Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Got my 5S tuner and programs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:19 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Got my 5S tuner and programs

I've been saving my fuel tickets to see what kind of mileage I've been getting. I'm going to fill'er up with 89 (that's the tune I got) load the performance tune and see how it does. Can't wait. I'll figure out my average before the tune and try not to drive any different. Most of the time it's a 10 mile jot 4 times a day. I live close enough to go home for lunch.

Where can I go to learn more about the monitoring and what it is I'm seeing?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Data logging is an interesting thing, and there's no real "here's what you're looking at" type of thing. Research fuel trims and you can really get an inkling of what's going on in terms of lean/rich, etc.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, someone will help out

Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Thanks Art. I'll start there.
Checked out some of your articles. I can't see the pictures of the bed rug from work so I'll have to check it out and read it all the way later at home. Are you still using it?
I hope to get my V10 up to around 15MPG too. I ran the numbers and I'm getting about 12 right now. I may have hurt the numbers a little out of ignorance. I've been running 91 in the stock truck and I've read that may not be a good thing. I know I'm going to be tuned to 89 now so that's what I'm putting in it. I run 91 in my T-Bird so it was just a habit. Those big 428s would love more octane. When I rebuilt it I lowered the compression to around 9.5:1 and dialed it in for that. Of course my wife loves her T-Bird. It's her car and my engine. I need to get an album going.
What's the story about intakes? I see mention of PI and non-PI. I haven't done any real research on the changes through the years yet still trying to figure out what I have exactly. I saw someone refer to them as 99.5 does that mean they came out mid year of 99 like the 65.5 mustangs? What I do know is I think it's a real nicely set-up truck. Ford did a good job when they came out with the super duty.
I'll update how the tune went and get some new milage numbers as soon as I have some figures.

Thanks again,

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
hunt1moore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Mike at 5 Star the PI heads are the "preformanced enhanced" heads and yes probably 99.5 year meaning they changed from the non-PI "EGR" heads bout that time.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
How can you tell the difference and when did they change them? My truck is 5/99 production.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
barthel
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure when they changed them, but if you look at the side of the heads there's a part number and Ford code. If it ends in "PI" then you have the PI heads. If not, you don't.

BTW, congrats on the tuner Darren. You'll love it. I've only had mine for a month or two and I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by DarrellinCeres
Thanks Art. I'll start there.
Checked out some of your articles. I can't see the pictures of the bed rug from work so I'll have to check it out and read it all the way later at home. Are you still using it?
Bedrug: Yes, still have it in the bed with the cap on the back. It's in great shape, but I haven't used it for anything yet. I want to take the cap off and run without it for a while, but I don't want to get my bedrug dirty

The dog loves it, and it'll be great to camp in with an air mattress. The mattress on cold bare metal when the temps were in the 40's kinda sucked

What year is your truck?

Model year 2000-up 2-valves are the "PI" heads. Model year 99 is the non-pi heads.

Which means that they don't breath as well at high RPMs. You can do something about that, by putting PI heads and intake on it, which will also raise the compression a bit (a good thing, actually) and you can get a custom tune for that. Otherwise, you're pretty limited on high-RPM.

Or, just enjoy it as it is, and don't mess with it ...

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
hunt1moore
Senior User
Do you have an EGR?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Yes it does.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
hunt1moore
Senior User
I was told by a couple of people I have ordered aft. market parts from that the early '99 V-10's with the EGR do not have the PI heads. I have an early '99 V-10 also with the EGR.
I assume that they went to PI heads when the eliminated the EGR, or, more accurately, the motor didn't need the EGR with the PI heads.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Again, PI heads started for Model year 2000. No other cutoff. 99 is non-PI, 2000+ is PI.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Hey Art sorry didn't see tour earlier post for some reason. I'll let it be until I rebuild the motor
Thanks all. I'll let you know how the tune works out. From what everyone says it'll be an improvement.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well filled it with 89 yesterday and loaded the tune while it was filling. Strictly around town I got a little less then 12mpg on stock tune. I can say so far that it seems more responsive and I think it even sounds different / better. A deaper more throtty sound. I think it holds gear longer without down shifting when around 50-60. Well I'll run a few tanks and drive it a bit and we'll see.
Thanks again for all the info

Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us updated, curious to see how it makes a difference.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Well it's been almost a week now and here is what I know.
I know the gas guage is a very unreliable marker. If I park on the street, pull forward into my driveway, or back in when I start the truck it reads different. One would think that if it read low because I was parked up hill that once I got on leave ground the guage would come back up. Anyway...

I've put over 150 miles on it this week. and the guage, even with it's funcky operation, is telling me that there has been a significant mileage improvement. By now I'd be around the half tank mark and I'm somewhere just under the 3/4 mark. I'll probably put gas in it this wekend and figure out my MPG and let you know next week.

I'm not a dyno but acceleration has improved. It's got more get up and go. Still has trouble with WOT top end while getting on the freeway but I'm sure that has more to do with its breathing problem due to the intake, heads, and exhaust on this year of V10.

The shifting is better. When passing a vehical at about 50, unless I really lay into the throttle, it just takes off smoothly without downshifting needlessly.

So if I even get a couple of MPG improvment the tuner will have paid for itself by time I make the round trip to Wisconsin later next month.

So after I put gas in it this weekend then I'll drive it until the low fuel light comes on. Before I could barely make 300 miles before I had to refill. It'll be nice to make it a little farther on a tank.

Quick Reply: Got my 5S tuner and programs