6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

F350 Rear Parking Brake Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Rear Parking Brake Sticking?

I searched the thread and could not find anything on this. I did find a TSB on calipers potentially sticking.

A few weeks back my rear drivers side wheel started smoking severly...when I stopped you could smell the brake material, feel the heat coming from the wheel, and lots of smoke. I speculated it was the parking brake that got hung up. I jiggled that cable around and then went around the block - no issue. Note: I did not leave the parking brake on.

It happened again a week later, but not as bad.

I took it into the dealer today. They said heat was evident as it burned off a sticker on the disk or caliper hsg area. They have not determined yet if it is parking brake or caliper???

Question: Has anyone had any brake sticking issues?

Brian

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How difficult is it for a dealer to pull the rotor and see if the parking brake shoes are burnt? That has to be less than a 30 minute job start to finish. I have seen plenty of hung Ford calipers, but never experienced any problem with the parking brake system even on manual transmission trucks where the parking brake gets abused more.

I would pull the rotor and take a look at the parking brake components if it were me, but you shouldn't have to do that as the truck is under warranty still.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Disc looks OK, dealer couldn't find anything wrong with park brake, tested numerous times, worked caliper tsb to full extent....

Well time to start using the park brake again.

Question how many use their park brake all the time?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Every day. My driveway is a hill and I frequently park in other areas that are sloped. I have always believed it isn't good to rest a vehicle on the transmission in park on a hill. Before I shift out of whatever gear I'm in (drive or reverse) I hit the parking brake then shift = weight settles on the brakes before the load is off the transmission.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Always. Habit.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm 50/50 on this. I use it all of the time in my truck but never use it in my cruiser. Just something I learned early on in my job because the brakes heat up pretty well in the Crown Vics. It used to be worse in the drum brake cars years ago but I've seen the parking brakes stick and not release.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
It's rare that I don't set the parking brake.
If I'm parked on a hill, I let the e-brake take the load so the transmission doesn't clunk when put into gear.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 AM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Uhlenhake
Disc looks OK, dealer couldn't find anything wrong with park brake, tested numerous times, worked caliper tsb to full extent....

always, i go to neutral, set the e-brake, than to park on the stick.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
I had an issue with my '07 F350 similar to this and I initially had thought it was the parking brake that was hanging up. It turned out to be the caliper. The braking system on these trucks is very robust and can deal with a lot of heat. Once the caliper was replaced no more issue.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2005 F250 and I assume the parking brake mechanism is the same as on your truck. My parking brake "Sticks" almost everytime I use it and then let the truck sit for a few hours. I have been told that there is a lever that moves into a wrong position inside the "drum" of the rotor. I find that when the brake is sticking, if I get the truck moving a few feet and then slam the service brakes on, the parking brake frees. I will take everything apart in the fall and fix it.

Has anyone out there had any luck removing rear rotors on these trucks without destroying the rotor? I need to pull the rotor to access the parking brake parts.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Ditto with others. My parking brake is used all of the time.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use mine everyday also, haven't noticed any problems.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I did some searching in the SD forum, and couldn't come up with much.

But I do remember numerous cases of sticking parking brakes in the F150 forums, and the consensus was that you should either use the brake frequently or not at all, as infrequent use lets things sieze up and bind.

Now I've never used my parking brake frequently, and I've never had it stick. But it's not uncommon to hear about.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Brian Uhlenhake

Brian. Parking brake has shoes inside the rotor.that you cannot see. it must be taken apart. working caliper aint doing squat.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
caddgeek
New User
Dragging em brake

My '08 F250 4x4 has chronically overheating rear brakes (mostly RR). I've narrowed it down to the emerg. brake shoes dropping down and rubbing against the drum (inside the rotor). As the shoes get progressively hotter, they expand. The drums can't expand as quickly (because the massive rotor restricts this) so the condition worsens until the brake seizes. The evidence is as follows:
1. Everything else works properly; cables, slides, calipers.
2. Backing-off the adjusters decreased the frequency and severity.
3. Banging on the levers and letting the brakes cool corrects the problem (temporarily).
4. The drum part of the rotor shows signs of being overheated (flaking rust).
5. The em. brake shoe linings are thinner at the bottom.
6. The shoes are able to move down far enough to contact the drum.
7. The drum surface gets way hotter than the rotor braking surface.
8. Applying the service brakes doesn't affect the problem.
9. Operating the em. brake has some effected on the problem and using it will usually cause the problem to reoccur.
All I need now, is to come up with a permanent solution.
IMHO this is either a design or manufacturing flaw. Good luck getting Ford to own up to it and fix it. The problem started after Ford adjusted the Em. Brakes during the truck first "free" service.

Quick Reply: F350 Rear Parking Brake Sticking?