1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Oh, I thought when you swapped in the rear end they came with disc brakes.

Jim
They come both ways along with springs/air bags. It is an easy convert. Just swap out spindles with rotors & calipers along with parking brake cables. My rear came with the drums and for the price (I will pay for it now) I couldn't pass on my IRS. I got it for $225 less than the going rate here in central IN. Don't know yet on conversion costs. I will also be swapping in the Cobra hub assemblies giving me the large bolt circle on the rear that will match the front. That swap has to be done on any of the available MN12 IRS units if you want the larger bolt circle. Naturally using the Cobra IRS would avoid this conversion BUT they are few and far between. I had 1 guy say Mustang folks give them away to swap in 8.8's. The only 1 I found for sale was being "given away" for $1600. I have yet to find 1 in a salvage yard.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I seriously doubt you will find a Cobra IRS in the junkyards. Even if one should happen to show up, it would be gone the first day.

Jim

Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
I seriously doubt you will find a Cobra IRS in the junkyards. Even if one should happen to show up, it would be gone the first day.

Jim
Just saying I have yet to see one. Given they were only a few years that in itself makes it difficult. I have seen pics and really do like the look when compared to the IRS I used but we are now back to cost and availability. I always look for one just as a matter of principal.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Picked up my '57 Fairlane dash yesterday just south of Montgomery, AL. It is a bolt in so I am planning on cutting my dash at the base of the windshield & then putting mounting tabs in so I can bolt it in like the Fairlane. Make life easier if I should need to do serious work behind the dash someday. Will be posting pics soon. Pick up the new headers for the 460 install Monday.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

That is good news!

Jim

Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM
SeaBeeCm1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics would be nice ( of the dash )

Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SeaBeeCm1
pics would be nice ( of the dash )
I have some in the camera. After a week and half running around the countryside I can't find the cable to get them into the computer but that is one of my projects for today. Once the engine is finished I plan on doing the dash.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Pics of the dash. Here it is as purchased.

This is the plan for this area. The 2 idiot lights changed over to green and utilized as turn signal indicators. The PRNDL changed out for a correct display for the C6. The 2 switch wells painted to match the dash in the current blue areas. The left side will house from left to right ignition switch, headlight switch, emergency flashers. The right side will house HVAC controls. That is all the switches that will be in the dash. The speedo head will be modified to house 4 gauges.

This shot is of the left "wing". They are staying. I will cut them off where the door opens and attach the pieces cut off onto the inside of the doors.

The right "wing"

The glovebox door will be welded in along with the ashtray. The holes for the radio, clock & HVAC controls will be closed up. The hole in the top for the speaker will be closed up. I will create speaker mounts in each end of the top of the dash. One of the things I really like about this particular dash other that appearance is the defroster vent. It is all along the windshield. The trim piece that goes at the base of the windshield hides it letting air escape at the base of the windshield. I am also planning a long thin slit added to the bottom of the dash that will be utilized for HVAC vent instead of traditional louvers.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Blue Oval Farm Boy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, when you first mentioned using this dash I thought you may have lost it a little bit, but after seeing the pics and using my imagination along with your description, HOLY CRAP, this is going to look awsome. I really love when a dash wraps around the edges into the doors so this is gonna be great. Get the engine in place and get to work on the dash, or better yet, do the dash first, cause, I wanna see it!
David.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Wow, sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you on that dash. Should look awesome though once it is finished. The more I see of this thread the more I can't wait to get my F-100 so I can dive in and "make it mine" with mods of my own.

Jim

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Farm Boy
You know, when you first mentioned using this dash I thought you may have lost it a little bit, but after seeing the pics and using my imagination along with your description, HOLY CRAP, this is going to look awsome. I really love when a dash wraps around the edges into the doors so this is gonna be great. Get the engine in place and get to work on the dash, or better yet, do the dash first, cause, I wanna see it!
David.
Ok David just to set things straight the dash will look great when finished. At least that is what the voices in my head say. As to me not being all there the jury is still out on that one. The dash will be done in stages just like the truck. One of the things I try to maintain is being able to drive the truck. So many tear a vehicle down to the ground and build from there. There is nothing wrong with that but also a great way to lose interest as the time ticks away and funds run short. By doing what I am doing a young guy (or girl) can afford to do what many consider major mods and still be able to drive it. That way hopefully they don't lose interest and get it finished some day. Mine will get taken down to a bare frame when it is time for paint. By then I will have all the heavy fab work finished so down time should be kept to a minimum.

This is of course all theory but it has went well so far. I am itching to get the old dash cut out. I would love to at minimum have the '57 dash in by warm weather cruisin time.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Wow, sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you on that dash. Should look awesome though once it is finished. The more I see of this thread the more I can't wait to get my F-100 so I can dive in and "make it mine" with mods of my own.

Jim
Jim you are limited only by your own imagination. There are tons and tons of different builds that translate into the same for ideas. The dash swap started out as a simple mod by grafting the hump from a '61-'66 pickup & using the '65/'66 Custom Cab cluster. From there I got to looking around one day for something and tripped across a '56 pickup dash. I liked it so I figured I would bite the bullet and do a full dash swap. As I got looking more and more for what I do not remember I came across the '57 Fairlane and that was the one. When I have spare time I go looking for things like taillights maybe finding something I think will look better than what's there.

When you get your truck keep it fun & have fun with it. I am seriously considering going for a cover truck. The farther down the road I get the more I consider going all out on detailing the thing (making it perty from any angle). Old Ford trucks seem to be popping up everywhere on tv. Music videos, commercials, etc. It's a great time to own an older Ford pickup!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yepperz, that is why I can't wait. Haven't had a project vehicle in a long time, and am itching to get at it.

Jim

Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Got some engine swap pics today. I ordered headers for a '74 F100 2WD 460 pickup. In this first pic the engine is sitting on the CV crossmember. The headers dump into the firewall. Engine needs to go down at least 3". Rear sump pan required or totally custom fabbed headers. I am opting for the rear sump pan.

Truck's new hat?

Spare parts?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

That is going to be one killer truck with a 460 under the hood.

Jim

Quick Reply: '70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build