1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 f150 351w emissions stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Jerzy01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Pennsylvania pre-ODBII (that is, pre-1996) vehicles are visual inspection only unless you live in the Philadelphia region. The necessary equipment needs to be present, appear to work and not be tampered with. There is no tailpipe test except for Philly. But like I said, vehicles driven under 5000 miles are exempt.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 86ford94
Currently it is down to bear headers with no catalytic converter or anything. Obviously I will fix this asap. I've got my Chilton's book out and I have the diagram for my engine. So now like you said, Gary, I just need to know what I need to pass.
I hope you have a cat available as they are expensive. Around here I'm getting $40 for ones for these trucks and they'll pick them up. Am told I can get much more by taking the catalyst out and selling it.

I could ship one from here, but then there's the weight. And, I have the exhaust manifolds but they are really heavy so I'm sure they would cost a fair amount to ship. On the other hand, if you need the AIR pump, diverter valve, manifold, and associated plumbing we already have some weight.

While I've shipped several things I haven't shipped anything heavy so don't have a handle on what it would cost. If you are interested in a package deal we can see what it would take. On the other hand, you may be able to go to the junk yard and pull the stuff yourself after we figure out what you need, and thereby save a bunch on shipping.

Anyway, you've already discovered the beauty of FTE - people like Chris who know whereof they type. And maybe roadrash will chime in and we might get the PA inspection perspective.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerzy01
In Pennsylvania pre-ODBII (that is, pre-1996) vehicles are visual inspection only unless you live in the Philadelphia region. The necessary equipment needs to be present, appear to work and not be tampered with. There is no tailpipe test except for Philly. But like I said, vehicles driven under 5000 miles are exempt.
So, OP, are you in Philly?

Yes, please go to User CP and finish filling out your Profile, it makes this kind of stuff LOTS easier for us here, OK? Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
ctubutis
AFAIK cats can be installed with headers, but it'll require two.

This brings up a point - if the original engine was EFI then there would have been an O2 sensor.

But I don't think those were listed on that sticker BUT I don't know that for certain, I believe those were categorized as Operational and not Exhaust Emissions.

This is why you can't find any HVAC vacuum connections on those stickers (which list vacuum hose routing).

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
86ford94
New User
I'm from Orrtanna, Pa far from Philly.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
All - 86ford94 sent me an email asking about pricing since he can't PM. Here's what I told him he needs, sans the pricing. PLEASE let us know if you agree or disagree.

And, FWIW, I did tell him this is the stuff that is missing, but just re-installing it does not mean his truck will pass PA emissions testing as I don't know what the inspector is looking for.
  • 2 exhaust manifolds: You could use your headers if you can get someone to make a Y to join the two sides, or go with duals and 2 catalysts
  • A Y to join the two sides hard to ship as it is an odd size
  • A catalytic converter, or if going true duals then 2 converters
  • Exhaust system and muffler(s), but get them locally
  • AIR pump, belt, hose, tubing, diverter valve, and manifold to heads
  • EGR valve that goes below the carb. However, if your intake manifold has a place for EGR valve you need the one that goes there I need to know which one
  • TAB & TAD relays, actually solenoids, that were used to control things like the AIR diverter valve, EGR, etc. These mount on the driver's fender on an '85 HO.
  • A smattering of vacuum lines, check valves, etc

Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM
ctubutis
Don't forget the EVAP stuff.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Oh yes. Good call! Tnx.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

And, FWIW, I did tell him this is the stuff that is missing, but just re-installing it does not mean his truck will pass PA emissions testing as I don't know what the inspector is looking for.
I think it's worth a lot!

When I first bought my truck, I knew absolutely zero about this stuff.

Colorado is set up such that 1981 & older vehicles can still go to independently-owned emissions check stations, of which there are still a handful. Newer vehicles need to go to a state-run inspection station.

The first independent guy I went to looked at the under-hood sticker, then at the engine, and pointed out that I didn't have an AIR pump and I therefore couldn't pass.

But because I paid full price for the check, he was obligated to do the sniff test, which he did and I passed! Intentional vacuum leaks can be a good thing sometimes.

Anyhow, called the PO who sent me to a different station up way north of me.

This guy did pretty much the same thing but he explained the laws to me, how things need to appear to be functional and how he can't touch anything, etc. etc. etc.

This guy also builds car in his shop and offered to sell me various non-emissions-related parts which I also needed.

Overall he's a good guy but kinda weird; he's a Vietnam veteran and goes on & on about world politics & GWB's oil business, and he's got a body bag hanging on the wall of his shop with a sign eluding to the number of guys killed in wars.

Anyhow, that is my experience with emissions inspectors with the truck.

Whether or not it's that easy for the OP or not, I can't say.

IMHO the OP should go to junk yards to look & learn. Not only trucks but also cars of this era as well as prior. Look at the devices, the vacuum hose routing & connections, the colors of the devices, the number of nipples & ports they have, stuff like that cuz that's what he needs to make his truck look like (assuming he can find anything this old that's still in decent enough shape to learn from).

I also think he should verify what was said above, about no sniff test required and something about 5,000 miles (I think). Might be on the state's Web site, might be easier to just call an inspection station and ask questions (or the place where you get license plates, they might also know). Just to verify before beginning this, cuz this is gonna take a fair bit of doing...........

Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Chris - Amen! I fully agree about the junk yard visit. In fact, I suggested that in my email. I can ship him all this stuff but it isn't going to be like a kit with instructions. If I hadn't disassembled three 351W's in the last year with essentially the same emissions system on them I wouldn't know where the stuff is supposed to go. But, if I took copious pictures as I took it off then I'd know.

On top of that, it would have to be cheaper since shipping is gonna be a bear. And, I have to price in my time for having pulled, cleaned, stored, and then boxed the part, which he wouldn't have if he pulled it.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM
86ford94
New User
Thanks guys so much for you help.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
ctubutis
Hey, 86ford94, do you have the ability to take some close-up pictures of your engine and post them here?

This should help:

User Gallery & Picture Display Help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 AM
86ford94
New User
I might be able to do that.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 86ford94
I might be able to do that.
Good idea. You may have some of the emissions stuff still on there and just have to connect it.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
my experience

hey
i put a 69 351w in my f150.
no holes in the head for emissions.... oops i knew it just did it anyways...
anyways my mechanic told the like previous posters that its a visual insp only of smog crap.

they look for:

egr-i dont have one right now it bolts on under the carb so i just put the stock air cleaner over it...

cats - i actually have these 2 b/c i have dual exhaust.

air pump- mine was frozen so i got one from a junk yard...74 lincoln
40.00 never use it just spin once in a while to make sure it dont freeze

pvc valve-got one of these too

im not sure if they look for the relays my were shot rusty etc.
so i just removed them completely and tried to blend in the area where they were.

no evap can either

the biggest thing is do you have the bracket for the smog pump ?

its the first thing they will look at!

you will get brownie points for having a belt on it and its actually turning

i dont have a smog sticker either they dindnt care looks like everything is there

best bet ask around for a garage thats not to strict on smog.

back in the 80's when i was still living in ca.i just took em it to a used car lot gave the guy 20.00 and the price of the insp.

remember appearance is everything.
good luck

Quick Reply: 1986 f150 351w emissions stuff