1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F-250 Build-Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
My F-250 Build-Up

I'm a bit mod happy, and never quite seem able to leave my vehicles alone. Since I got me a new toy, I am creating this thread to document my ideas, and hopefully the realization of them. The PLAN is not to go overboard this time like the last 2 projects. Luckily the truck has a power adder already (turbo spool is addictive )

The truck

2006 Lariat CC with PSD
Donahoe Racing 4.5" Lift (before ICON bought DR)
35/12.5/18 BFG M/T's on Weld rims
11,400 miles (545 run hours) as of Oct 16, 2011
So here is my list:
1. Buy a badass CC Superduty with PSD - DONE
2. Lift truck 6+" - DONE
3. 35-37" mud tires - DONE
4. Performance Upgrades
4a. Custom Tunes by Matt @ Gearheads - DONE
4b. 3.5" MBRP Cat "Test Pipe" - DONE
4c. EGR Turned Off - DONE
4d. 4.56 gears
4e. True Trac rear, something up front
4f. Coolant Filter - DONE
4g. High Idle
4h. Fuel Tank Harpoon
4i. Zoodad - DONE
4j. 6.4 Banjo Bolts
4k. 70 psi Blue Fuel Pressure spring
4l. 3.5" MBRP Downpipe
4m. Glowshift Gauges (Fuel Press, Boost, EGT, Oil Press) - DONE
4n.
5. Visual Upgrades
5a. Ranchhand style bumpers
5b. Bushwacker Pocket Flares - DONE
5c. Recon Clearance Lights - DONE
5d. Grille Lights (hidden behind)
5e. Fix the lower bumper valance I ripped loose while stuck in mud
5f. DIY Harley Headlights - DONE
5g. Bed Toolbox - DONE
5h. 2009+ FX4 Stickers - DONE
5i. Step Marker lights
5j. 3 light marker under tailgate - DONE
5k.
6. Suspension Upgrades
6a. Dual Steering Stabilizers - DONE
6b.
7. Interior/Ease of Driving
7a. iSimple for factory radio or a cheap double din touchscreen with iPhone capability
7b. Backup Camera using OEM tailgate and mirror setup - DONE
7c. Replace Steering wheel
7d. Figure out what to plug into those upfitter switches?????
7e. Switch to 2010 Mustang key - 1/2 DONE...need to get Locksmith to cut
7f. 22" Windshield Wipers - DONE
7g. Roof mounted drop-down DVD player for rear seats
7h. Maglite Mounted to Seatbelt trim - DONE
7i.
8. Basic Maintenance
8a. Oil Change - Filter ordered...waiting to arrive
8b. Fuel Filter Change - DONE
8c. Air Filter Change - Not Needed
8d. EGR Cleaning
8e. Coolant flushed
8f.

If you guys/gals have any suggestions, please let me hear them. I've been reading the spreadsheets for New 6.0 owners and mods. Very good reading. Hopefully I can make good use of those.

Mods will come as the budget allows. I've got 4 kids, so I'm always looking for a bargain. Big stuff (like bumpers) has to wait until I can return to the Lower 48

Last edited by Tylus; 08-11-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Update list of stuff done
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well at least you're not going overboard this time !!

Sweet looking truck as it sits, Can't wait to see it progress!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've read in the past where people replaced the torque to yield head studs with ARP studs.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
4i should be GAUGES, LOTS OF THEM, then BulletProof oil cooler, EGR valve and cooler delete (you have delete and cleaning on your list?), stage 2 injectors and a bigger garrett turbo, and all the minor 6.0 stuff like CCV reroute, fuel press spring, and whatever else Bismic tells you to do. Then ARP head sutds if you blow the heads with all the new toys

Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
raidscsi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats with the Death-Wobble I keep reading about? I saw another user post a video of him hitting a decent sized pothole, and how he fixed it. Is this something common to all SD trucks? Or just the newer ones?

Also I suggest Front 2" hitch and a Winch mounted to a receiver plate so you can move it front or back, depending on how stuck the Chevy your helping is.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
4i should be GAUGES, LOTS OF THEM, then BulletProof oil cooler, EGR valve and cooler delete (you have delete and cleaning on your list?), stage 2 injectors and a bigger garrett turbo, and all the minor 6.0 stuff like CCV reroute, fuel press spring, and whatever else Bismic tells you to do. Then ARP head sutds if you blow the heads with all the new toys
I'm cleaning the EGR this weekend, and probably doing the delete in October when I get a bit more money. Also will finish researching who I want for my tuner and grabing another SCT #3000 for the tunes. Do it all in one big swoop

Gauges are on the list. Just don't know if I want a Scangauge or do the normal 2" round styles. Gotta shop around and see what all is available.

