use PM's to reach me!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say a set of NEW Alliant AC injectors... Will get your right at 350-370RWHP.

If you want a bit more then that then have a set of 100% nozzles installed on them. Then your looking at a 400hp injector set up.

The Wicked Wheel is not a high performance wheel, it just helps to control surge. In reality it moves slightly less air then the stock wheel.

A 1.00 exhaust housing would be about the best thing for the stock turbo, but you would be much better off saving your pennys and getting a 38R over wasting any further money on the stock turbo.

To run the single shot injectors these guys and myself are mentioning you will need to install a chip tuned for the single shot injectors.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Peter@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
As Joe said, I would have hesitations about spending any more money on the stock turbo. I installed the new housing on my stock turbo but there is really no performance gain from the housing or a new wheel. They just help with EGTs and surge/stall respectively. They are good mods for what they are intended to address but from a performance stand point, there are better ways to spend money.

How is the engine rebuild coming along?

Forum Technical Support
www.dp-tuner.com
Use PM's to reach me!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
damons
Elder User
I just upgraded to the Full Force Stage 1's and I am happy thus far. Call Clay at RiffRaff Diesel, he'll hook you up.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Honestly, the 38R ball bearing turbo is at the lowest price I've ever seen it. The great thing is that it pairs well with stock injectors and all but the largest aftermarket injectors. Now would be the time to do it. Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38R Ball Bearing Turbo
For injectors I run Full Force Stage 1's and am very happy with them Riffraff Diesel: Stage 1 Single Shot Injectors
You can also go brand new Alliant 'AC' as Joe mentioned. Riffraff Diesel: New Alliant Stock Injectors

Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 PM
strokeorcroak
Junior User
All companies make there claims... Its hard knowing how each runs until you've tried them. I am wanting to try a set of Swamps injectors next. Ive had Casserly's and Jim Rosewood's and dont have a single complaint about either of them.

If your looking to spend money once and have a little more power than stock, go with BRAND NEW AC injectors. No Reman can replicate a brand new injector and the AC's are good for a pretty nice power increase

Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I would say a set of NEW Alliant AC injectors...If you want a bit more then that then have a set of 100% nozzles installed on them.
I too like the above setup.

I put new AC in my F250, and the only regret I have is not going with 100% nozzles. When I have the cash, I'll pull my sticks and have them renozzled.

A 1.00 exhaust housing would be about the best thing for the stock turbo
That's what I put on my Ex back in '06 when I set it up to be the main tow rig. I put BDP's (Bean's Diesel Performance) housing on, along with a wicked wheel as a preventive measure, so I wouldn't encounter any surge.

I now have a 38R in my garage waiting to go on the Ex.

Stewart

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
garsm
Senior User
The rebuild isnt being rebuilt yet. I have the motor completely apart and the block is sitting in line at the machine shop to be bored. I like what rosewood has to offer with the premium rebuild injectors. I think I am either going to get stage 1 or 2. I really dont want to spend the money on a good turbo so I better stick to stage 1 but will consider it. Does it become a pita to always have to have the tunning for single shot injectors? What other upgrades should i do to the motor while I have it apart. Like I said im not looking to make 500hp. I really just want to be above 300 maybe as far as 350.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New ac codes sound good. That's what I went with and am happy. For now! What happened to your motor, broken nozzle?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by garsm
The rebuild isnt being rebuilt yet. I have the motor completely apart and the block is sitting in line at the machine shop to be bored. I like what rosewood has to offer with the premium rebuild injectors. I think I am either going to get stage 1 or 2. I really dont want to spend the money on a good turbo so I better stick to stage 1 but will consider it. Does it become a pita to always have to have the tunning for single shot injectors? What other upgrades should i do to the motor while I have it apart. Like I said im not looking to make 500hp. I really just want to be above 300 maybe as far as 350.

Its not a pain at all...

350hp is very fun to drive, and your not likely to break anything at that power level.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
garsm
Senior User
Originally Posted by bulla
New ac codes sound good. That's what I went with and am happy. For now! What happened to your motor, broken nozzle?
What will the ac codes do? And yes my motor races and part of the injector tip blew into the cylinder. Heres a pic of my pain haha

Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM
garsm
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Its not a pain at all...

350hp is very fun to drive, and your not likely to break anything at that power level.
Thats exactly what I was thinking! and not too pricy either because the motor doesnt need to handle 700 horse

Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM
damons
Elder User
Where is the pic, am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Upgrading Injectors...What to buy?