6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Best flashlight you carry in your 2011 SD

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
flyinnuts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinnuts
Surefire E2D LED Defender. Small, bright (200 lumens) and it fits very nicely on the AR also.
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
As I mentioned earlier, the SureFires are a well built light but fell out of favor with me. My main pet peeve is that they continue to use CR123A batteries for most of their products. Yeah, they can be stored for a while because they are a lithium battery, but if you use your flashlight on a regular basis, they will eat you out house and home unless you look into rechargeables.

Here is the specs for the Defender:

Technical Information Max Output: 5/200 lumens* Runtime: 76/1.9 hours* *low/high settings Length: 5.4" Weight: 3.7 oz Battery: Two CR123A lithiums

Note that the 76 hour run time is on 5 Lumens! That is like a candle...

Current price for a single CR123A is between $3 and $5 each for a name brand. I have been down the generic battery path and they just don't hold up.

In all fairness to SureFire, I haven't looked into whether they offer more standard battery lights.
Marauder,

The costco light seems to be a excellent choice depending on your MO. I will order one for the house(thanks for the link). I will also agree the surefire can eat some cr123's, but fortunately I am not tasked with paying the battery invoice, so in the end the size, brightness and the dual role capabilities of the surefire most accurately fits my operations specifications.

and 5 lumens is sometimes all I need or want.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't just look at lumens. If the optics are no good the light won't be focused correctly and you'll end up with a really bright flash light but one that only illuminates things within a few feet of you (which may be what you're looking for). I recently bought a LED 2-D cell maglite and am very impressed with it. Both Amazon.com and Home Depot had really good prices on it. Surprisingly the price at Walmart was much higher than Home Depot and Amazon.com.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
See Maurader? We're not the only flashlight geeks out there! There's more of us lurking in the shadows (with a really cool flashlight at the ready).

Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone see the ad at the bottom?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
Anyone see the ad at the bottom?
I saw it a few times and thought it was a pretty neat coincidence! Definitely more relevant than the "Win free spark plugs" sticky at the top of the forum!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
SDOffroad
New User
I seen this flashlight when I was picking up my dually d2's at Rigid Industries and it was very bright yet small and light. The flashlight is also rechargeable.

Halo Flashlight

Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Nothing but Mag-Lites and Duracells here.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Mine is a Streamlight lithium-ion rechargeable. C4 led 160 lumens, bright enough for what I need. I mounted it to the base of the b-pillar just inside the drivers door.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
If you buy your CR123A in bulk I pay around $2.50 a piece. I find with my surefire 15 lumens is plenty of power most of the time. The lens and reflectors are of a high quality and focus the light quite well. 200 lumens really lights thing up. Most who see it in use are amazed at how powerful such a small light is. I carry a couple of extra batteries in the console and they store well. Certainly like the look of some of the other examples posted, think I need to make a trip to the local Costco.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
bit_bucket
Junior User
The one on my AR-15 when it is with me.

-Bit

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
See Maurader? We're not the only flashlight geeks out there! There's more of us lurking in the shadows (with a really cool flashlight at the ready).
Too funny! It is almost like an illness, isn't it? One year my wife rounded up all the flashlights she could find to prove I didn't need another on my Christmas list. After counting through 20 of them, I didn't have the heart (or guts) to tell her there was about another dozen in the cars and the garages.

There is just something about the technology that fascinates me...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by doczenith1
Don't just look at lumens. If the optics are no good the light won't be focused correctly and you'll end up with a really bright flash light but one that only illuminates things within a few feet of you (which may be what you're looking for).
So true! This thread hasn't even begun to touch on topics like a flashlight's lux. These topics were the driving justification with my wife to feed my habit. "Honey, this new flashlight has a better range than the one I bought last week."

Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by flyinnuts
Marauder,
so in the end the size, brightness and the dual role capabilities of the surefire most accurately fits my operations specifications.

and 5 lumens is sometimes all I need or want.
Exactly some of the justifications I have used with the Mrs. Marauder to buy flashlights! I do have a few SureFires in different applications. One is mounted on my Defender 590 and I have one in my airplane. SureFire's quality is very good and although pricey, the CR123As do have a long shelf life...

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Too funny! It is almost like an illness, isn't it? One year my wife rounded up all the flashlights she could find to prove I didn't need another on my Christmas list. After counting through 20 of them, I didn't have the heart (or guts) to tell her there was about another dozen in the cars and the garages.

There is just something about the technology that fascinates me...
Marauder, Epic,
If you haven't already, you must go to the Shot Show. It is gun, knife, flashlight geek heaven.
NSSF SHOT Show - Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show - SHOT Show
I've been there twice while doing design work for First-Light USA, and it is a blast. Any kind of gear for hunting, LE or military, you will see it at this show. The last time I went was in 2008, it took me two full days to walk every isle. Surefire's booth had a second floor. The best part of the show is the end of last day, some exhibitors will start selling there display items.

-Gavin

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Marauder, Epic,
If you haven't already, you must go to the Shot Show. It is gun, knife, flashlight geek heaven.
NSSF SHOT Show - Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show - SHOT Show
I've been there twice while doing design work for First-Light USA, and it is a blast. Any kind of gear for hunting, LE or military, you will see it at this show. The last time I went was in 2008, it took me two full days to walk every isle. Surefire's booth had a second floor. The best part of the show is the end of last day, some exhibitors will start selling there display items.

-Gavin
Gavin -- this is VERY, VERY bad! Not only will this trade show feed my flashlight addiction, it also will feed my hunting one!

Looks like a great show and based on the exhibitor's list, a bunch of vendors I would love to see. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Quick Reply: Best flashlight you carry in your 2011 SD