Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the mudding game. Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's already a hyd roller cam setup, the spring pressures are really not much different than regular hyd flat tappet springs. So, as long as you don't go with a super huge lift you will probably be fine. I would look more at changing the duration and separation than lift. With ANY cam swap, you really should check clarances when you install the cam. PV clearance as well as coil bind are huge factors. No matter what cam you go with, the limitations of the untouched heads will cause more of an affect than anything. By the time you put $300 into a cam and another $150-200ish into springs, find a good shop to put the larger exhaust valve into those heads and run it.

The other thing is the eddy carb. It's fine for a basic runner where you don't care too much about power, but a swap to a Holley vac secondary carb that has been tuned to your needs will make much more power.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Roller cams are spendy.

But yes, big cam and springs make a big difference!!

I'm lookin at gathering parts for 400 hp on my 94...

Cam, heads, intake, carb.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Kirbys73F100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatdan460
no suggestions, but i'd like to get this out of the way before anyone makes any jokes about it.

i'd fork that truck right in the tailpipe. 80's truck on gumbo mudders is win!!!! in my book.
You sure??

Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Kirby that's a nice truck there!!

I may just do the heads and rockers for now. I'm not trying to impress anyone at the moment. Chicks dig it as it is

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kirbys73F100
You sure??

yeah, i'm sure, but i damn sure wouldn't fork your's in the tailpipe. might catch the kirbagonasyphilitis :flipoff:

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
I plan on getting dart heads or something along those lines for the other motor. Gonna need a new carb then too sooooo.... Yeah I think the cam can wait for now. I'll just swap on the heads and rockers and maybe an intake and b happy. For now anyways

Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Well I'm headin out to play this weekend. Got my roll bar in and my seats in the bed bolted in. Got two bucket seats facing the rear close to the cab and a senter consol between them. I also have a bench seat facing the front in the rear of the bed. That way i don't need a tail gate and people can get in and out without a problem and eaves room in the middle for people to sit down. Also got some OH Sh** handles on the roll bar and on the bed rails. Should be fun.

Anyways, I found a Efan set up. Should i just wire it to the batery and a switch with an inline fuse? Got the thermostat drilled out. Does it really matter if i use coolant or water? They have places out there that has an endless supply of water out there to clean off the trucks and what not when you are done muddin. SHould i worry about coolant or just run water when im out there?

I am also wondering what i need to do to hook up the kick down rod on my 1406 Edlebrock. I tried hooking it up the way it came from the parts store, but it kept getting hung up. Does someone have a close up picture of how theirs is set up? Do i need an attachment or something?

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help

Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
I just run water. With my setup a few years ago Id throw in some water wetter to help with cooling but its not necessary with my current deal - well at least not with the last motor.

Im running my fan off a fuse block with 10ga wire and a switch panel.

No reason 10ga wire, a good fuse (not the little glass fuses) and a switch rated for the amount of amps your fan pulls wont work for a mud truck. If it were constant duty/street driven Id suggest relays on the high and low side but I think you'll be fine.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Cool sounds like a plan. Should I leave in the fan shroud or take it out of there?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Which shroud?

I'd take the factory mechanical shroud off the radiator unless it fit the whole electric fan setup real nice. Regardless keep the electric fan shroud attached to the fan motor because without it you're pissing in the wind.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
Which shroud?

I'd take the factory mechanical shroud off the radiator unless it fit the whole electric fan setup real nice. Regardless keep the electric fan shroud attached to the fan motor because without it you're pissing in the wind.
Yeah I was referring to the factory shroud. Thanks for your help

Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Anytime <fiiiiiiill>

Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
Anytime <fiiiiiiill>
Wouldn't happen to know what parts I would need to hook up my kick down rod to my edlebrock 1406 would you? Is the rod supposed to have like a ball in the end with a hole through the middle to attach to the throttle? If so I'll need a new rod. That should be fun to find...

Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
The ball and socket should be for your throttle. The kickdown rod attaches to the other arm on the driver side of your carb. I think the last time I had a kickdown rod on my engine I used a bolt.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
[quote=BRay09;10752847]Well I'm headin out to play this weekend. Got my roll bar in and my seats in the bed bolted in. Got two bucket seats facing the rear close to the cab and a senter consol between them. I also have a bench seat facing the front in the rear of the bed. That way i don't need a tail gate and people can get in and out without a problem and eaves room in the middle for people to sit down. Also got some OH Sh** handles on the roll bar and on the bed rails. Should be fun.
LALALALALA Very nice
Going to be fun time.

Quick Reply: New to the mudding game. Some questions...