The list from Bismic is getting serious consideration. There is just so much to take in at one time.
Originally Posted by raidscsi
Whats with the Death-Wobble I keep reading about? I saw another user post a video of him hitting a decent sized pothole, and how he fixed it. Is this something common to all SD trucks? Or just the newer ones?

Also I suggest Front 2" hitch and a Winch mounted to a receiver plate so you can move it front or back, depending on how stuck the Chevy your helping is.
Never driven a stock F-250...so don't know if this affects them.

But with a Lift/Level and big tires, when you hit a pothole the front wheels go crazy. My M/T's flip out and the front end of the truck bounces like I'm offroading, steering wheel jerks back and forth. Only does it from 35-45 mph. It's my only complaint about the truck. Going today and hopefully 4WheelParts has a Dual Stabilizer in stock.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
Gauges are on the list. Just don't know if I want a Scangauge or do the normal 2" round styles.
I'm a big fan of the Edge Insight CTS, and it now has a fuel pressure senor to go with the EGT probe. It won't do some of the more random user programable codes the ScanGauge will, but IMO it looks a lot cleaner in the cab. DashDaq is another all digital setup. I looked at Autometer gauges too, I think it's one of the sport-comp line ups that might match the stock Ford dash look.

Here's the temps reading thread from the 6.0L forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pressure.html
There are a hundred threads about the scangauge, and digital vs analog gauges down there.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Wisebuck
Junior User
"death wobble" is common result of independant front suspension bouncing from worn or out of adjustment steering components. This situation is abused by oversize tires and suspension lifts. The fix can be as simple as maintain your trucks front end and doubling the steering stabilizer. Others with lifts and big tires driving chevs and jeeps complain of the same symptoms so it is not just a ford problem. Usually experienced at highway speeds after hitting a rut or hole or even an overhead separation. Scary when it happens the first time.
Main reason I bought a 2004 SD cause it still has front leafs!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice truck, Tylus.

Since the miles are low, and your list of mods is long, I would get the Edge Insight or Scangage ASAP before anything else. It is important to see the engine vitals, and learn the normal parameters, as early as possible. Then you'll be in a good position to see anything abnormal that happens as the miles pile up, and as the mods affect things.

In addition, I would move the coolant filter to the #2 spot on the list. Again, important to get ahead of the curve, and it doesn't cost much.

Next, high idle and harpoon, because they are free. Just takes a bit of your time.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Added a Fabtech Dual Steering Stabilizer today. Death Wobble seems to be cured. I'll know more after more driving. Just having a hard time intentionally hitting potholes to test her out.

and of course, leftover parts ...called Fabtech and they don't know why those are there either

Originally Posted by bpounds
In addition, I would move the coolant filter to the #2 spot on the list. Again, important to get ahead of the curve, and it doesn't cost much.
Things in my lists aren't necessarily in the order of preference. Just how they came to me.

I will look into the cooler filter tonight and see what I can do

Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I bought these goodies for the truck. My 08 Expy has the factory rear backup camera system. I like it so much, and the truck is so big I had to put one in it as well.
$170 for the mirror
$180 for the emblem camera, and the entire wiring harness
the emblem camera is for a 2009-current F-150, the mirror is a 2010+ Sync model (has a microphone). Going to put the mirror in my Expy (and wire to wifes Kenwood radio) and put the non-sync mirror into truck
waiting impatiently for the Post Office to deliever

Not bad if you ask me. I love eBay. You can get some sweet deals at times. This entire camera setup should be completely plug n' play. Just have to route it, get a hot wire and tap into the backup lights...also plan on wiring a diode and one of my upfitter switches so the camera can be used while driving down the road.

also ordered a set of red shock dust covers for the steering stabilizers. figured why not for $5?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 AM
HASBROUCK
Senior User
NICE!!! My next truck will be very non overbord i hope

Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I was reading that thread where you updated the front-end. You really should post up some more pics of the modifications you had to make. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who would attempt that if they had more info on the process

Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM
HASBROUCK
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
I was reading that thread where you updated the front-end. You really should post up some more pics of the modifications you had to make. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who would attempt that if they had more info on the process
Im gonna when i take it all off for paint within a week or two

Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

alright, got bored tonight after putting the kids to sleep. I'm 1/2 way to making my own Harley Lights. I like contrast, so I didn't go all black like the OEM ones are.

Drivers side is all done and the sealant is curing right now. I'll do the passenger side tomorrow night.

The DIY painting was just as easy as I remembered from my 2006 F-150. here is a teaser pic since it's dark outside and I can't install until the sealant cures anyways.

Quick Reply: My F-250 Build-Up