Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Hedman Hedder install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
OK folks... So, this isn't quite over just yet. There have been a couple more emails between the last one I posted and now. And in the spirit of fairness, here's the latest response I received from my contact at Hedman.

davidc@hedman.com
8:35 AM (16 minutes ago)

I by-passed upper management, and have the owner involved, he is going to make sure you get handled. I will keep you posted on how fast we can get this corrected for you.
David
I never thought this warranty issue would drag out so long (there have been 38 emails back and forth since I first contacted Hedman's Technical Service department about the leaking collector joints back on July 5th), but I sincerely hope that the owner's involvement will finally resolve the problem.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I only had three emails. Art and AK must have paved the way.

I also think some credit is due to Dave of Hedman for trying to help us. The written warranty is hard to meet. But a few pictures and paying shipping on a new set is fair to me. As ar as fit... I can only hope they get this figured out. Otherwise they are worthless.
AK- my set is still in the making. Have them check them for fit to the gasket. I would think the same jig was used for yours, Arts and mine. Maybe they got something set wrong. Who knows.
But to be fair this is probably a new warranty claim they haven't delt with before. A group of V-10 owners who contacted each other and all at once have come foward.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
That's good news, hopefully you guys can get taken care of at the very least - I would still love to replace the one bad one I already have installed though, and if they are going to stop production to make another one-off, I guess I'll try to get mine remade too...

We'll see how this goes...

Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
I got another email from Hedman. It appears that the thicker collector material used to make the "bulletproof" headers needed more heat to weld, which caused them to warp as they cooled. They're constructing a better jig right now to better hold the headers as they cool. David said that this was a "top priority", and will update me as the process continues.

So it looks like Hedman is doing everything possible at this point to make things right. I am awaiting the results with guarded optimism.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Good news, haven't heard anything myself yet.

One note, when you do actually get to install them, the collector bolts are not long enough - the ends of the bolts don't even protrude through the collar.

And, do yourself a favor - use a thread chaser on the O2 bungs, 18x15mm I found one at Autozone that did the job.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
bakon
Elder User
Good to hear. Guess I will be waiting a little longer for mine.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM
bakon
Elder User
bump up- been a week and no email on my set.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
I haven't heard anything either. I'll shoot off an email Monday and see if I can get an update.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Heard back from Hedman this morning. Header is done - getting coated now. Should ship tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM
bakon
Elder User
I have not heard anything. Was told over a week ago the header was done but the y pipe wasn't. Who knows. Dont really care how long, as long as it fits.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
00XLT2WD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up! Definitely useful for those on the fence.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Lonman71
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job with the headers. I may try to tackle something like that soon. I have to say kudos on the post too. Lots of really valuable tips for the inclined but inexperienced DIYers like myself.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Got the new driver's side header today. The two manifold flanges are properly aligned on this unit. And, even though there's just a little extra space between them (maybe 3/32 of an inch), I don't think there's enough to cause problems with the install. The bolts easily drop through the gasket and into the holes on the flanges with no gasket distortion and no binding (which was not the case with the previous unit), so they should bolt up to the head just fine. Although... there are some marks on the end of the two-hole flange, like maybe it was tight on the jig and they had to smack it with a hammer to get it off? Or maybe it was simply dropped onto the concrete floor at some point? Either way, it definitely happened before it was coated, and there's a little burr/bump on the mating surface that I'll have to file off before I bolt it up.

Now, I just need to make time for the install. But, this weekend is already booked with twice as many pre-winter projects as I'll be able to finish. Hopefully I can get to it next weekend...? On the other hand, even though it's cold out, there's no snow on the ground yet. So, maybe I'll just have to find a way to squeeze it in this Saturday.

Anybody else get their new super-duper headers delivered yet? Krewat? bakon?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Nope, not me... haven't heard anything either. Will be sending an email today or tomorrow, time permitting.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
bakon
Elder User
I have not heard anything. At one point I did hear the headers were done but not y pipe. That was several weeks ago. I am not in a rush. Maybe email them tomorrow. Will be happy to get this fixed though. Sick of start up noise. Almost embarrassing at times, like look at that big old piece of crap....Figure maybe you got my set to get you straightened out first. My set was to be done before your fit problem came up. Glad it wasnt sent. Hope you get to them this weekend so we know its good.

Quick Reply: Hedman Hedder install w/pics