Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low boost troubles

 
  #1  
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
low boost troubles

I've did some searches and haven't found anything to solve my problem. I keep getting the low boost code on my truck
Truck has 133k, HPx, FRx, new boots and clamps,plenium inserts, dp tuner set on 60tow, 4in down pipe/5in exhaust. Truck makes 18-19psi and will get to 1200 pre turbo on the egt, and it smokes.
I've done the leak check to 15psi and found nothing, but I didn't soap anything just listened. I'm wondering if the EBPV is letting some boost out the pipe. What do you think, what should I check. Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
 
  #2  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
BigAlsPSD's Avatar
BigAlsPSD
BigAlsPSD is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pea Ridge, AR
Posts: 5,470
BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
What about the MAP line going from the spider to the sensor? Is it in place and in good condition? The EBPV is just a butterfly valve inside the downpipe essentially so no other "tube" to lose it.
 
  #3  
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The line to the map had a small leak in it at the spider and I fixed that.
If I understand the EBPV right it is what opens when the truck is cold and "dumps" into the exhaust so the truck will not make any boost. Correct me if I'm wrong. Could it be open some, causing my low boost and higher egt's. Or what else should I look for?

It did this before I replaced the ic boots/clamps and inserts. I also checked the charger for play when I had it apart and everything looked good.
 
  #4  
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
bama29fan's Avatar
bama29fan
bama29fan is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 1,411
bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
do you have the red line hooked up to the wastegate? my boost was about the same as yours...then i unhooked the wastegate and i can hit 25'ish in a DP 40tow
 
  #5  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Fulltimer50's Avatar
Fulltimer50
Fulltimer50 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Needles CA KOA
Posts: 151
Fulltimer50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Insley95 View Post
The line to the map had a small leak in it at the spider and I fixed that.
If I understand the EBPV right it is what opens when the truck is cold and "dumps" into the exhaust so the truck will not make any boost. Correct me if I'm wrong. Could it be open some, causing my low boost and higher egt's. Or what else should I look for?

It did this before I replaced the ic boots/clamps and inserts. I also checked the charger for play when I had it apart and everything looked good.
I believe you are thinking of the waste gate not the EBPV which is an exhaust restricter to help with warm up.

It is possible that your problem is the waste gate or the actuator which is known to be weak.
 
  #6  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bama29fan View Post
do you have the red line hooked up to the wastegate? my boost was about the same as yours...then i unhooked the wastegate and i can hit 25'ish in a DP 40tow
When I bought the truck a couple years ago the red line was unhook, I hooked it bad and its been that was ever since.
 
  #7  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Peter@DP-Tuner's Avatar
[email protected]
Peter@DP-Tuner is offline
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Monterey Bay. CA
Posts: 72
Peter@DP-Tuner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Peter@DP-Tuner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Why dont you do a test with the red line hooked to the wastegate and one test with the red line unhooked and plugged. See if there is a difference in the two in the amount of maximum boost you can make
 
__________________
Peter

Forum Technical Support
www.dp-tuner.com
Use PM's to reach me!
  #8  
Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
MR5x5
MR5x5 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 471
MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Low boost code - Do you have a "P" number for what you're seeing? Have you ever seen it display higher than 19 lb boost? Do you have a boost fooler installed? What is the condition of your turbine wheel?
 
  #9  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DP-TunerTech View Post
Why dont you do a test with the red line hooked to the wastegate and one test with the red line unhooked and plugged. See if there is a difference in the two in the amount of maximum boost you can make
On my 80e tune with the red line plugged in it makes 24psi, unplugged 26psi and my boost gauge line comes off the hot side ic pipe(was that way when I bought the truck).

MR5x5 the wheel looks and feels good, I just did boots, plenuim insert, HPx, FRx and rebuilt the fuel bowl less than a month ago and I checked it then.

I called clay at riffraff to see what he thougth, he said check the up pipes, I did and no leaks.
So I deceided to do anther leak check and the truck wouldn't hold any psi, it was leaking were the turbo meets the spider! I'll finish putting it back together tomorrow.
 
  #10  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
MR5x5
MR5x5 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 471
MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused... Are you saying it's making 24/26 psi now? What am I missing??

Is this an 80E vs 60tow comparison??

the 80E numbers look in line... I'm assuming you have a boost fooler installed or you would not be getting those numbers on 80E.
 
  #11  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MR5x5 View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused... Are you saying it's making 24/26 psi now? What am I missing??

Is this an 80E vs 60tow comparison??

the 80E numbers look in line... I'm assuming you have a boost fooler installed or you would not be getting those numbers on 80E.
It makes 24 on the 80e tune with the red line pluged n, 26 on 80e with the red line off. Both numbers are with the leak. And I don't have a boost fooler.
 
  #12  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
bama29fan's Avatar
bama29fan
bama29fan is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 1,411
bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Insley95 View Post
I've did some searches and haven't found anything to solve my problem. I keep getting the low boost code on my truck
Truck has 133k, HPx, FRx, new boots and clamps,plenium inserts, dp tuner set on 60tow, 4in down pipe/5in exhaust. Truck makes 18-19psi and will get to 1200 pre turbo on the egt, and it smokes.
I've done the leak check to 15psi and found nothing, but I didn't soap anything just listened. I'm wondering if the EBPV is letting some boost out the pipe. What do you think, what should I check. Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
I thought you were only getting 18 to 19? If you are now getting 24 to 26 then you are ok?
 
  #13  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Insley95
Insley95 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 98
Insley95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well i put things back together this morning and rechecked for leaks, nothing. Took it for a drive, on 80e and the red line pluged in it makes 27psi, way less smoke, less egt's and more power.
 
  #14  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
MR5x5
MR5x5 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 471
MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Without a boost fooler the truck will "de-fuel" iself automatically around 21 psi and you will go no higher.... The numbers you're giving are within reasonable tollerance of that number, although they are a bit to extremes of expected tollerances.

Assuming you want to get more boost...and who wouldn't there are a number of place to pick one up. I'd start with sight sponsers myself. 10 minute install.
 
  #15  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
MR5x5
MR5x5 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 471
MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MR5x5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Intersting that you are making those numbers without a boost fooler. I did not think a chip could defeat that function??? Who's tunes are you running?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low boost troubles


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.